A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Nice 6802 you have on Ebay ATM.Notice the 'X' classification on the cabside.....obviously a favoured engine then.V.tasty indeed.Was it a PZ loco ?

As others have said - Reading

He's not there as he seems to gone awol.

He's currently occupying the Iron Bulleid - so I've been informed  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

In that livery period Ian it was allocated to Reading.

Thanks Robin. My earliest memories of Granges were from an August holiday in Penzance in 1953. This was mainly spent at the station or walking up the beach alongside the line to Marazion.Every other loco seemed to be a Grange. The Riviera was Brit hauled from to and from Plymouth.

Thus if it was aReading loco,the X classification would mean it might have been a standby engine for failures in and out of Paddington. Granges were always held in high esteem by GW footplate men.

Talking of X rating....this is a "family" thread after all,Marazion beach was where my late father distinguished himself whilst demonstrating to me .....aged 11...,,the way to man up and dive under an oncoming wave. Which he duly did and emerged triumphantly from the ocean ......with his swimming trunks positioned inelegantly wrapped around both ankles. I can't recall any wolf whistles from a passing train.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robin. My earliest memories of Granges were from an August holiday in Penzance in 1953. This was mainly spent at the station or walking up the beach alongside the line to Marazion.Every other loco seemed to be a Grange. The Riviera was Brit hauled from to and from Plymouth.

Thus if it was aReading loco,the X classification would mean it might have been a standby engine for failures in and out of Paddington. Granges were always held in high esteem by GW footplate men.

Talking of X rating....this is a "family" thread after all,Marazion beach was where my late father distinguished himself whilst demonstrating to me .....aged 11...,,the way to man up and dive under an oncoming wave. Which he duly did and emerged triumphantly from the ocean ......with his swimming trunks positioned inelegantly wrapped around both ankles. I can't recall any wolf whistles from a passing train.

X means that the loco can haul heavier loads than stated by the Power/Weight Classification Disc.

The X came in during WW2, along with the re-positioning of the disc to just above the cabside number plate (to make it easier to see under blackout conditions)

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

X means that the loco can haul heavier loads than stated by the Power Classification Disc.

The X came in during WW2, along with the re-positioning of the disc to just above the cabside number plate (to make it easier to see under blackout conditions)

Which is why I refer to it as a standby loco.Not infrequently westbound trains arrived at their destination without their diagrammed loco but with one bearing ....in BR days at least.....the 81D code,the rostered King,Castle,County etc.having given up the ghost at Reading.

Granges were even seen on shed at 86J and frequently worked the Vale of Neath line.We knew a regular footplate man there who if given a Grange to work with thought it the finest loco under the sun.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Which is why I refer to it as a standby loco.Not infrequently westbound trains arrived at their destination without their diagrammed loco but with one bearing ....in BR days at least.....the 81D code,the rostered King,Castle,County etc.having given up the ghost at Reading.

Granges were even seen on shed at 86J and frequently worked the Vale of Neath line.We knew a regular footplate man there who if given a Grange to work with thought it the finest loco under the sun.

Funnily enough I have a 86A (Ebbw Junction) based Grange and a 83E (St Blazey) based one in my Ebay sales pile...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I have a 86A (Ebbw Junction) based Grange and a 83E (St Blazey) based one in my Ebay sales pile...

Tempting......as indeed is 6802.Partial to one with 3500 gal tender.

Unsure about Hornby's latest offerings.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Unsure about Hornby's latest offerings.

I've been lucky with both of the current releases, besides a few bits of styrene fixes the missing lubricator ;)

post-7000-0-49078900-1532363850_thumb.jpg

And some subtle weathering fixes Hornby's dipped in s!*t weathering on an older release.

post-7000-0-67348100-1532363974_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I've been lucky with both of the current releases, besides a few bits of styrene fixes the missing lubricator ;)

attachicon.gif6014_rh.jpg

And some subtle weathering fixes Hornby's dipped in s!*t weathering on an older release.

attachicon.gif6829_lh.jpg

Far too dirty but I've succumbed to another one with the smaller tender but keep it to yourself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He says, as the same unmarked Ford Transit drives slowly past 81C's abode for the 5th time ;)

That will be the SiL wondering if his ears are going to be laid back he's not in my good books at the moment. :threaten:  

• RMweb Gold

Caption contest :

attachicon.gifDSCN3953.JPG

If they bring in a hosepipe ban we're stuffed.

"Iv I 'ad a parnd fer evry soddin'bloke I seen wiv a blady camrer, I'd be ur flippin' rich marn an' nar mistake. Woodner 'ave to stard ear pullin' this soddin' chain neever.....an' anuvver fing....'

Rob.

post-14122-0-15961400-1532378392.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4