Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

I was not able to go to STEAM at the weekend but understand that, on the Hornby stand, there was an early sample of the new 'Hall' - did anyone manage to get a photo of it?  I am interested in this one as I could do with another 'Hall'! 

Lets just hope it is up to scratch though as I am underwhelmed by the recent 42xx/72xx tanks and the sample of the 'Star' that has been at STEAM for months.  It rather seems as though Hornby reached a high point with the lovely LNER locos - L1 tank and B17 especially - and we are now seeing them going backwards.  Such a shame when they have produced superb models and their competitors continue to do so - the new Bachmann 4F is quite stunning.

I was not able to go to STEAM at the weekend but understand that, on the Hornby stand, there was an early sample of the new 'Hall' - did anyone manage to get a photo of it?  I am interested in this one as I could do with another 'Hall'! 

Lets just hope it is up to scratch though as I am underwhelmed by the recent 42xx/72xx tanks and the sample of the 'Star' that has been at STEAM for months.  It rather seems as though Hornby reached a high point with the lovely LNER locos - L1 tank and B17 especially - and we are now seeing them going backwards.  Such a shame when they have produced superb models and their competitors continue to do so - the new Bachmann 4F is quite stunning.

If that is true then I hope someone has indeed taken a few images....

If you have a look at the P2 then it is still fairly good compared to the B17. I would disagree with the ''backwards'' remark. They still get a lot of detail in even with the moulded plastic. People tend to remember the older less detailed models and forget that in modern times a lot id possible. The P2 IMHO is outstanding but instead of details in metal (buffers) there is a lot more plastic. Other models that do fit today's standards are the 2BIL, Sentinel, P2 etc.... they are not bad. Maybe you feel that the price doesn't match up to what you'd expect?

A shame that the Star wasn't well planned and that is the most expensive of the 3 (P2, DoG and Star) with the least detail (IMO moulded handrails isn't such a biggie..... It looks the part!! If I may say I am shocked that no one was worried about the moulded handrails on the Farish 4757?? That is fairly new and if everyone goes on about the detail on Bachmann models so why haven't Farish done that with the 47/57? All their other models have it.

• RMweb Gold

It is true - there were two 'Hall' bodies, with tender bodies, at Steam at the weekend and they were in a Hornby showcase and they weren't particularly easy to photograph and in any case their clearly early state of developments suggested to me they would be a waste of pixels.  Overall shape wasn't too bad from what I saw but I didn't feel entirely comfortable about the front end of the smokebox/footplate relationship although that might have been due to the angle from which I saw them and the chimney looked a bit on the thin side.

It is true - there were two 'Hall' bodies, with tender bodies, at Steam at the weekend and they were in a Hornby showcase and they weren't particularly easy to photograph and in any case their clearly early state of developments suggested to me they would be a waste of pixels.  Overall shape wasn't too bad from what I saw but I didn't feel entirely comfortable about the front end of the smokebox/footplate relationship although that might have been due to the angle from which I saw them and the chimney looked a bit on the thin side.

Thanks for sharing your views. Hope someone did get a few images. If it could have been taken from to or more angels maybe then the shape of the smokebox/footplate could be determined and sorted out.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting the pix.  Actually the shape of the 'Hall' looks pretty good to me.  As Hornby already have the chassis - 'Grange' with larger wheels - and the 4000 gallon tender this is quite a quick loco for them to produce.  It's just such a shame that they have reduced the spec and it will not be as good a model as some of the earlier products.  Should be able to do something with it though!

They had moulded plastic handrails on the cab an moulded smokebox door dart! It seems all new Hornby models have taken a step backwards

Regards Neil

Hornby seem to have something against GWR locos with all the moulded items.

If this is the way they are going I hope they don't produce anymore GWR locos with their new useless 'Design clever' crap.

leave it to Bachmann please who don't skimp on these details and don't need pathetic corporate buzzwords.

I'm going to wait until I see one in a red box on the shelf of my local before I decide whether to get one. In the event, I will base my decision on how it compares to the one in the blue box in terms of detailing and price. Bachmann's version is good enough anyway, and I think it was reasoned that Hornby's raison d'etre for retooling their Hall was to capitalise on their old Castle tooling becoming life expired whilst in use for the Harry Potter loco; Olton Hall still being a popular loco with the public. Unless it beats Bachmann's for price I think I may well give it a miss, which for the sake of a moulded dart and cab handrails, should be a source of regret on Hornby's part, as I doubt I will be their only lost sale.  

Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of in the event that I want one, as it's hardly going to be as sought-after as the Star and heavy tanks - Bachmann's Hall has been readily available for years. All that being said, Bachmann's lack of variance with GWR livery is really beginning to grate; 1934 - 1948 seemingly weren't featured in Mr Bachmann's history books...

• RMweb Gold

All that being said, Bachmann's lack of variance with GWR livery is really beginning to grate; 1934 - 1948 seemingly weren't featured in Mr Bachmann's history books...

You can say that again.Their Hall has been out for a number of years but always the same Great Western livery.Like you say no variance.

You can say that again.Their Hall has been out for a number of years but always the same Great Western livery.Like you say no variance.

Can you imagine if either Hornby or Bachmann brought out a GWR loco in wartime black? You get the odd LNER and Southern loco in wartime black but never a Swindon beast. I think I would have kittens! 

• RMweb Premium

I'd have several, some of different classes. However I have paint in several 'shades' of black. Or there are BR examples; Bachmann printing doesn't survive white spirit. Of interest, do the smokebox number plates come off or do you have to file them off; I haven't yet gone down this route but am considering it.

Pete

I will base my decision on how it compares to the one in the blue box in terms of detailing and price.

I will also need to compare haulage capacity. From exerience, the haulage power of Hornby steam locos is much better the Bachmann's. My son's Railroad Tornado will pull much more, will pull away without slipping, much better than my expensive and more detailed Bachmann. I need two more Halls and they will need to pull eight coach kit built coaches. My Bachmann Hall just sat there and slipped - sold on as of no use to me. In comparison the Hornby Castle just effortlessly glides away with the same train.

Not just looks and price for me.

Mike Wiltshire

Hornby's new publicity strategy is based on not providing any news or pictures.

Maybe the relevant copy is also being delayed in China?  :jester:

....leave it to Bachmann please who don't skimp on these details and don't need pathetic corporate buzzwords.

They do seem better at getting their ducks in a row.

Mike if you have got kit built coaches you surely need kit built engine to pull them when you factor in the weight of those to be pulled, there not much wrong with the Bachmann engine both my two pull ten coaches with ease.

Not really. As stated the Hornby Castle will pull my trains of BSL/Geen/Mallards with no issue. Bachmann Tornado, Hall, mogul, class V all struggle with nine Bachmann mark I's.Recently I have built two DJH WD 2-8-0's for a friend as he has got rid of his Bachmann versions as they were not good haulers, so I am not alone with this concern. The class V mentioned above, he gave to my son as it has such poor adhesion. I had similar issues with my two Bachmann 45xx which slipped on four kit built clerestories (which are not that heavy). I cured it by removing what Bachmann use for weight and replaced it with lead. Difficult to appreciate they are the same engines.  Both now haul nine coaches without any slipping. The only Bachmann GWR that has decent adhesion, on my line, is the 56xx. As a result I have several. (well Westbury did have two and the Bristol ones did visit!) I do not have Bachmann panniers so I cannot really comment, as they only produce a 1945+ version, though visiting panniers appear to have good adhesion.

My Hornby Pullman eight car Pullman train can be hauled by a Hornby A1, Battle of Britain & Patriot without any issues. Put the Bachmann Tornado up front and watch it slip. Same friend visited with both Hornby and Bachmann B1's. No contest as the Hornby version clearly had better adhesion.

Personally, I have no preference to either company but whilst many get concerned at detail levels, I am more concerned if a model from any manufacturer will work well. If necessary I can always add any extra detail afterwards. Despite the high detail level my Hornby Star's on order will still receive extra fittings as required.

When I was in my teens, David Jenkinson was giving a demo and gave me some very useful advice. 'Make sure everything works properly before worrying about how it looks'. I can think of several recent releases that would have benefitted from that philosophy.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

It will be a straight ( ish) decision between Bachmann and Hornby. Hopefully there will be a comparison test between the two version to ascertain a)which is the better runner, and b) which is best built, then make ones choice bass on which suits your pocket/needs most.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby seem to have something against GWR locos with all the moulded items.

If this is the way they are going I hope they don't produce anymore GWR locos with their new useless 'Design clever' crap.

leave it to Bachmann please who don't skimp on these details and don't need pathetic corporate buzzwords.

As far as I am concerned, they are welcome to cancel ALL the GWR stuff and produce some Southern! Cash waiting!

Replacing the offending plastic details in metal is easy enough but I'd prefer them to come in a bag to avoid the need to take them off first.

However, anyone who can't do the job himself will find that paying to have it done will cost more than the saving brought about by Design Clever, which is the logical outcome of all the whingeing about prices.

Be careful what you wish for............

John

Archived