Pre Grouping general discussion

• RMweb Premium

Hands up whoever has 'sealskins' represented on their model railway :)

Mike

No but I will have opens containing a representation of horse droppings, and barrels which would have contained the similar substance from dogs.

In my efforts for historical accuracy smelly vision will Not occur for these substances ( not for the gents Loos either)

Hands up whoever has 'sealskins' represented on their model railway :)

Mike

No but I will have opens containing a representation of horse droppings, and barrels which would have contained the similar substance from dogs.

In my efforts for historical accuracy smelly vision will Not occur for these substances ( not for the gents Loos either)

That's a relief :)

• RMweb Gold

Rather a lot saying "Southern", "LMS" and "LNER" on the tender. I thought this was a modern image free zone :O.

You're just being grumpy because there is no broad gauge  :jester:

This photo is interesting for the LNWR and GWR joint appearance (and those wonderful LNWR 6-wheelers): https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/16020748955/in/album-72157643782545415/

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

During my research for my own 'Pre-Grouping' interests, I came across this selection of Bowler and Top Hats on Shapeways website!

http://www.shapeways.com/product/596TDEZEY/bowler-and-top-hats-large-assortment-ho-scale-1-87?li=search-results-1&optionId=41278322

They are in H0 scale which suits me fine but it looks like the owner of this design did respond to a request to scale up to US 0 scale (1/48th) so maybe you 4mm ers stand a chance?

Or, if you're already using the likes of Preiser H0 models anyway, they would make an easy modification to back date more generic figures.

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks,

During my research for my own 'Pre-Grouping' interests, I came across this selection of Bowler and Top Hats on Shapeways website!

http://www.shapeways.com/product/596TDEZEY/bowler-and-top-hats-large-assortment-ho-scale-1-87?li=search-results-1&optionId=41278322

They are in H0 scale which suits me fine but it looks like the owner of this design did respond to a request to scale up to US 0 scale (1/48th) so maybe you 4mm ers stand a chance?

Or, if you're already using the likes of Preiser H0 models anyway, they would make an easy modification to back date more generic figures.

Cheers,

John E.

They are amazing.  One of my big problems is hats for models that do not have them, or the wrong type of hat.  These would answer that problem, except of course for ladies but straw boaters and a round hat with a brim would do it.  Umm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I know from a photograph 1917 royal visit to the station I'm modeling, that the equerry, took off his top hat and placed on the ground. Not where I would of put it but by the corner of a door entrance.

I just hope the station staff had washed the ground before hand,  You know what station dogs are like...

• Like 1

No but I will have opens containing a representation of horse droppings, and barrels which would have contained the similar substance from dog

Dog crap. I had a grandfather, who was a cooper and for a while worked in a tannery making barrels which were used for dog crap - apparently an essential thing for making leather or at least it was 100 years ago. Another interesting substance of a similar nature which was in use at that time was "lant"  - i.e. urine, which was used for softening woolen blankets. And they talk about the good old days.

• RMweb Gold

Dog crap. I had a grandfather, who was a cooper and for a while worked in a tannery making barrels which were used for dog crap - apparently an essential thing for making leather or at least it was 100 years ago. Another interesting substance of a similar nature which was in use at that time was "lant"  - i.e. urine, which was used for softening woolen blankets. And they talk about the good old days.

I believe the other name for it was 'pure'.  Some of the poorest and oldest people in London would collect it and sell it to tanneries.

• Agree 1

I believe the other name for it was 'pure'.  Some of the poorest and oldest people in London would collect it and sell it to tanneries.

As described in some detail in Mayhew's 'London Labour and London Poor'.

• Like 2

I didn't know about dog doings but horse (& other) urine was very much in evidence when my parents and I visited Fes in Morocco some 35-40 years ago.

I think it's Fes that's quite well known for leather goods, anyway the whole town/city STANK to high heaven, it was truly awful! I remember it running down little channels in the dirt streets, ugh! It's still enough to give me palpitations.

Maybe I can claim to have smelt the middle ages!?!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about dog doings but horse (& other) urine was very much in evidence when my parents and I visited Fes in Morocco some 35-40 years ago.

I think it's Fes that's quite well known for leather goods, anyway the whole town/city STANK to high heaven, it was truly awful! I remember it running down little channels in the dirt streets, ugh! It's still enough to give me palpitations.

Maybe I can claim to have smelt the middle ages!?!

Cheers,

John.

My condolences

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A friend in SSMRS told me a sad story about a friend of his, who he had brought along for a day operating East Lynn at an exhibition. Said gentleman was 70, and had accomplished quite a lot in EM over the previous quarter century, including some scratchbuilding. This time period is important, as one of the things which had pushed him down his chosen pre-grouping route of modelling (as it happens) the S&DJR was the availability of MR etched loos from Alan Gibson in 4mm scale. These had also been made available in S, but this was (at the time) only publicised via the SGMRS (as it was) Newsletter. He had heard of S, and almost certainly had seen it at shows, but had not spent any great amount of time studying it. He had the skills to take it on, but it was outside of his experience. He could have made the switch in his late 40s, but didn't. At 70, he was almost in tears on the way home because he had missed out on doing what he had done in EM, in S. It would have been no harder in S, given the kits which had appeared at times, due to his choice of prototype, but even had it required scratchbuilding, he would have made the change, had only his experience of the hobby been that much wider.

This is not a story I tell in support of S as it could just as easily relate to someone developing an interest in the GSWR instead of the LMS in Scotland, but it is one that says, come your late 40s, you will have enough of your life ahead of you to make a serious start on a serious layout.

Actually, I find that story quite sad! It must have been a shock to the system, that he'd WASTED 30 years modelling in EM. Perhaps he would have been better off, being in ignorance of S Scale?

Sorry for picking up something nearly 2 years old!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't really have anywhere else to put this without a workbench thread, so I'm quite chuffed to show off my completed MR van:

TWQDwEL.jpg?1

and so I think you should be.  That looks like some very good modelling - what scale are you using?