Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

A very accurate summing up, Mike TBH.

That other abomination ofcourse was the Class 58, the less said about that the better!!

It was quoted somewhere at the time of EWS takeover, the 58 was the most reliable loco in the fleet...............

But that didn't help them survive

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also recall when WC bought up the Railfreight operators that their Chief Engineer came over from the US, was presented with a list of the locos that they had inherited and on investigating their new purchases discovered that a lot of 'Stored Serviceable' locos were in fact effectively derelict or in a few cases had long since been scrapped.

Faced with that run down mess you can see why they decided to effectively ditch the lot and go shopping.

Edited by John M Upton

I seem to recall Ed Burkhardt saying the only ex-BR locos he would retain were classes 08 and 37. He described the latter as "unique beasts" according to one of the many interviews he gave to Rail magazine.

That would appear to be the case as I think 37s and 08 lasted longer in EWS service than any other locos from that era

• RMweb Gold

Is there any modern loco , produced after BR that drivers actually like ? By that I mean 66,67,68,70,88

68s are quite good apart from sitting in the middle and not being able to look back out of side windows.

They are comfortable, good climate control and are quiet in the cab but sound really good outside

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile back on topic....

ACEBA8A7-E87B-442B-BC3B-8BFB4BDBD04F_1.j

Looks like whoever weathered it didn't notice there had been a piece of masking tape used to keep the windscreen wiper marks clean, stuck on the cabside above the number !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

finally get to work a train later, one with a gbrf loco on!

going to didcot to work the swindon scrap back up to landor St.

probably no pics as some scumbag nicked my iphone on saturday night while i was dj'ing in the club at the holiday camp, been a right royal pain in the bum but ive got a new one on the way thanks to the insurance, pretty pointless nicking it really as within 5 mins i'd locked it, tracked it and immobiled both the phone and sim so its worthless, once its powered back up (it had died) i will get its location via find my iphone which should it come live in the holiday camp wont be too hard to pin point which caravan its in, the police told me if it does to call them and they will come and retrieve it, although im under no illusions im ever going to see it again!

Saw the tail end of the biomass hoppers whilst pulling off the spine road so I decided to pull in further up and snap a pic of the 60 on the front. Sadly it was not to be...post-6758-0-20340500-1535367408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

gone a bit dull this topic at the mo, same job this week, training up at the port but ive got no camera to hand until i get the new phone, 60047 again but 60087 has made its way north too, minus its 'clic sargent' nameplates

couldnt even record my first 'proper' job yesterday, didcot to landor st with 66738 "huddersfield town" with a scrap train to sheffield

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

just had a phone call from my wife, the phone has mysteriously turned up at the holiday park in the DJ box, in a place that half a dozen of us checked and checked again both on the night it went missing and the day after so i suspect it may have been 'returned'

just unblocked the sim and i'm waiting on the handset being un-blacklisted so i can use it again, also now got the inconvenience of sending the (thankfully unopened) insurance replacement back and getting my £100 excess back from the bank but at least ive got it back

• Like 10

just had a phone call from my wife, the phone has mysteriously turned up at the holiday park in the DJ box, in a place that half a dozen of us checked and checked again both on the night it went missing and the day after so i suspect it may have been 'returned'

just unblocked the sim and i'm waiting on the handset being un-blacklisted so i can use it again, also now got the inconvenience of sending the (thankfully unopened) insurance replacement back and getting my £100 excess back from the bank but at least ive got it back

May be worth checking to see that something suspicious has not been uploaded onto your phone. Somebody I heard about had something similar happen, and the returned phone had some extra software/malware/virus on it.

• RMweb Gold

ill check that out but it was dead when it went missing and hasnt been powered up or connected to the internet otherwise it would have come up on find my iphone and id have got a notification, but ill still check anyway, thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

If it’s an iPhone and you had iCloud backups on - as an IT person when anything like that has been out of your possession, while it shouldn’t have been touched, always play safe. Go into Settings -> erase all content, then restore to factory defaults, when it comes back up, log into your iCloud account as part of the restore and all your contacts, email, photos etc should be returned, and you have confidence in the phone knowing it’s all ok. Any queries or problems ring Apple, they’re tech guys are good.

Might take 20 minutes of your time but always better to be safe than sorry.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i dont use icloud backups however i did back it up to my home computer last week so when i get home ill restore that back up to it

i should rename this thread again "big jims adventures with iphones"

Yup that will work the same way.  Glad to see your managing to keep the thread going - great insight into the modern day railway, so thank you!  Are the 60s just being used to Lynemouth from Tyne, or did I see a comment that one has ventured down to Drax?  If so, its not all that far from me, I need to get out with the camera!  I suppose it all depends on which drivers sign 60s and their route knowledge?

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you can keep this going now you're with GBRf, always an interesting read. 

Do you have any Letraset or a couple of large "G" and "B" transfers to hand Jim to add to the sides of those 60s...?  

• Like 1