Lidl display cabinets now on sale

A few years ago they disappeared from Lidl in Perth like the proverbial snow of a dyke within days.

Went in yesterday, thinking there may be none left and if there was they may be reduced. There was 12 large ones and about 6 wee ones in Lidl Perth. No reductions though.

I don't know if anyone is still interested in these but the Lidl in Romford still has loads of them. Both big and small. In fact they are doing a deal. The small ones are £30 each and £50 for two. The big ones are £60 each and £100 for two. I would guess that they have about 20 of each size.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And here they are again in my local Lidl from this coming Monday 21st December 2015.  The large ones are still £100 for two, wood effect or white, and the small ones £50 for two.

I've had my two large ones up in my new shed since last Xmas and they are excellent for the money.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The thought of buying 2 large ones brings tears to the eyes*.

They are very heavy (33kg each IIRC) and you will need an assisant to get one into the trolley and several passing shoppers to get it out and into the car!!

* as a result of the hernia.

They are good though and at the price.........................

• RMweb Premium

33kg hanging on the wall with expensive models it it? Does the price include insurance? I think that's definitely made me decide not to buy any!

As long as you use the correct fixings for the type of wall construction you should be OK. I have had to change the selected place for one of my cabinets as the wall was of box tiles, plenty strong enough but a real PITA to drill into.

As long as you use the correct fixings for the type of wall construction you should be OK. I have had to change the selected place for one of my cabinets as the wall was of box tiles, plenty strong enough but a real PITA to drill into.

The walls in the room where I'd want to hang them are a mix of cement rendered stone with earth mortar, crumbly lime plaster on the same walls, and plasterboard drylining that may be damp at the back. I don't think I'll risk it! I'd rather like some display cases while I've got stock I haven't got layouts for, but the aim is for all of it to be on working layouts, so there's no point spending the money on the cases, then spending time making absolutely sure they won't fall off the walls!

• RMweb Premium

They do have feet.

With my 'Elf and Safety' (seasonal what?) I would point out that although freestanding you really should secure to wall . You don't want 33 kgs of primarily glass plus contents toppling over on wee Johnny who has been jumping up and down excitedly in front of it!

I've got mine resting on an IKEA unit to take the weight. Like others I didn't fancy just hanging it from wall , but it is secured to prevent it falling over. While stable it is relatively narrow and that landing on someone would not do them good!

Edited by Legend

The equivalent of 1.3 bags of cement being dropped on you (plus the weight of the contents), with the bonus of lots of sharp pointy bits to stab, as well as crush, you! I'm partially experienced in withstanding that sort of weight, due to a certain German Shepherd liking to launch herself at me, but it's something to try to avoid if possible!

With my 'Elf and Safety' (seasonal what?) I would point out that although freestanding you really should secure to wall . You don't want 33 kgs of primarily glass plus contents toppling over on wee Johnny who has been jumping up and down excitedly in front of it!

I've got mine resting on an IKEA unit to take the weight. Like others I didn't fancy just hanging it from wall , but it is secured to prevent it falling over. While stable it is relatively narrow and that landing on someone would not do them good!

I certainly agree with securing to the wall even when standing, but the load on the wall will be minimal compared to trying to support 33kgs!