Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

Looking at Bing maps there are two Cartics and various other wagons & vans there.  Suspect they will still be there as the track appears not to be connected and there is no direct road access to remove them by other means (cutting up).

I couldn't see any Cartics in the line of stock on the very heavily overgrown siding at the western end of Ripple Lane yard.  As far as I can identify, from the western end the wagons are:-

BR brakevan

3 x Grampus

Carflat ? with floor missing

LMS brakevan with floor and sides missing

3 SR Van B

2 brakevans (burnt-out)

3 BR Ferry vans

VDA

Burnt out brake van

VDA

The wagons on the two roads behind still seem to be serviceable- Megafrets and ferryvans.

I can't help but think they've over done the 'burnt-out brake van cliché..

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH3#Y3A9NTEuNTM0NjY1fjAuMTMzOTc4Jmx2bD0xNCZzdHk9ciZlbz0wJnE9RGFnZW5oYW0lMjUyMERvY2s=

should take you to the site.

What are the car carriers here? http://binged.it/19FmM8k

Andi

Mainly STVA 2 and 4-wagon sets, built around 1992, with a few of the single deck variety used for SUVs and vans:-

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IPA-Vehicle-carriers shows them more clearly.

The blue flats are Transfesa container flats for the Silla service.

Returning to the line of the undead at Ripple Lane, does anyone know how the zoom facility works on these? I had some further looks at the Bing views at work overnight; when looking using the close-up zoom, the vehicles on the live tracks behind were a selection of container flats. As I zoomed out, however, these mutated into a number of Sealion (or similar) ballast hoppers, with a EWS 66 also becoming visible. Does this mean that the images used for a given view are different on Bing, depending on the 'zoom', in some cases? It's not something I've noticed on Google Earth.

Not so much abandoned, but well of the beaten track.

Is a MML Mk3 at Birkenshaw Fire training station (near Bradford).

There is what appears to me to be a coach from a 4CEP in use as a showroom at Garden Art on the A4 Bath road in Hungerford. At least that's what I think it is when viewed from the road, I've not been in the yard to look.

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't see any Cartics in the line of stock on the very heavily overgrown siding at the western end of Ripple Lane yard.  As far as I can identify, from the western end the wagons are:-

BR brakevan

3 x Grampus

Carflat ? with floor missing

LMS brakevan with floor and sides missing

3 SR Van B

2 brakevans (burnt-out)

3 BR Ferry vans

VDA

Burnt out brake van

VDA

The wagons on the two roads behind still seem to be serviceable- Megafrets and ferryvans.

I can't help but think they've over done the 'burnt-out brake van cliché..

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH3#Y3A9NTEuNTM0NjY1fjAuMTMzOTc4Jmx2bD0xNCZzdHk9ciZlbz0wJnE9RGFnZW5oYW0lMjUyMERvY2s=

should take you to the site.

I may be wrong but behind the B vans is the "wavy" outline of a car carrier. don't know if it is a cartic but there is something there. I've tried to Bingit,

http://binged.it/1eZ0FcP

Returning to the line of the undead at Ripple Lane, does anyone know how the zoom facility works on these? I had some further looks at the Bing views at work overnight; when looking using the close-up zoom, the vehicles on the live tracks behind were a selection of container flats. As I zoomed out, however, these mutated into a number of Sealion (or similar) ballast hoppers, with a EWS 66 also becoming visible. Does this mean that the images used for a given view are different on Bing, depending on the 'zoom', in some cases? It's not something I've noticed on Google Earth.

It happens on Google Earth too, I was looking for an address in Edinburgh, and in one view there is a building site and the next there are new flats. I presume its because different zoom levels call on images of a different date and because not everything is updated at the same time. You've probably also seen Streetview change season halfway down a road ...

Edited by DavidH

It happens on Google Earth too, I was looking for an address in Edinburgh, and in one view there is a building site and the next there are new flats. I presume its because different zoom levels call on images of a different date and because not everything is updated at the same time. You've probably also seen Streetview change season halfway down a road ...

Thanks for that- I was beginning to wonder if it was just me..

Could you give a URL for the map, or a clearer description of where this is. I looked hard on Google (mind finding Ripple Lane is very difficult as it doesn't appear to be a real name derived from anything local - there is a Ripple Road) but did not see anything that appeared to be cartics. They deserve to be preserved, showing how the BR designers worked very effectively within the limited loading gauge to provide an efficient way of transporting this light but bulky load.

Paul

Paul,

Paste the below in to Bing or Google maps

51.530487, 0.106499

If you rotate the view in Bing you will see the Cartics clearly.  If you 'Streetview' in Google on Wivenhoe road you will see the vans there.  Looking from Alfreds Way you can just see a overgrown shrubbery, may be underneath it all.

Steven

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Paste the below in to Bing or Google maps

51.530487, 0.106499

If you rotate the view in Bing you will see the Cartics clearly.  If you 'Streetview' in Google on Wivenhoe road you will see the vans there.  Looking from Alfreds Way you can just see a overgrown shrubbery, may be underneath it all.

Steven

Or simply follow my link in post 61

Andi

A slight deviation...

If you follow the link that Andi gives, there is a large shed in the foreground (Barking Storage?)- on the opposite side of that to the yard are a pair of sidings in a fenced-off area, with two large tractor-shovels being used to handle what looks to be coal. Does anyone know what that traffic might be? It's definitely being used to load wagons, not unload them, as this type of machine would be no use in unloading wagons.

Spoil from somewhere? Is Crossrail anywhere nearby?. That same area looks somewhat lighter on the corresponding Google view, so maybe it had rained on Bing, turning the colour darker? Stab in the dark really.

I wondered if it was something like that, but Crossrail's nowhere near (and the spoil from the eastern-drive tunnels goes out by barge), and there's a  rubbish/spoil transfer facility next to Dagenham Dock station, so I doubt there'd be another so close by. In one view (which I can't find now), there's an artic tipper with a red tarpaulin arriving. In the Google view, the tractor-shovels are absent, but there's what could almost be a wagon on one of the tracks.

• Like 1

There's an old electrification wagon in an abandoned siding near Heaton depot in Newcastle. It must have been there since at least the completion of the wiring of the ECML in 1991 or thereabouts. It's some kind of very short wheelbase single bolster wagon with a couple of A-frames mounted on it (which I presume held cable drums). All of the other departmental wagons that were left in Heaton engineers yard (including a very early MK1 corridor coach) were cut up on site about ten years ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/Arvm1

Arp

There is what appears to me to be a coach from a 4CEP in use as a showroom at Garden Art on the A4 Bath road in Hungerford. At least that's what I think it is when viewed from the road, I've not been in the yard to look.

That would be this one-

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=5342