Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any info on this train from the late 1990s?

attachicon.gifScan-161021-0001.jpg

Definitely Bletchley, you can see the side of the flyover on the far right of 31468. Was due to poor DMU availabiltiy at the time as the service relied on the cast-offs from almost everywhere.

Central Trains had a similar trial with a six coach train between Nottingham and Skegness for summer extras, came to nothing at the time, but later was covered by spare HSTs.

Dave

Thanks for that link BR(S). I did not keep up with the railways much after privatisation, and so had no idea these DMU substitutes had appeared.

From the photos on the Sixbells site, it would appear that passengers had a distinct upgrade from the Mk1s shown in the website photos with the Mk2 aircon coaches being substituted at some point.

On the 12th May 1999 31452 and 31468 were working the Bletchley/Bedford service, with coaches 5630 and 17164. The other diagram on the route was a pair of Class 121 single cars, one of which was locked out of use.

I wonder if they de-meshed the gears on the 08? It would be a long slow journey if they didn't...

Actually I wonder what the maximum permitted speed of an 08 with de-meshed gears actually is - be surprised if it was much above 40mph!

I think the maximum speed of a de-meshed class 08 was (is?) 35mph.

I have a WR Sectional Appendix that refers to the Western Region Civil Engineers locos PWM 650-654

which were restricted to 35mph when de-meshed, and subject to examination at not greater than 50 mile intervals,

cheers

I think the maximum speed of a de-meshed class 08 was (is?) 35mph.

I have a WR Sectional Appendix that refers to the Western Region Civil Engineers locos PWM 650-654

which were restricted to 35mph when de-meshed, and subject to examination at not greater than 50 mile intervals,

cheers

I recall reading (browsing) in Smiffs reading rooms an article in a recent periodical about the PWM shunters and that movement in trains between major PW worksites was a regular occurrence, citing this as an advantage over the standard 350hp (class 08) shunter.

Until that point I'd assumed the PWMs were diesel mechanical like others of their appearance, but seemingly not; the article implied iirc that it de-meshing gears an easy thing to do on those - don't know about the standard 08 though.

Now if only I could remember which magazine it was...... :senile:

I recall reading (browsing) in Smiffs reading rooms an article in a recent periodical about the PWM shunters and that movement in trains between major PW worksites was a regular occurrence, citing this as an advantage over the standard 350hp (class 08) shunter.

Until that point I'd assumed the PWMs were diesel mechanical like others of their appearance, but seemingly not; the article implied iirc that it de-meshing gears an easy thing to do on those - don't know about the standard 08 though.

Now if only I could remember which magazine it was...... :senile:

Wikipedia (I know) suggests the demeshing faciliity on the PWMs is a design feature:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_97/6

• 3 weeks later...

This is an example of Rule 1 actually applying to the 12 inches = 1 foot scale layout.

attachicon.gif20096 20065 08xxx chesterfield 6_89.jpg

This is 20096 and 20065 near Chesterfield in June 1989.

I believe that the 08 is in the train and not on an adjacent track ( joke ), but the parcels vans appear to be followed by about a dozen MGR wagons.  Not the kind of train makeup that you see very often.

Pure speculation but I wonder if this is a case of one train rescuing another?

e.g. the pair of 20s on an empty MGR rescuing the 08, which has failed while hauling a bunch of parcels vans (seems more plausible than the 08 hauling a bunch of MGRs and 2x20 hauling parcels, but could be this way around).

Pure speculation but I wonder if this is a case of one train rescuing another?

e.g. the pair of 20s on an empty MGR rescuing the 08, which has failed while hauling a bunch of parcels vans (seems more plausible than the 08 hauling a bunch of MGRs and 2x20 hauling parcels, but could be this way around).

As the 08 is in spotless ex-works condition it would lend weight to the idea it is being transferred after overhaul. I suspect that the other vehicles are going to/from works too - does one of the GUV's have a door missing? And can anyone see what the vehicle between the vans and hoppers is?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I witnessed at Manchester Victoria the other day one of the stone trains formed of HTA coal hoppers with a tail lamp on both ends of the rake, only the rear one lit of course.

And if the signalman had seen it it should have been stopped, against the rules