"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Thank you Freebs,

The balustrades, I'll let you into a little secret...... They took some finding but eventually I used some ship modellers turned wooden pieces, and luckily to the same scale and proportions. Much cheaper than buying or having pieces cast ( although I did contemplate doing my own masters just like the station roof columns).

Huddersfield Station would also be a brute but not impossible so long as you've the space to put it in, assuming it's 4mm scale. As for the rest it is all scratch built with the exception of the etched overall roof and Porte cochere which are from Alan Gibsons etchings.

The Corinthian style portico wouldn't be too hard if modelled in the same vein as Bath. If you've got a decent plan and photographs to work to its all possible, jus take your time. I suppose coming from an architectural background I'm lucky that I understand and enjoy buildings of all descriptions.

Go one give it a go !

Happy modelling ! :)

Grahame

If I ever get a spare 7 years. I might just do that... It's on the list for the grand master plan ;)

• Like 3

(Please excuse the photo quality!)

Having spent the afternoon at an old friends house I decided to take these photographs of Bath Green Park Station whilst I was there.

The model was built by me back in about 2000/2001 for his S&DR layout and also featured in MRJ issue 137 in 2002. It's always enjoyable to re-visit and know it is still very much appreciated :)

Ok, it was "of its time" and models/methods have changed considerably since that time but it was fun making it.

Hope you enjoy it too ?

Footnote: it was fun brandishing a 30m tape measure over the diners on the concourse with my daughter at the time ! :)

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

I remember the MRJ article also and echo the other comments about the build. Great piece of modelling!

Alan.

Hi Freebs.

A derelict brick layer perhaps?

Cheers.

Allan

In my position as a Building Control officer I met many of them! Glad I'm retired:)

Even worse when they put the roof on green side up !!!!

Cheers

Grahame

I've just found this thread and it's wonderful to see the genius that is Allan Downes producing masterful work still. Your articles in RM through the seventies and eighties were an inspiration. I'll stop gushing now.

Edited by s_ellinson

That is superb. How do you create the broken glass effect?

Hiya Mullie.

Right, this is about as unorthodox as it gets.

First I spray the backs of the windows with a spray adhesive that shoots out all over the place but to good advantage.

Then I cut strips of very thin clear plastic packing that contains all  Evergreen Plastics products then lay it over the back of the windows then turn the work back over and proceed to cut the odd window pane out here and there where you will end up with what you see on the model.

Messy but effective.

Cheers.

Allan

Allan,

Now that just sets the whole model off and gives the building real character excellent observation in my opinion.

Er....... You weren't listening to a certain '70's track by Nick Lowe or even Blondie when you made it by any chance were you?

Keep 'em coming please.

Cheers

Grahame

p.s. If wasn't retired from Building Control I'd have come around and served a Section 77 Notice on it as a Dangerous Building. If you want to appeal against this don't call me !!! :)

Edited by bgman

I have a photo here that maybe of some use when blending brick to stone. Old stores building Salamanca Docks Hobart c1830. I think Chubber had a post on this subject.

Tex.                         

post-25722-0-54194400-1428838387.jpg

Derelict roof looks brilliant

Thanks for that Freebs.

I wasn't sure whether it would work out at first or not and as for the collapsed tile lathes on the skylight roof I have since reduced them as they looked too  clumsy and out of scale.

Usually, I can tile a roof out that size in about 40 minutes but this took about three times as long and not being certain of the outcome I was really getting pxxxxd off with it !

Cheers Mate.

Allan.

I have a photo here that maybe of some use when blending brick to stone. Old stores building Salamanca Docks Hobart c1830. I think Chubber had a post on this subject.

Tex.                         

attachicon.gifRepairing or adding to a structure.jpg

Looks like a Barrats house to me Tex !

Cheers.

Allan