Lidl display cabinets now on sale

They are certainly not that suitable for wall hanging in any house built with plasterboard walls. I solved the problem by mounting it on top of a low, pretty solid, cabinet so that whilst fixed to the wall that is solely to prevent toppling and the weight is taken by the cabinet it sits on.

I have had mine on plasterboard walls for five years using normal plasterboard fixings with no problems, I did however drill extra holes in them and doubled up on the number of fixings.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What are these like at keeping dust off guys? It looks like the door panels don't seal together, but are these good at keeping dust off models over prolonged periods.

As above, I have lots of stock in boxes that's been there for years awaiting a layout, I'd quite like a couple of these on the xmas list if thery're good.

• Like 1

What are these like at keeping dust off guys? It looks like the door panels don't seal together, but are these good at keeping dust off models over prolonged periods.

As above, I have lots of stock in boxes that's been there for years awaiting a layout, I'd quite like a couple of these on the xmas list if thery're good.

Had one up for a year now with no dust problems.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone around Glasgow wants one for nothing pm me . As long as you can take it away it’s yours( very heavy - it’s the big one!) It’s still in its wrapping . I decided it was too heavy to be wall mounted . I got it about 3 years ago so it may not be the same as the latest ones

I've had that problem, solved by re-hanging a few pictures. Had to be careful as well not to place them in direct sunlight.

you will be fine wall mounting as long as you hit a stud behind the plasterboard.  you can usually work out where these are by looking for tell tale marks for plasterboard joins or screw/nail heads (or if you have really good plaster or wallpaper then you can try a joist detector).  once you know where 1 is then they are normally at 600mm centres so you should be able to position on 1 stud at each end.

I should add that you don't use wall plugs for this method - don't drill holes in wall even - just screw straight through plasterboard and into stud.  If the screw won't tighten and keeps turning then you've missed the stud...

Edited by Matt

• RMweb Gold

you will be fine wall mounting as long as you hit a stud behind the plasterboard.  you can usually work out where these are by looking for tell tale marks for plasterboard joins or screw/nail heads (or if you have really good plaster or wallpaper then you can try a joist detector).  once you know where 1 is then they are normally at 600mm centres so you should be able to position on 1 stud at each end.

I should add that you don't use wall plugs for this method - don't drill holes in wall even - just screw straight through plasterboard and into stud.  If the screw won't tighten and keeps turning then you've missed the stud...

Agree with the general principle. But joist centres often at 400mm rather than 600mm.

So glad this thread has been resurrected, been after some of these for ages.

My walls are solid, but my previous house had studded walls and I found the fixings such as in the link below to be far and away the best for plasterboard. The ones with sprung legs seemed to work loose after a while and start rattling, these winged plugs were bulletproof. Mind you I used to smear araldite or similar onto them, before knocking them in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMER-METAL-PLASTERBOARD-CAVITY-WALL-FIXING-PLUGS-INCLUDING-SCREWS-RAWLPLUG-/142317014838?var=&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-53481-19255-0%252F1%253Futm_source%253Dtwenga%2526utm_param%253DeyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzU3ZjdjM2M4YzRkZmJkN2EyMWJiZDk1ODM4NWRmNiIsImkiOiI3MDM2NTUzMDgzNDQzMjgyOTE5IiwidHMiOjE1NDM5MjM4MDEsInYiOjMsInNvIjoxMDAsImMiOjQyOTA1fQ%253D%253D%2526utm_campaign%253Dtwenga%2526utm_medium%253Dcpc%2526ff3%253D4%2526pub%253D5574631662%2526toolid%253D10001%2526campid%253D5338243305%2526customid%253D0357f7c3c8c4dfbd7a21bbd958385df6%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252Fitm%25252FHAMMER-METAL-PLASTERBOARD-CAVITY-WALL-FIXING-PLUGS-INCLUDING-SCREWS-RAWLPLUG-%25252F142317014838%25253Fvar%25253D%2526srcrot%253D710-53481-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D1768497952776%2526rvr_ts%253D7907a01d1670ac1e3db74806ffda5768&ul_noapp=true

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plenty in at my local store (Thorne - S. Yorkshire\) I tried to lift one and decided I didn't fancy trying to put it up on a wall. Getting it to the tills would have probably resulted in some serious injury!

• RMweb Premium

Those fixings aren't bad but for heavy applications I prefer these

https://www.castorama.fr/100-chevilles-metal-autoforeuses-vis-diall-32mm/3663602925460_CAFR.prd

Something similar should be available in the UK since Castorama is part of KIngfisher (aka B&Q)

I use these-

https://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-cavity-fixing-l-80mm-dia-5mm-pack-of-20/56217_BQ.prd

I admit its probably overkill but the load is spread over quite an area and nothing has moved.

• RMweb Premium

Surely the solution is to fix a pair of cross timbers, secured into the partition joists at whatever seperation is required, and the the cabinet secured to those?

That’s what I did. With so many screws the wall will need to come down before the cabinets do!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I purchased a couple of these cabinets a couple of years ago. I then realised, or so I thought, that I had nowhere suitable to put them. Out of strong sunlight and/or strong enough walls. I have just spotted that I have a place that 'ticks all the boxes'. A previous owner of my house had converted a cupboard into a through passage and a quick measure confirms that there is room for both cabinets one above the other. The wall I intend to mount them on is the side of a chimney breast and never receives any sunlight direct or otherwise.

Plenty in at my local store (Thorne - S. Yorkshire\) I tried to lift one and decided I didn't fancy trying to put it up on a wall. Getting it to the tills would have probably resulted in some serious injury!

Top of a trolley how I got mine from the display, assisted by other intending purchaser and then swung off the trolley into a levelled boot. No chance of getting it out of the car so unpacked and each part brought indoors in turn. Re the wall, take the point about fixing into joists but mine fits between Ikea Billy Bookcase and a tall side unit so no chance of a joist being in the right place or accessible.

• RMweb Gold

I went to a Lidl in Exeter and found one - just one. Woohoo!

Very heavy as, everyone says. (The HSE ought to be all over them for lack of warning notices.) But I did exactly what Butler did: levered it onto a trolley and then into the car. Then at home, onto a sack truck and indoors.

Success. Thanks everyone for the headsup.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Probably didn't help that I left it to the end of the week, but after visiting 4 different stores I found one remaining. As mentioned, bloody heavy, but looks a great bit of kit, I'm very impressed for the price.

As a side note though, does anybody else find Lidl's policy of having to make every customer exiting the stores past an open till lane only utterly absurd?

Going in for one item only, to find they haven't got it, and then having to politely push past queues of people paying, or queuing to pay for their shopping, having to explain "I haven't bought anything, I just can't get out any other way" and feeling like people look at you like a potential shoplifter? Or is it just me?

At first I thought it was just the one store laid out like that, but it seems to be all of them.  

The Boss asked a nice lady who used a stockroom trolley to trundle it through the tills to the car. I watched on very impressed while the ladies lugged it into the car.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As a side note though, does anybody else find Lidl's policy of having to make every customer exiting the stores past an open till lane only utterly absurd?

Another exit would mean another member of staff, because unfortunately there are members of our society who are not above picking up an item and trying to leg it out of the store.

And another member of staff means our £49 display case would cost £59.

Edited by Andy Hayter