Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like RHTT?

It runs top and tailed and presumably with the same locos for a certain period, so the gunk will build up especially when the loco is trailing. Note how only the outer cab end has necessarily been kept clean, probably not worth doing any more until the loco is taken off the diagram

• RMweb Premium

Looks like RHTT?

It runs top and tailed and presumably with the same locos for a certain period, so the gunk will build up especially when the loco is trailing. Note how only the outer cab end has necessarily been kept clean, probably not worth doing any more until the loco is taken off the diagram

Yes you can see from the tanker it's coupled to that this is one end of a rail head treatment train.

I've seen engines on these trains looking pretty filthy, but not as bad as that. Good luck to anyone who wanted to know the number.

• RMweb Gold

Yes you can see from the tanker it's coupled to that this is one end of a rail head treatment train.

I've seen engines on these trains looking pretty filthy, but not as bad as that. Good luck to anyone who wanted to know the number.

Perhaps this is the rear of the train with all the muck blasted off the track coating the loco & tanker. The driving end has presumably been hosed down so the driver can see out when driving from that end.

The number is just as readable as normal - at least on the far cab, so it should not be a problem

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps this is the rear of the train with all the muck blasted off the track coating the loco & tanker. The driving end has presumably been hosed down so the driver can see out when driving from that end.

Railhead treatment trains normally spend as much time going in one direction as the do in the other

• RMweb Premium

Railhead treatment trains normally spend as much time going in one direction as the do in the other

They do, but most are top and tailed - so the end of the both locos adjacent to the wagons stay filthy.

• RMweb Gold

The loco which is closest to the jetter gets the dirtiest when on the rear, but there isn't much between them in filthiness.

Ours at stowmarket aren't too bad this year but we have had a lot of loco swaps

• RMweb Premium

If you look at a typical RHTT set, the grime spreads outwards from the jetting head. Tank ends "away" from the jetter stay cleaner for longer, than those facing towards the jetting heads. The  tank tops are quite visible in this pic

Taken a few days ago, probably in the last week of operation for this year. This working typically reverses 8-9 times for each daily diagram, so both directions are liberally coated with muck..

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1

Give me 5 minutes and a spray can it'd be easy to reproduce with my skills at weathering.

Always been interesting watching the de-weathering process happening at the Network Rail Holgate Facility in York. All the tanks come in totally brown and over the next few months get returned to near out of the box condition.

• Like 1

Always been interesting watching the de-weathering process happening at the Network Rail Holgate Facility in York. All the tanks come in totally brown and over the next few months get returned to near out of the box condition.

I've got some nice before and after here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rhttfeaf

Unfortunately the public land these were photted from has now been completely fenced so far more difficult to get photos now.

Paul

• Like 1

One for the continentals, alas I wasn't quick enough to get a photo but I saw an amazing sight in cologne the other week. There was an old class 181 leccy pulling a class 101, followed by 2 IC coaches, another 101, 4 more of coaches and a 120 bringing up the rear. It was obviously a stock movement between yards but 4 locos scattered through 6 coaches was an amazing sight!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tube stock gong for refurbishment or whatever always makes for an interesting train. Not too many years ago I got of my early morning commuter train at Solihull only to see a tube train stopped at the other platform. Felt weird and I wondered if I was still dreaming.

I didn't take a photo but this is what they look like

http://daviddepperphotography.zenfolio.com/p761960861/e2551a32b

• Like 1

Tube stock gong for refurbishment or whatever always makes for an interesting train. Not too many years ago I got of my early morning commuter train at Solihull only to see a tube train stopped at the other platform. Felt weird and I wondered if I was still dreaming.

I didn't take a photo but this is what they look like

http://daviddepperphotography.zenfolio.com/p761960861/e2551a32b

So how many passengers got on the tube train?

I have great difficulty with this photo:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/3507496646/in/faves-23256063@N02/

Not just because of the condition this loco has been allowed to run in, but because it is standing underneath the girder bridge at Paddington and yet seems to be in very good light. Could it be a very clever photoshop job with a Western from the Swindon scrap line being added to a poorly exposed photo of one at Paddington?

Or am I just too cynical and un-trusting?

I have great difficulty with this photo:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/3507496646/in/faves-23256063@N02/

Not just because of the condition this loco has been allowed to run in, but because it is standing underneath the girder bridge at Paddington and yet seems to be in very good light. Could it be a very clever photoshop job with a Western from the Swindon scrap line being added to a poorly exposed photo of one at Paddington?

Or am I just too cynical and un-trusting?

Interesting point. D1020 was painted blue in November 1967 so that's a big degradation in four years. I know the cleaning plants were very harsh on the paintwork, especially Laira so maybe it is possible. On the other hand withdrawals were a couple of years away and that does seem to be extremely bad condition for what was still a passenger loco.