Freemo Extravaganza

• RMweb Gold

Provisionally 26-27 Sept.

Ok that's a 50/50 one but if I get in early should get it :)

I can only agree its worth jumping in, the standard is simple and it's great fun.

Here's a quick vid showing the crews at work to give an idea of what goes on.

4-5 crews working trains, the Dispatchers, bring and buy table and modelling table being examined and some just chatting or eating ;)

Got back in time for my domestic engagement with a minor delay on M25.

Brilliant weekend and would def be up to do it again. If Sept is being proposed then if poss could we avoid the weekend of 19th / 20th as it will be Seaboard Southern show and also my wedding anniversary (in no particular order of importance....)

Thanks to those who supported the RPM. Not sure if Andy Y had a look during his visit on Sat but hopefullly it showcased US outline modelling in the UK in a good light along with modules

As mentioned a big thanks to Nick, Martyn, Mel and Neil on the trains side and most importantly to Liz and Yvonne for keeping us fed and watered

Dan

THANK YOU!

(That's a big thank you, in case you didn't get the visual gag...) ;)

In no special order, thanks to Nick, for sorting the hall, insurance, catering, finances, badges, so, so much. Thanks to Liz and Yvonne for their absolutely superb work in the kitchen. Thanks to Peter for sorting out the dispatching side (i'd never tried linking the panel to car forwarding before, so that moving the trains on the panel updates the car locations, clever stuff!) - Thanks to Mel and Neil for their great work as build-chiefs, thanks to the module providers for coming up with the building blocks for such a cool layout, and especially to our 5 freemo "Newbies" there with either brand new or freshly converted modules, excellent! 

Lastly, thanks to everyone - it's a bit of a cliche to say "couldn't have done it without you" - but with something "communal" like this it's really, really true...

And (knew i'd miss somebody!) - DAN - Thanks for organising the RPM table, which seemed creditably well endowed with some great modelling - really glad that folk got into the spirit of it! 

Just to echo what has and still is beeing said..a massive vote of thanks to all involved in organising this weekend and everyone who came and got involved to make for a fantastic weekend. It was a brilliant introduction to the FreeMo concept for me in particular.

As we discussed after lunch yesterday keeping all informed of future events is a must, I'd be happy to make the trip south for another similar event of even a running session at a group meet.

Now to build a module so I have something to add to the set ups!

Colin

I would like to thank everyone for a great weekend of playing trains. I'm looking forward to the next one!

I would also like to thankyou all for the inspiration you have given to Sammy he's so fired up and has so many plans for finishing Sammy's Lumber.

THANK YOU!

(That's a big thank you, in case you didn't get the visual gag...) ;)

In no special order, thanks to Nick, for sorting the hall, insurance, catering, finances, badges, so, so much. Thanks to Liz and Yvonne for their absolutely superb work in the kitchen. Thanks to Peter for sorting out the dispatching side (i'd never tried linking the panel to car forwarding before, so that moving the trains on the panel updates the car locations, clever stuff!) - Thanks to Mel and Neil for their great work as build-chiefs, thanks to the module providers for coming up with the building blocks for such a cool layout, and especially to our 5 freemo "Newbies" there with either brand new or freshly converted modules, excellent! 

Lastly, thanks to everyone - it's a bit of a cliche to say "couldn't have done it without you" - but with something "communal" like this it's really, really true...

And (knew i'd miss somebody!) - DAN - Thanks for organising the RPM table, which seemed creditably well endowed with some great modelling - really glad that folk got into the spirit of it! 

All I can add is that what a brilliant weekend it was from start to finish. Great inspiration all around us in that hall.  Fabulous work by all module contributors.  I can only now echo Martin's thanks - and to him too.

On the way home Silverstone was not the problem on the M40 - it was the two lane bottle neck at High Wycombe/A404 exit - all the way back to Oxford!!!  Then a bottle neck on the M25 caused by "Obstruction in Roadway".  I smiled when I came past it - one for you Ian and Mike - a broken down caravan being put onto a low-loader.  Now where did they get that idea???

Now next year.....

• RMweb Gold

All I can add is that what a brilliant weekend it was from start to finish. Great inspiration all around us in that hall.  Fabulous work by all module contributors.  I can only now echo Martin's thanks - and to him too.

On the way home Silverstone was not the problem on the M40 - it was the two lane bottle neck at High Wycombe/A404 exit - all the way back to Oxford!!!  Then a bottle neck on the M25 caused by "Obstruction in Roadway".  I smiled when I came past it - one for you Ian and Mike - a broken down caravan being put onto a low-loader.  Now where did they get that idea???

Now next year.....

It was handy that the race was delayed an hour otherwise the M40 would probably have been much worse.

yes we got stuck at High Wycombe and again at Chertsey (ususal spot) then the caravan although the low loader wasnt there when we went past!

Ian

Thanks for all the pics and vids. Look a lot of fun.

I have been lurking in the background on this thread and having recently uncovered 3 Kato HO locos the idea of a module sounds enticing, even no wagons :) You never know.. in a year.. I might be able to complete something.

• RMweb Gold

I am considering modifying the juice factory for Fort Myers to being it ot the same width. However it cant be turned inot a through module meaning that Fort Myers would have to be on the end again.

I might be able to make two more boards to go in the middle and thus lengthen the yard by 6 feet.

WIll have to see if i have the time next spring before deciding as have another layout to build!!

If anyone is short of freight cars then between the rest of us I am sure we could fill the Freemo set up a number of times over!!!

Ian

I am considering modifying the juice factory for Fort Myers to being it ot the same width. However it cant be turned inot a through module meaning that Fort Myers would have to be on the end again.

I might be able to make two more boards to go in the middle and thus lengthen the yard by 6 feet.

WIll have to see if i have the time next spring before deciding as have another layout to build!!

If anyone is short of freight cars then between the rest of us I am sure we could fill the Freemo set up a number of times over!!!

Ian

Given that we are looking have a bigger set up and longer runs then I think the length of the loops on Fort Myres could be useful as a passing point rather than on an end.

In terms if asks for next year I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting at least one more 90' curve and a couple of plain single modules with no industries to act a spacers

Dan

Dan

I know that plain modules (straight or curved) aren't very exciting for the individual builder but they are vital for the greater scheme.

A suggestion by Colin was to make very narrow (6 or 9ins?) straight "filler" pieces with basic scenery (ground cover at least) that can have adaptor boards at the end. These would be cheap, easy to construct, easy to store and of great value to the greater scheme.

What do the more experienced Freemo users think - would it work?

Looks like you had a fantastic weekend,thanks for the photo/videos,nearly called in on Sunday on my way back,but as i'm trying to amass as many brownie point, thought i'd better not!

Hoping to be there next year,if i can get the weekend  free (wedding anniversary,she may fancy a weekend in Stafford!!!!!)

How did those new to freemo,find working with opp's etc,it looked to be fun,looking at Nicks video all of the module blended well and there's still loads of room left.

Will have to start my build for next year,only 14 mouths to go!!!!!!

Ray

Archived