Dobris In HO - (pronounced Dobzhreesh) - Last show for 2023 was Fareham

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

After building Smrzovka with a few friends, A new layout this time in HO has been in the back of my mind for some time now.

With the now readily available sound fitted locos and other rather nice HO stock this one would have to be primarily for shunting so a branch line terminus would be the preference.
Josefuv Dul the terminus of the branch from Smrzovka was a strong candidate. However this may now be built as an add on TT section to Smrzovka.

Having been to Dobríš a few years back when it had a number of locos sitting there and our train of rail car trailers hauled by a class 714 we decided to make a return trip today.

No locos there when we arrived this time but many of the sidings have recently had traffic.

So some 50 plus photos later we are sitting in a bar near the station!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete

It should have the hardcheck over the 's' as we found out when buying the ticket today that it is pronounced (edited) 'Dobzhreesh'.

Will upload some photos when back in the hotel room tonight.

On our way back to Prague to visit a few model shops that take credit cards..could get messy!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to this one, now you've got me interested in Czech TT, i'm looking for a trackplan for a 8' x 18" board.....

Well I have been in two model shops and although I was after HO I couldnt resist buying some more TT.

However I did get a HO class 810 4 wheel railcar and a couple of bogie open wagons that are often used to transport logs.

Czech station track layout is all very similar with numerous loops and a few sidings.

I will post a hand drawn track plan of Dobríš later

Meanwhile its back to some superb dark beer in a superb bar in Prague.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

We have seen class 749 Bardokas there in the past on freight.

Class 742s used to haul some passenger services on the adjacent line to Cercany so yes it's possible that they got to Dobris aswell

Edited by roundhouse

We have seen class 749 Bardokas there in the past on freight.

Class 742s used to haul some passenger services on the adjacent line to Cercany so yes it's possible that they got to Dobris aswell

I'm amazed that you can take in and remember all this info from around the World, Ian!

I'm still having problems telling modern American locos apart.........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I do forget but having internet and plenty of photos does help.

We have been to the Czech Republic many times as its only 2 hours by plane and like this trip we oftrn work our way backthroughh Germany and Belgium to return on Eurostar.

Just arrived in Basel with a great view of the trams and railway but not quite as close to the tracks as we were last night in Nurenburg!

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A photo of the ready to run HO class 810 railcar purchased in Prague.

I havent had it apart yet but I think there is a socket for a decoder inside it.

Will need a few trailers to go with it.

It is fitted with NEM pockets so the current coupler willl be removed and Kadees fitted

post-1557-151439_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now that I am back from  our trip I have fonud a few photos from our previous trip to Dobris back in 2005.

A  misty morning with a class 714 on a train of 4 wheel trailers. It dropped one off into a siding before returning to Prague.

A Bardoka was sitting in the sidings with a brake van and although I didnt get a photo of them I think that through the mist there is a raek of open wagons next to the timber dock.

I am not sure if they load or unload timber here so some more research is needed then a method of doing which ever in model form so that wagons gain or lose their load. Could be tricky to do but I will find a way, hopefully!

Ian

post-1557-0-67654000-1365420543_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-86675600-1365420552_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-61530300-1365420560_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-28784400-1365420644_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A few photos found on internet.

http://www.z220.org/german/johnbartolotto2/page005.shtml

http://www.z220.org/german/johnbartolotto2/page007.shtml

And here is a link showing the rail bridge over the river Vltavou where the junction for the Dobris line diverges from the line to Cercany

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3ASkochovice-Dobriska%20vetev.jpg/-/en

A rather nice map of the route

http://www.flickr.com/photos/my_postcrossing/4409624110/

The double deck coaches are available in HO so they may be on our shopping list on our next trip 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39593895@N08/5768387170

• Like 1

I really like those double deck Coaches, I've just ordered one in TT scale.(Keuhn 41263)

Looks like an interesting track plan, but rather alot of points for a smallish space, I count 15, i'm not saying it's not right just thinking of the cost of all those points!

• RMweb Gold

Squeeky

Those double deck coaches often run in pairs with a single deck BD (brake second).

Yes quite a few turnouts. Yet to check it will fit the space along with the double slip.

I will buy the track in batches over a couple of months to ease the pain especially if I decide to go with Tillig HO track.

If it all fits then it will make an in interesting layout to shunt.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The goggles acquired at the Nottingham show last month had a run today.

Seen here at the Prague roundhouse...well ok its really a US layoit in disguise!

We had it running before the Amersham show opened this morning.

This loco is yet to have all the detailing bits in the Roco box Kadees fitted then weathered

post-1557-0-17697300-1365874004_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

At the weekend I managed to get the body off the Bramos class 810 4 wheel railcar. It has quite a few clips on the sides and one at each cab end so its a bit fiddly to unclip.

Upon opening I found that there is a DCC 8 pin socket, so a small decoder install is easy.

However the intention is to fit sound which might require a little bit of hacking to find space. These railcars have a toilet compartment so the speaker or decoder might go in there.

The Zimo decoder that is factory fitted into the Roco Goggles is good and the sound files are available for the railcar as per the link below:

http://sounds.artol.sk/810-en/

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I had a little bit of time to play with XtrkCAD so I have drawn up the plan below using Peco Medium radius turnouts.

So far everything is fitting into a 12ft by 2ft scenic section with a further 4 ft for a fiddleyard (shown as just a single track for now). This may change to have another bolt on 2 ft or the track plan squeezed up a touch to allow a couple of turnouts in the fiddleyard.

Also I may move the track further into the centre of the plan to allow more room for the building and the siding off the double slip.

A bit of thinking itme needed now to tweek it all.

Ian

post-1557-0-89223900-1366278750_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That has a lot of operationg potential. Based on the prototype you can have a good mix of freight and passenger services.

Wonder if I can fit that into TT scale on an 8ft board.............

So that's 13 points and a double slip, are you planning on buying the Tillig point kits to save money?

• RMweb Gold

Squeeky

Yes, its one reason I picked this location and our operators who like shunting will be pleased with this I am sure!

Interesting in that there is no engine shed or signs of one as most Czech termini still have one or at least a base and pit to show where it was.

i am sure it would fit in 8 ft plus fiddleyard but with a bit of compression it may well work completely in 8ft.

I am still undecided on what track to use. I may well use Peco for ease of obtaining it. (still waiting for some TT Tillig I ordeed over two weeks ago to add an extra fiddleayrd road on the TT layout).

I sitll havent set a date as to when I will start this but hopefully this year..

The buildings may well get started in the Summer.

Ian

Ian

Having seen Smržovka and operated it, I'm quite looking forward to seeing this new foray into former Eastern Bloc railway modelling.

Some photos taken today.

Using the station name board in the first photo ... 

The sketched track plan done on location today.

... your diacritics are upside down on your track plan. I know I sound pedantic but, being married to a woman who spoke Czech/Slovak before English, I wanted to point it out before you exhibited the layout with such a glaring error - there are a lot of people in this country who've been to the Czech and Slovak Republics!

It should have the hardcheck over the s as we found out when buying the ticket today that it is pronounced 'Dorbrish'.

Given the caron/háček over the R and S and the acute over the I, it's actually pronounced Dobzhreesh.

• RMweb Gold

Alan

Yes I realised they were wrong after posting the sketched plan.

However, I will use the actual nameboard in the photos on the layout so they will be correct. When I re-did the thread name I copied the name form a Czech website but it wouldnt display the 'r' correctly (as has happened in your reply it puts '?' in place of some characters).

Yes, the ticket person at Praha Hlvani station pronounced it as you have spelt it in English - I didnt get it quite right in my attempt.

Thanks for the info.

This layout will be full on DCC with stationary decoders for the turnouts so we will be able to use the wireless control (no control panel will be built so a little bit different to our TT one which is still DC

Ian

• Like 1

Have one on me (I hope): 

ž  Ž Ř ř Š š

Dobříš

Edit - later - the fourth letter was OK when I put it in, was OK when posted, but when I came back to it later, it was displaying as a question mark. However, if I edit the post, it appears OK again.

Completely off topic, but see http://www.redbubble.com/people/novasolus/works/7199479-i-unicode?p=t-shirt for an "I heart Unicode" T-shirt

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1