A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Hi Guys,

I can shed some light on the layout. The Late Peter England built Brent, it did a number of exhibitions in the Melbourne area before being sold to a friend of mine.I was lucky enough to be asked by Peter to help operate Brent at several shows and it always performed well with plenty of trains to run and shunt in the small yard. The branch line curves round to it's own small fiddle yard so at an exhibition there was always plenty going on.

Derek bought the layout and we set it up in has garage which I had helped him insulate to make a dry and fairly dust free room. Several loco's and wagons were bought from Peter, but most of the other stock was eventually sold to another BRMA member who bought another layout that Peter England built after Brent.

Derek set about buying suitable stock to run and the large fiddle yards were quite well filled and quite a lot of the stock had been weathered. Brent was still running quite well but was showing signs of it's age. During early 2000 Derek sold the layout to Chev32. I can't  recall his name but I haven't seen him for a number of years but from what I understand he has had health issues and the layout is still stored in boxes in a barn.

I will ask Derek if he has anymore pics. I have a video of Brent running that Peter had done showing a number of trains running, though I am not sure where it is.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here is a link to the thread I've started, showing some of the line side vegetation removal sites along various back lanes that was mentioned a few days ago on this thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121407-vegetation-cutting-back-in-south-devon-improvements-to-line-side-views/

• Like 2

I'm in Devon in July is the layout for general viewing ?.

N.O.Se-B'tard

Just to clarify Chris Lamacrafts layout of Ashburton is now on permanent display in the railway museum at Buckfastliegh and is a static display except when there are any events planned. Chris or members of the museum operate it on event days only.

Hope this helps anyone wishing to see his excellent model.

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

Here is a link to the thread I've started, showing some of the line side vegetation removal sites along various back lanes that was mentioned a few days ago on this thread - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121407-vegetation-cutting-back-in-south-devon-improvements-to-line-side-views/

Wow that's extreme. Does that mean electrification is coming ?!

• RMweb Gold

post-126-0-26684200-1490807072_thumb.jpg

Nice, but not a great model when compared to yours Robin. The devil is in the details.

NO CORDYLINES!

How could he have missed them....   Unforgivable...    :punish:   :fool:

:jester:

I can't see any Devils on Robs layout !!!  :diablo_mini:

Old Nick

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

How about a 28xx this weekend Rob?? Unless you are off to Wem Ber Lee

Mao Tse Tung

We are the Sky Blue Army and we're off to Wembley,Wem Ber Lee. :sungum:

3864 tomorrow then if I can a chance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How about a 28xx this weekend Rob?? Unless you are off to Wem Ber Lee

Mao Tse Tung  Alexander

Can't go wrong with a 28xx heavy freight and all that.

Box Car Billy

I thought Scalefour North was in Wakefield?

What's happening in Wembley then, or is it that National Convention of Professional Baristas gathering?

I believe there will be a competition of sorts, let's hope it's not too windy eh?

post-20303-0-06631100-1490993998_thumb.jpeg

K.Wolstenholme

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't care what anyone else says, it's not the real Brent without the Finching Sisters, and Mr Warburton, and the grubby Mogul and the cordylines, and the nice Grange.......... and Robin, and CK, Colin and the Duck, and 2MSpams............

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For such a puissant loco, the tender looks a little modest. After all these were intended for heavy freight. I know that because Deb had a tee-shirt many years ago with a pic of one and the words 'heavy freight' across her chest. The ensemble - and 'contents' - were much admired by a number of enthusiasts.

• RMweb Premium

For such a puissant loco, the tender looks a little modest. After all these were intended for heavy freight. I know that because Deb had a tee-shirt many years ago with a pic of one and the words 'heavy freight' across her chest. The ensemble - and 'contents' - were much admired by a number of enthusiasts.

Didn't that Tube driver who won Mastermind years ago also wear one of those?

• RMweb Premium

Didn't that Tube driver who won Mastermind years ago also wear one of those?

He did and I have to boast that I got two more points than him including the general Knowledge (in which I normally only get about 2 corrtect answers). Chris something and he takes part in a TV Quiz called Eggheads or something similar.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

He did and I have to boast that I got two more points than him including the general Knowledge (in which I normally only get about 2 corrtect answers). Chris something and he takes part in a TV Quiz called Eggheads or something similar.

P

That's the fella!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hughes_(quiz_contestant)