Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

• RMweb Premium

There is/was a brake van near March (Manea?) that is sitting on a disconnected piece of track. Passed it a few times when I lived in the area - may have been an SR type?

As far as I am aware its still there.

There used to be a load of Cartics, BR ferry vans and other odds and sods somewhere near Ripple Lane. If still they're still there (they were certainly there last April) then it must be 20 years+ since they last turned a wheel.

When did Fords stop making cars at Dagenham?

There is an LMS brake van on the disused branch out of Radstock.  I'm guessing it was once some form of barrier wagon ...

There was a conflat parked in Faversham for decades until they re-did the subway a few years back.

There's two in the former Northwich yard:

1. A SNCF four wheeled flat wagon. I think these were used to convey anti-knock compound from Plumley to the continent. Not sure when the traffic ceased, but it must be by the end of the train ferry in the early 90's - and the plumley plant closed before then as well, I think. As I pass it in the morning, I often wonder if they're still looking for it.

This was being used for carrrying wheelsets from France to Allerton. It was in the formation of 6S44 Willseden to Mossend, diverted via Middlewich due to the collision between the 142s and 87027 at Winsford in 1998. The SNCF flat derailed at Middlewich and was put off at Northwich after being rerailed. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if it's still there but there had been a very old tank wagon at the north end of the eat side yard at Doncaster (opposite Carr Loco) for many years.   Also last year I went one the Airdrie Bathgate line and there were some bogie  flats on the north side of the line near Airdrie with trees growing through them still on rail though. 

On a slightly different tack a few years ago when some work was being done at Wakefield Kirkgate 4 parcels van were found inside  part of the station that no one knew were there.  I believe some of them ended up in preservation.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

We've had a thread like this before and the wagon that stood out in my memory is the well wagon hiding in the ballast at the east end of the yard in Plymouth. That's been there for many many years and is still there.

• RMweb Gold

There's two engineers wagons by the side of the track upside down on the stretch of track between Corby and Manton Junction that have been there for years following a derailment.

Also the sidings around Scunthorpe Steelworks appears to have a strategic reserve of steel carrying wagons awaiting an upturn in steel production.

There is something lurking in the trees at the side of Knottingley station,

and as being there for many years.

Just wondered if the lone VDA is still at the old Carrington fuel depot, near Manchester

that line as long being disconnected.

(still there on google earth & bing maps 3/4 view)

This was being used for carrrying wheelsets from France to Allerton. It was in the formation of 6S44 Willseden to Mossend, diverted via Middlewich due to the collision between the 142s and 87027 at Winsford in 1998. The SNCF flat derailed at Middlewich and was put off at Northwich after being rerailed. 

40044, thanks for the facts on this, thats great and shows the power of the web!

Regards

Richard

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Premium

It is indeed a CCT. Anyone want to preserve it?

I am always depressed when I pass Carnforth and see stock that has been there rotting away for years, but the examples shown indicate that anything at Carnforth may last another decade or more before it finally crumbles to dust.

• Like 1

there is a wooden bodied VVV van in Peterborough west yard, along with three ferry vans, one in each livery carried, dutch, bauxite and railfreight. a bream wagon and a oca wagon full of pea shingle. a southern region brake van at manea that's clocking up 30 years in the siding and the last time I wengt through diss on the train there some wagons stored in a disconnected yard there.

There used to be a load of Cartics, BR ferry vans and other odds and sods somewhere near Ripple Lane. If still they're still there (they were certainly there last April) then it must be 20 years+ since they last turned a wheel.

Looking at Bing maps there are two Cartics and various other wagons & vans there.  Suspect they will still be there as the track appears not to be connected and there is no direct road access to remove them by other means (cutting up).

Looking at Bing maps there are two Cartics and various other wagons & vans there.  Suspect they will still be there as the track appears not to be connected and there is no direct road access to remove them by other means (cutting up).

Could you give a URL for the map, or a clearer description of where this is. I looked hard on Google (mind finding Ripple Lane is very difficult as it doesn't appear to be a real name derived from anything local - there is a Ripple Road) but did not see anything that appeared to be cartics. They deserve to be preserved, showing how the BR designers worked very effectively within the limited loading gauge to provide an efficient way of transporting this light but bulky load.

Paul

I have seen the "rake" last year, very derelict and no idea as to what they are. Try going west from Dagenham Dock station .

p.s only ever heard of a Ripple Road Barking.

On google maps there are a large number of vehicles in sidings.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium

Could you give a URL for the map, or a clearer description of where this is. I looked hard on Google (mind finding Ripple Lane is very difficult as it doesn't appear to be a real name derived from anything local - there is a Ripple Road) but did not see anything that appeared to be cartics. They deserve to be preserved, showing how the BR designers worked very effectively within the limited loading gauge to provide an efficient way of transporting this light but bulky load.

Paul

Look for Rennick Road, Barking. The sidings are either side of Rennick Road just south of Ripple Road. Ripple Lane itself used to be just to the east of Rennick Road but its not on my current A-Z which just shows an industrial site where it used to be. Considerable alterations took place in the area when the CTRL2 was built perhaps that was when it ceased to exist.

Those two vans in the north bay at Oxford again,the furthest one from the camera is a GUV, the nearest one is a CCT... ;)

post-7638-0-04111300-1390154467.jpg

Edit : almost forgot - hidden in the undergrowth near milepost 101 on the Knighton Jcn - Coalville line is the upturned chassis of a shark brakevan which derailed many years ago and was left in situ. It's a few yards east of one of the road overbridges.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4