Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

66789 or 66721 please.....

66720 was on shed yesterday in its rainbow colours

Typically the first loco I’ll be working on next week will be 60085 in Colas colours as I’m going to be instructing drivers on class 60s in the north east for a week

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Typically the first loco I’ll be working on next week will be 60085 in Colas colours as I’m going to be instructing drivers on class 60s in the north east for a week

Some good lads up there ,I know quite a few of them

In my firm it’s known (unofficially) as a HIPPO day. Hand In Pass + **** Off.

My 22 years in the RAF ended with a HIPPO day. A real kick in the pants walking out of the camp gates for the last time. Mind you I had got very, very drunk in Henley the week before.

Jim I'll add by best wishes for your new job with GBRF.

• RMweb Gold

60047 at Tyne Jim, 085 is at Tuebrook, I photographed it on Wednesday while on a short visit to my old stomping grounds.

Edit to add link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5294-the-fall-rise-of-the-60s-was-the-end-of-the-tugs/?p=3269907

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

sat in the hotel listening to class 66s yinging away over the road before i begin refreshing drivers on class 60s tomorrow morning, a whole week of it, static training first and then a trip to lynemouth in the afternoon for practical handling

funny how id never worked this in area at all then other week then i did that raildrop on the blyth and tyne at bebside and this week ive got 5 trips over the same line again!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with it Jim I hope it goes well. I also hope that you've got an interpreter with you for that area. When I did my basic training even the lads from Newcastle couldn't understand the lad from Ashington. The rest of us had no chance.

Jamie

Good luck with it Jim I hope it goes well. I also hope that you've got an interpreter with you for that area. When I did my basic training even the lads from Newcastle couldn't understand the lad from Ashington. The rest of us had no chance.

Jamie

I once had the pleasure of a cab ride on an NCB steam loco on the system at Backworth colliery. It is the only occasion in England when I have been totally unable to communicate with a fellow Englishman.............

• Like 2

Thanks to Big Jim for the heads up, I managed to catch ex Colas 60047 with GBRf 6N22 / 1351  Tyne Coal Terminal - Lynemouth PS at Newsham this afternoon.

Great to see and hear a class 60 on the Blyth & Tyne again!

post-7898-0-83781200-1534779705_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-01114300-1534779750_thumb.jpg

Earlier in the afternoon, another 'celeb' loco, GBRf  66727 'Maritime' was at Newsham with 4N80 Doncaster Down Decoy - North Blyth.

post-7898-0-14655600-1534779962_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to note the GBRf biomass hoppers in tow.

Was that a training/handling run or revenue train?

ISTR that 60s aren't allowed on the Drax biomass hoppers because their compressors aren't large enough to supply the air required to open the doors.

Can 60s provide enough air to operate the doors on the GB biomass hoppers or is it done differently on them compared to the Drax version?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

Was that you behind the houses before bebside?

Only 2 pics from me, cropped down to just show the loco

2025B13A-34D5-4F02-B368-E29BE7466331.jpg

And one from a safe point

7A5E58B4-2028-4071-9AD3-C10EDFAD7D83.jpg

It’s on an earleir train tomorrow, 09:15 off tyne iirc

I was at Newsham just past the Plessey Road crossing and standing next to a field (on your right hand side).  Thanks again.

The wagons are leased IIA-C Tanoos covered hoppers carrying imported biomass from Port of Tyne to Lynemouth Power Station which was converted to biomass early this year.

Edited by Alcanman

The Drax ones can't have a 60 because of the slow speed. On a 66 you can vary it in increments (0.1 or 0.2 mph from memory), whereas a 60 it's got 3 fixed settings, none suitable for the hopper house at Drax, something to do with the design of the hopper house and curvature of the track. An ex Knottingly driver was telling me about trains he worked 'back home' on while we were shunting Friday.

Jo