SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lettuce and Salad Cream Sandwiches and Individual Fruit Pies consumed whilst sitting on the Hydrant wheel of the Water Crane at the end of the main Up Platform at Exeter Central, Summers 1960/61 and '62.....and a bit of '63.

Those hazy, crazy days before young women destroyed my interest in trains. Fortunately I soon recovered from that around 1969!

Ar$£

An, I had completely forgotten about Individual Fruit Pies , back in the days before the world went mad. 

I envy you seeing Exeter in the days of steam. My spotting pattern was similar to yours, but the bottom dropped out of my interest when steam disappeared from KX. Fortunately it revived a little in the last few months of Southern steam from Waterloo, and I bitterly regretted not taking an interest in the Southern much earlier after I started to appreciate that the disappearing Rebuilt Bullieds were every bit as magnificent as the Gresleys and Peppercorns. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have sandwich spread on my toast SWMBO said only poor people like that according to her snobby mother along with sago & tapioca puddings,

SWMBO has Ketchup with everything yuk :bo_mini: but acceptable with fish & chips. 

Piggin Out

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I blame you lot for not stopping me.

I finally bought some bread from the Italian artisans yesterday.

It's very nice.

As was the artichoke pizza slice they skillfully guided me to.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have just remembered that they were made by Lyons and as they disappeared some years ago, along with the 'nippy', how many will remember the 'nippy'?

It’s it mere coincidence that Lyons closed their Fruit Pie factory the same year that that steam finally disappeared and left thousands of spotters distraught and bereft ?

Dr B. Ching.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 81C said:

I have sandwich spread on my toast SWMBO said only poor people like that according to her snobby mother along with sago & tapioca puddings,

SWMBO has Ketchup with everything yuk :bo_mini: but acceptable with fish & chips. 

Piggin Out

I used to love that sort of pudding, particularly Semolina with lumps. I wuz brought up to eat what I was given, not like todays little ##### . Simple stuff but nutritious and not full of carp.

Ar$£

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have just remembered that they were made by Lyons and as they disappeared some years ago, along with the 'nippy', how many will remember the 'nippy'?

Wasp-waisted waitresses. 

The 20.00 Clapham Junction Western to Bricklayers Arms vans were always known as ‘The Cakes’, since they mainly contained products from Lyons’ Cadby Hall facility. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I blame you lot for not stopping me.

I finally bought some bread from the Italian artisans yesterday.

It's very nice.

As was the artichoke pizza slice they skillfully guided me to.

Were they artisanal artichokes?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Were they artisanal artichokes?

They might have been.

They might not have been.

I am not in a position to confirm or deny anything other than the fact that they were described to me as artichokes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

They might have been.

They might not have been.

I am not in a position to confirm or deny anything other than the fact that they were described to me as artichokes.

Politics needs you, Tim!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Did they cease production of individual fruit pies that long ago? That is scary..!

I, in recent ish times had a yearning for toast toppers, and imagine my delight to find some still available on eBay of all places...when I got a few tins and tried one, they were 'orrible..! Nothing like the original version, perhaps they've been made to remove all the good ingredients by the EU or something..

Another one I miss is ..Cresta ( it's frothy, man!)

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

R. Whites lemonade; I was the secret lemonade drinker.

Anyhow, many moons ago, on a thread about a strange region and railway line far away in the east, I was insisting that I used to consume Hales Individual Fruit Pies, not Lyons as I was consistently ordered to remember that I had actually bought, with my pennies round and flat. This would have been in Plymuff and the wild west as I didn'y get away much. Being a narky bast##d I investigated said Hales Pies and discovered that they had indeed been produced, but they had been 'taken over'/absorbed by Lyons, so shove that up your crust you ER Pie snobs.:clapping:I also did not drink Tizer, except when I once (in 1963) did a shed bash in Brizzle and I was gagging for fluid, having walked to the local sheds from Temple Meadicals. Oh how wonderful that dirty and sooty Barrow Road Shed was and then the utopia that was St Phillip's Marsh (twin roundhouse and all). Wasn't allowed into Bath Road, but that, seemingly, was par for the course and one had to sneak in some secret Brizzle fence hole. It was sh#te anyway and I probably didn't need hardly anything hiding in there.  

Weird, I can't really remember what I used to eat and drink back then unlike some that insist their duffle bags always had Tizer and some sort of cr#p sandwiches filled with diced puke or bl00dy marmite.

Ar$£

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Weird, I can't really remember what I used to eat and drink back then unlike some that insist their duffle bags always had Tizer and some sort of cr#p sandwiches filled with diced puke or bl00dy marmite.

Ar$£

.....but you said earlier that you used to eat food that was simple but nutritious, that’s why we all fought you always ad Tizer and marmalade sandwiches. Can’t get much more nutritious than that.:bo_mini: 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jazzer said:

.....but you said earlier that you used to eat food that was simple but nutritious, that’s why we all fought you always ad Tizer and marmalade sandwiches. Can’t get much more nutritious than that.:bo_mini: 

Apologies, I meanded on trips out. Apart from the salad sarnies, Hales Pies and Ice Pops I can't really remember, except for one thing on a 3 day shed bash in 63 when I was starving by the third day and at Gloucester en route to Brizzle for the train home to Plymuff, and bought some Bread Pudding on Eastgate Station. Pure nectar. One other was probably my first cup of frothy coffee ever, on Kings Cross in 1960.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I know my dad, it was always my dad who made the pack lunches, would include a Mars bar, cannot remember what else we had. One delight I do recall from my spotting days was Nestle chocolate out of the machine on the platform, lovely on a cold day. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know my dad, it was always my dad who made the pack lunches, would include a Mars bar, cannot remember what else we had. One delight I do recall from my spotting days was Nestle chocolate out of the machine on the platform, lovely on a cold day. 

"out of the machine on the platform" - ah, you've just reminded me about Payne's Poppets from the machines on the Underground.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Apologies, I meanded on trips out. Apart from the salad sarnies, Hales Pies and Ice Pops I can't really remember, except for one thing on a 3 day shed bash in 63 when I was starving by the third day and at Gloucester en route to Brizzle for the train home to Plymuff, and bought some Bread Pudding on Eastgate Station. Pure nectar. One other was probably my first cup of frothy coffee ever, on Kings Cross in 1960.

I know , I was being facetious. I can’t remember what I had half the time. I was in the Loco Spotters club for a while and we used to be out all day, starting from Stratford and getting well out the other side of London, to places like Reading getting back late at night and  I can’t remember even having anything to eat, far less remember what it was.  One thing my memory has been jogged on was a few trips to Southend behind steam , straight out  Southend Central into the Rossi’s ice cream parlour, for a cornet that seemed to keep me going the rest of the day. Only just remembered that, thanks to this thread ! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

"out of the machine on the platform" - ah, you've just reminded me about Payne's Poppets from the machines on the Underground.

The Payne’s factory was alongside the line between Waddon and Wallington.

• Informative/Useful 2