Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

One reason it was recommissioned this way, rather than with two parrallel platforms as it originally had, is that disabled access to the decommissioned platform would have been difficult and expensive to achieve.  As the platform that remained in use was already accessible, it made good sense to use the one platform for trains in both directions.

Or to be more precise, the cost of a DDA compliment footbridge sent the BCR into very negative territory so it was a case of the current setup or no loop at all!

Edited by phil-b259

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just delving into Mr. Bartlett's fine collection of pictures for a detail or two and I found a Pipe wagon with an NEM socket.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/h22ade58f#h11fd3b0c

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/h22ade58f#hf201156

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And not even a hi vis vest on. Does hi vis work in black and white?

Nik

By the time he'd finished unloading all that coal,

the hi vis would probably have been black anyway.

Although rated to carry ten tons of coal, with careful trimming you could get twelve in a Lizzie's tender without fouling the loading gauge, and thirteen if you knew there were no low bridges along the way. But the coal available at Perth was rated as pretty poor stuff, and men generally took as little there as they could get away with. On the night postals from Crewe, practice was to fill the firebox level with the brick arch, then go back under 5A's coaler and top up the tender to the limit and beyond, so there wasn't as much need to take on Perth's rubbish as there might otherwise have been.

None of that explains the photo, though. Where oh where is the H&S executive when you need them?!

• RMweb Gold

Looks quite odd without the 'straight through' option, though undoubtedly better for keeping up & down separate!

I don't know whether it's still the same, but the line in from Limerick doesn't/didn't go into the platform, it ran past the station and reversed back in, most disconcerting when I was stood waiting for my train.

post-5471-0-62020700-1472027905_thumb.jpg

Mike.

• Like 7

Try doing that at an exhibition.

28584004286_e2449e23a8_k.jpgA temporary measure by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

My goodness, I have never seen anything like that before.

(And as a postscript to the sorry tale of tickets for my forthcoming journey from Folkestone this October. I bought the cheapest possible tickets from Folkestone West or Central to 'London Terminals'. However they are clearly marked on the front "Not valid on Southeastern high speed", which I presume is the service to St Pancras?)

(And as a postscript to the sorry tale of tickets for my forthcoming journey from Folkestone this October. I bought the cheapest possible tickets from Folkestone West or Central to 'London Terminals'. However they are clearly marked on the front "Not valid on Southeastern high speed", which I presume is the service to St Pancras?)

Correct, that will only be valid on the classic routes from Charing Cross/ Victoria etc.

Edited by Zomboid

And yet... and this is the bit I don't understand; I bought cheapest tickets for the opposite direction and not only do they include the St Pancras to Folkestone service, they actually specify it, but say "no specific seat".

And yet... and this is the bit I don't understand; I bought cheapest tickets for the opposite direction and not only do they include the St Pancras to Folkestone service, they actually specify it, but say "no specific seat".

There's no seat numbering on the Javelins, so it would be difficult to make a reservation for a specific train; there is, however, a sizeable surcharge on tickets via HS1, so it's always best checking your routing allows you to use it.

• RMweb Gold

Although rated to carry ten tons of coal, with careful trimming you could get twelve in a Lizzie's tender without fouling the loading gauge, and thirteen if you knew there were no low bridges along the way. But the coal available at Perth was rated as pretty poor stuff, and men generally took as little there as they could get away with. On the night postals from Crewe, practice was to fill the firebox level with the brick arch, then go back under 5A's coaler and top up the tender to the limit and beyond, so there wasn't as much need to take on Perth's rubbish as there might otherwise have been.

None of that explains the photo, though. Where oh where is the H&S executive when you need them?!

Drivers on Compounds with their Fowler tenders were keen on piling it high as seen at Nottingham in May 1954

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-1/i-C9W2LD5/A

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Interestingly I just found a cheaper fare (using 12 October as an example) from Folkestone Central to Nalisea via St Pancras than from Folkestone to St Pancras  - £25.50 via St Pancras through to Nailsea arriving before 17.00  (£30 something Folkestone to St Pancras!)

My tickets are with a Senior Railcard, so prices will be 30% cheaper than the standard fare. I have paid £14.85 for a single from Folkestone to Charing Cross, but on the outward journey a few days earlier I have a through single ticket from Nailsea to Folkestone which includes travel on the 1437 St Pancras to Folkestone Central (which is printed on the ticket) for a rather spooky £14.85.

So I get the entire eastward journey of about 200 miles for £14.85 and yet the return leg for the same price only gets me to London and I can't go to St Pancras.

Drivers on Compounds with their Fowler tenders were keen on piling it high as seen at Nottingham in May 1954

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-1/i-C9W2LD5/A

Also happened a lot down the road at Colwick. Many pictures show locos with coal piled above cab roof height, even 2-8-0s on relatively short distance workings seemed to be the same.

Although rated to carry ten tons of coal, with careful trimming you could get twelve in a Lizzie's tender without fouling the loading gauge, and thirteen if you knew there were no low bridges along the way.

David L Smith wrote of an over-coaled Jubilee backing down from Corkerhill to St. Enochs where an overbridge swept a large lump off the tender on to the footplate and killed the fireman.

I've just been reading one of O S Nocks volumes where he writes that Royal Scots in their original form could only just make it from Euston to Carlisle with a full load of coal so were generally overloaded especially in winter.  Larger tenders were provided when they were rebuilt which solved the problem.

• 2 weeks later...