SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

In the Met there was one excellent TLA, used in radio communications. When giving the outcome of a call to the control room, the acronym of LOB was used to indicate that the call was of little substance. :)

There were also a lot used in medical notes in times gone by, all that had to stop when patients gained access to their records. One example that comes to mind, often used in what used to be called Cas and now is A&E - FDP.  Fell Down P!ssed.  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There were also a lot used in medical notes in times gone by, all that had to stop when patients gained access to their records. One example that comes to mind, often used in what used to be called Cas and now is A&E - FDP.  Fell Down P!ssed.  :jester:

They weren't all three letters though.

TFBundy - a patient who was unaccountably just about surviving - totally fupped but not dead yet.

FOAD - a difficult patient - fup off and die.

• Like 2

They weren't all three letters though.

TFBundy - a patient who was unaccountably just about surviving - totally fupped but not dead yet.

Sir Duckship - Yesterday I attended the QACC for my three monthly review where I was told I was NFN.  (Quick Access Chest Clinic & Normal For Norfolk)  

Strange, I don't live there - yet! :sungum:

Edited by vaughan45

Me and a group of friends went through a stage where one or the other (sometimes several at once) would be suffering from a P.R.I. (pissed related injury).

Usually from climbing over barbwire fences or slipping on roadside verges consisting of pea gravel (we live in a rural area) on the way home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my Control days, more than 40 years ago, late starts from Victoria would often be ascribed to WFG - Waiting For Guard. At least, that was the polite public meaning of the F-word! Since the train would invariably be rung out to the signalbox before the guard’s absence had been noted, and the road given, the Traffic Regulator would grind his teeth at the several other delays that might accrue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most people do not read the pre meeting notes. This was proved when one of the Human Resources chaps , who I got on with , was given the task of writing the Paternal Leave Policy. I suggested to him that he put in male staff had to give 10 months notice if they wished to have leave when their wife/partner had a baby. He did, it was one of the porter reps who said "Are you sure about 10 months notice?" None of the mangers had spotted it nor had the mid wives representatives.  :rtfm:

Failure to read notes or papers before meetings seems to be a common trait.  We noticed it was happening with stuff that was being put to the Regional Investment Panel and the Deputy GM who chaired the panel was getting a bit irritated by it.  So for a meeting of the Panel held on 1st April I produced single side only paper seeking authority to develop a particular scheme and with the DGM's connivance it was listed as the final paper for the meeting.  the meeting duly got to the end of the agenda and a paper proposing infrastructure changes to allow a major increase in train speeds throughout the Western Region and, so I was told later, as usual nobody had even bothered to look at this very short paper that barely filled one side of a sheet of A4.  

The DGM duly opened discussion and other attendees made all sorts of positive noises about the proposal - until the DGM read aloud the final sentence of the paper which read 'Accordingly Investment Panel is asked to approve development of a scheme to convert all Western Region lines to a track gauge of 7 feet which will allow these substantial increases in train speeds and reductions in journey time to be achieved'.  According to Bill Kent, the DGM, it brought the house down - with considerable embarrassment all round and a large grin on his face plus a warning to all attendees that he hoped the lesson had been learnt.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I used to love watching those trains coming up the bank. The 'Meldons' were best with 2 on the front and two on the back. Immense noise.

Pharty

Glad you like sir.

What a sight that must have been!

T. Opsham

• RMweb Premium

Glad you like sir.

What a sight that must have been!

T. Opsham

I went to Central several times in 1960, '61 and '62 + bunks of Exmuff Juncshop. Still got the 'lists'. Sadly by '63 the distraction of those  girly things began to take hold (no sniggering) and I only visited Exeter a couple of times when the Ws had taken over from the Zs. Never went to Seaton Junction and didn't have a proper camera. I also hardly had any dosh so trips were limited and in 1963 in April (just after the big freeze) I had saved up for a mammoth 3 day spotting tour of the midlands and South Wales  and also some self guided trips to Bristol, York and a Weeks west of England runabout. Steam had more or less gone from Plymuff after the summer of 63 and I lost interest really (idiot). There was a final trip to the smoke in 64 (still steam at Euston and Clapham Junction)

Super memories and happy days all round.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Chapter two: The Wilderness Years.

1965 and most of 1966! 

Chapter three: Regeneration.

1967 and I met a young woman in Weymuff in May and lo, from her digs I heard a Bulleid whistle just a few weeks later and the wick in the Engine that had gone out, spluttered back into life. That tale is old news but I am so glad it happened.

Silly Oldgit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Being younger than your Duckness my beer, punk rock, and being rejected by women period happened in the mid seventies. By the time I found reality BR had gone and renumbered all the blighters so interest in real railways stopped but hysterical historical interest continues to this day. There a D&E modeller who has no interest in anything with a TOPS number. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Chapter two: The Wilderness Years.

1965 and most of 1966! 

Chapter three: Regeneration.

1967 and I met a young woman in Weymuff in May and lo, from her digs I heard a Bulleid whistle just a few weeks later and the wick in the Engine that had gone out, spluttered back into life. That tale is old news but I am so glad it happened.

Silly Oldgit.

Ooer missus.