A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

No.

Sorry, Brian!

Actually, belay that thought - the glass fibre/plastic one that replaced the original rusting one at Dawlish is supposed to be an exact copy.

No, I'm not joking about the materials used!

Is it a Gaugemaster or the original Hornby version?

No.

Sorry, Brian!

Actually, belay that thought - the glass fibre/plastic one that replaced the original rusting one at Dawlish is supposed to be an exact copy.

No, I'm not joking about the materials used!

It happened in the late 1980s, as far as I can recall, although Re6/6 may know better.

It was a complete replacement, the original bridge was written off.

The Engineer in charge of that operation later became a good colleague of mine, but unfortunately had the misfortune to be in charge of a job a few years later when one of his gang, in charge of a R/R machine, managed to demolish a signal gantry controlling the Up Main on Dainton Bank, only a few miles away.

Materials chosen,  I suppose, to combat the local salty atmosphere, Did the construction details appear in any of the technical or general circulation magazines? Since it is being replaced do we know why?? Did it become unsafe, or fall foul of accessibility regulations? 

• RMweb Gold

You don’t fancy tackling the etched brass kit of the prototype then Rich.

When it gets to Market I will be seriously tempted to give it a go, especially having had the prototype in my hands and seen it up close.  However I think my Hornby / Plasticard hybrid is good enough to start with. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Materials chosen, I suppose, to combat the local salty atmosphere, Did the construction details appear in any of the technical or general circulation magazines? Since it is being replaced do we know why?? Did it become unsafe, or fall foul of accessibility regulations?

The old steel one became unsafe and was replaced by an identical one moulded from grey plastic.

No idea re: technical journals, sorry. The replacement was also nothing to do with accessibility regulations and Dawlish remains a problem area in that regard.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

While I await a proper response from Dumb, Dumber & Dumberer at Airfix over missing and malformed parts...

... I decided to make a start on this little Fokker  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

post-7000-0-94639400-1532025401_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the patina on the knife TBG. I have a few but come back to the one I have had since I was a teenager.......similar appearance.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Love the patina on the knife TBG. I have a few but come back to the one I have had since I was a teenager.......similar appearance.

Rob.

I've had that particular X-Acto for over 34 years...

(Since I was 11 to be precise)

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Here's something better made. 

post-8647-0-98894900-1532095875_thumb.jpg

It's the first locomotive for my latest creation The Charwallah and Tetley Hill Rly

to be renamed "GUNGA DIN" new plates are on their way from Narrow Planet. 

A Gupta

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I would of thought Bunged It in would be a much better name  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

That might be the next one It all depends on how far I get carried away with it.

C Hapatti

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

Well, would you Adam and Eve it.....

My friend has lent me one of those for Cold! and it's called Peggy as well......

post-8925-0-57032400-1532105803_thumb.jpg

Lovely little loco's and very well made.

It's these little things that might drive me back to 009!

post-8925-0-57032400-1532105803_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9