Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

Hi Jim

That last shot you took of the NMT leaving Crewe with that young lad also watching it - that's a really poignant shot - watching something for the final time, the inner child in us all who spent countless hours watching trains leaving stations taking photos.

it was the perfect sign off shot if you ask me.

Good luck at GBRF

• RMweb Gold

Cheers everyone

Well that’s really it, van gone, equipment handed back and not so much as a thank you or hand shake for the last 5 years of my working life, just a cardboard box with the stuff they needed back dumped unceremoniously in the control room, no manager to give me a leaving interview, nothing!

A proper kick in the teeth for me for all I’ve done for them the last 5 years, never felt so dejected in my life when I walked out the door for the last time

Thanks for all Colas!

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

A proper kick in the teeth for me for all I’ve done for them the last 5 years, never felt so dejected in my life when I walked out the door for the last time

Chin up Mate, you are starting anew now. Good Luck in your new Job.

Hi Jim,

Just a line to say 'Thank You' and echo the 'Best Wishes' sentiments of other posters here, all the best for your future mate.

For Me, my personal favourite from your valued contributions was back when we had the snow. You were kind enough to take some excellent pics of the snowplough's in action and document some very interesting workings with the 2x56's. I imagine I am right in saying that this was the biggest deployment of plough's for many years and something just not normally seen in the UK, so for you to capture this and make your pictures and info freely available is something I think of as being truly 'special', Thank You so much.

Best Wishes again for your future, always stay safe and look forward to more from you soon...

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• RMweb Gold

Onwards and upwards Jim all the best with your new venture with GBRf we may pass each other at some stage I'll keep an eye for you.

I agree a bit disheartening when a manager can't be bothered to thank for your time effort.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers everyone

Well that’s really it, van gone, equipment handed back and not so much as a thank you or hand shake for the last 5 years of my working life, just a cardboard box with the stuff they needed back dumped unceremoniously in the control room, no manager to give me a leaving interview, nothing!

It's the same everywhere Jim

I guess they know why you're leaving and some will be jealous you've got out and other's won't want to face the inevitable agreement that things just ain't right.

Edited by woodenhead

Cheers everyone

Thanks for ###### all Colas!

Our lot have an exit interview a locker day and a chat before they go. I feel bad for you after all you have done.

As an ex-HR (road haulage) Manager, I'm really sorry to hear about the way you were allowed to leave, Jim.  Things seem to have changed since my day.  However, thank you for such an interesting thread over the years - I've really enjoyed following it.  I hope (as others have done) that you can do the same with GBRf.  And all the best for your new job with GBRf, too.

Rod

• RMweb Premium

I am very sorry to hear how you were treated. I must count myself lucky that when I took voluntary severance from TfL having completed 15 years on London Underground all those taking VS were invited to 55 Broadway and had tea and biscuits on the top floor with a number of senior managers. While they are nowhere near perfect the Underground could teach Colas a few things on how to treat staff who are leaving.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have an on line form to fill out but I’m not going to, putting nothing in writing as knowing HR they will use it against me somehow

TBH one of the managers the other week, having only met him once before said that when I left I was going to be very detrimental to the comapny by going on line and slagging off the company as all the other drivers have done so, as you can imagine I went absolutely mad with him and pointed out I had almost 200 pages of nothing but positive posts about Colas on here and I suggested he have a look and reconsider what he said to me before ‘assuming’ I would do the same, todays experience however has seriously soured my opinion of Colas middle management, I’m now waiting to see how much of a hash they make if my final paybill!

Love

Disgruntled of crewe

When I left the Fire Brigade to start as a train driver the exit interview was optional, they are a bit pointless anyway.

Agreed but a thank you would have been nice at least!

I even delayed my departure for a day to help them out yesterday with the NMT as they had no driver for it

Edited by big jim

Cheers everyone

Thanks for ###### all Colas!

Perhaps a hard lesson to learn , but that's the industry we work in today.

No matter how much you do to help out, nobody really thinks any better of you , and nobody is beyond replacement. Traincrew are simply assets. Nothing more.

• RMweb Premium

I’m now waiting to see how much of a hash they make if my final paybill!

Love

Disgruntled of crewe

You mean they pay you? I assumed you did out of the goodness of your heart! :jester:

Unfortunately your experience with the manager seems to bear out many complaints these days about such things.

The whole co-ordinated approach to staff and managers with people rising through the ranks on merit seems to have been thrown out with people being parachuted in without any prior experience of the set up etc. It just ends up adding to staff being unmotivated these days, hardly anybody stays the course as there isn't much in the way of job satisfaction anymore.

Looking forward to what you post from your travels with GBRF

Best wishes

Keith