A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Hi All,

Don't you just love the way that the Captain cuts down to the nub of the matter?

Absolutely right my good Bishop - No. 48518. It's only just part of the collection but it gives us a bit of variety! It could also be said that it's an inside out 28XX with a county boiler perhaps?

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A little birdie tells me they’re installing a new footbridge at Totnes, Not as aesthetically pleasing as the old GWR type.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A little birdie tells me they’re installing a new footbridge at Totnes, Not as aesthetically pleasing as the old GWR type.

You could build a new bread pudding manufacturery faster than NR are building the new footbridge.

It's going to be one of those awful, tall, overpowering modern ones with lifts in the towers and steps as well. I don't know why NR felt that Totnes was a priority for one of these, as there is 'level access' between the platforms by using the existing public road bridge.

Stations like Dawlish are in more urgent need of a 'disabled-friendly' footbridge.

They have also obliterated the former station garden and pond on the upside, although they 'promised' to replace it with 'something equivilent elsewhere on the station'. Who knows whether this will actually transpire.

Not sure how the access to the signalbox cafe will be arranged, clearly a set of new steps but not sure whether they'll acquire some sort of disabled-friendly access as well.

It's change though, so I don't like it on principle.

• RMweb Premium

But, but you need the footbridge to get into the cafe, and they do cooked sausages and stuff, and they’re not electrifying down there for another two hundred years. With you all the way, capten.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like an 8F.

Possibly squeeze one onto Bleat..........

• Like 3

Are any of the replacement bridges as aesthetically pleasing as the old GWR type!?

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I thought there had been a partial rebuild of the footbridge, after the original was struck by a crane, i can't remember how long ago, that the mishap, happened.

• RMweb Gold

Are any of the replacement bridges as aesthetically pleasing as the old GWR type!?

Brian.

No.

Sorry, Brian!

Actually, belay that thought - the glass fibre/plastic one that replaced the original rusting one at Dawlish is supposed to be an exact copy.

No, I'm not joking about the materials used!

• RMweb Gold

I thought there had been a partial rebuild of the footbridge, after the original was struck by a crane, i can't remember how long ago, that the mishap, happened.

It happened in the late 1980s, as far as I can recall, although Re6/6 may know better.

It was a complete replacement, the original bridge was written off.

The Engineer in charge of that operation later became a good colleague of mine, but unfortunately had the misfortune to be in charge of a job a few years later when one of his gang, in charge of a R/R machine, managed to demolish a signal gantry controlling the Up Main on Dainton Bank, only a few miles away.

• RMweb Gold

My my you are very lucid today your Duckship nice to see some one happy .

BTW did you hear Mike went @sre over B0llOx yesterday in the bedroom

and ended up in  A&E he is back home now, he said he's OK just a bit bruised.

A Hack.

Bumped from SOSJ

Edited by 81C