SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Too many so##ing supermarkets built on ex railway land, e.g. Exmouth Junction. I can forgive Sainsbury's at Bath GP....just.

Ar$£

Shall we have a short session on railway related Supermarkets and/or other places that still retain some proper job railway Infrastructure?

The Garden Centre in Ross on Wye Loco Shed (the Goods Shed is OK but just a garage/workshops and is a bit if a mess.

Axminster Goods Shed is something to do with some sort of Distribution place. 

Possibly my  favourite is Derby Roundhouse (show this weekend by the way) used by the Uni and beautifully restored. Not been to the Camden one.

Some goodies in Lincoln but I'll leave that to Gilbert.

Don't mention the RM in York or else!

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but can I just pop in for a minute with something SJ related?

You don't go past for a few days & look what happens - someone starts painting the steelwork on the canopy!  What's that all about then?  Looks like I'll have to start asking a few questions.

IMG_20190510_151123_710.jpg.2eab7954c1aaa749f3f8d7edbb7e59e2.jpg

As an aside, looking back the other way, our friend from Colyton seems to have been busy prettying up the jungle behind the concrete fence at the back of the former up platform

IMG_20190510_151223_614.jpg.5d7db0fb2833340bf402ca93a262feab.jpg

and someone's going for a 'roses round the door' look at the former booking hall entrance.

IMG_20190510_151307_429.jpg.32a828b007487eb1aca213af941b1996.jpg

Note old rail used instead of kerb stones.

NB    apparent flying saucer in first photo is top of septic tank installed last year.  Don't know whether or not it's actually connected to anything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, devonseasider said:

apparent flying saucer in first photo is top of septic tank installed last year.  Don't know whether or not it's actually connected to anything.

Venus?

2 hours ago, devonseasider said:

IMG_20190510_151307_429.jpg.32a828b007487eb1aca213af941b1996.jpg

I do believe that those are original Savvan Railway 'No Parking' notices.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Shall we have a short session on railway related Supermarkets and/or other places that still retain some proper job railway Infrastructure?

Goods shed in Brent is now my dentist, known as 'Primrose Junction'.

Isn't the station building and overall room at Windermere now a supermarket as well?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I thought it was a trampoline that had been lost in the undergrowth.

I thought it was a Packet Driving wheel, lost since the 1950s when the Class had 'a little trouble':heat:

Looks like the usual annual tidy up to comply with 'work in progress' ref Planning permission, or they are reopening the last leg of the Tramway up to the Junction in time for the redoubling of the main line and reinstatement of SJ as Chute park and Ride. 

Ta dear heart.

P

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Goods shed in Brent is now my dentist, known as 'Primrose Junction'.

Isn't the station building and overall room at Windermere now a supermarket as well?

No idea CK but I do know that the Buffet at Carnforth has been returned to as near the state it was in in Brief Encounter. I do hope the cakes have been replaced though as they may be a little chewy by now. 

Pontrilas Station House has been a B & B and the Station building a Self Catering place, for many years. Stayed there quite a few times but not a lot of train interest now sadly. 

Locally Gainsborough Lea Road Station is looked after by a 'Friends Group', but sadly they are in an ongoing battle with the local idiot vandals from a 'camp site' nearby. 

Retford Platform 1 Buffet was used by the local Railway Club but has been taken on by some di## he## that wants to make it into a Pub. No access from the Platform as far as I am aware. Nowt much happened in 6 months though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was assisting in dismantling Lodge Hill Station (Westbury Sub Mendip) the goods shed was being used to build micro light aircraft and the track bed was used as the runway. The dismantled building now forms the station at Cranmore on the East Somerset Railway.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

When I was assisting in dismantling Lodge Hill Station (Westbury Sub Mendip) the goods shed was being used to build micro light aircraft and the track bed was used as the runway. The dismantled building now forms the station at Cranmore on the East Somerset Railway.

When I were a lad, (late 60s early 70s) Lodge Hill was my schools Geography Field Centre.

We also managed to persuade our form master to sanction a party there - but I'll say no more now!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, devonseasider said:

NB    apparent flying saucer in first photo is top of septic tank installed last year.  Don't know whether or not it's actually connected to anything.

A bit big!  The one installed in our garden has just a pipe to which the pumper comes every few years to attach the sucker upper which whisks it all away.  This is covered by a garden ornament or a couple of rocks so it isn't noticeable.:O

Brian.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

the pumper comes every few years to attach the sucker upper which whisks it all away. 

This is one of our local sucker-upper companies, always makes me smile:

Alwayscleansing.jpg.66c8d018b3aea9106735e8c25076d507.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Garden Centre in Ross on Wye Loco Shed (the Goods Shed is OK but just a garage/workshops and is a bit if a mess.

Axminster Goods Shed is something to do with some sort of Distribution place. 

Possibly my  favourite is Derby Roundhouse (show this weekend by the way) used by the Uni and beautifully restored. Not been to the Camden one.

Some goodies in Lincoln but I'll leave that to Gilbert.

Don't mention the RM in York or else!

P

The goods shed at Horley is some sort of retail outlet, Kentish Town Engine shed was taken over by J.Murphy the builders although at least they paid homage to its former glory inside, when making it a Hi Tech head office. Broad Street - oh! Broad Street has been replaced by some sort shopping thing that personified everything I despise about modern London.  As for what was the suburban side of Kings Cross and the loco yard, let’s not even mention    what is happening.

The old Metropolitan bay platform at Liverpool St Underground , whose track formation was the inspiration for C.J.Freezers original Minories has been blocked up as if it never existed although I still feel the ghost of Sarah Siddons standing at the buffers the other side of the dreadful hoarding.

And North Woolwich, the beautiful old North Woolwich where I first developed this addiction to railways ( that is proper trains , not soul-less electrics) stands boarded up and falling apart awaiting its fate , like some sick animal waiting to be put down because it’s owner can’t pay the vets fees. Worse still I can’t get in to photograph the old palace for posterity ( Elf ‘n’ Saydee , mate). 

Do our politicians have have no sense of history, culture or architecture ?

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jazzer said:

The goods shed at Horley is some sort of retail outlet, Kentish Town Engine shed was taken over by J.Murphy the builders although at least they paid homage to its former glory inside, when making it a Hi Tech head office. Broad Street - oh! Broad Street has been replaced by some sort shopping thing that personified everything I despise about modern London.  As for what was the suburban side of Kings Cross and the loco yard, let’s not even mention    what is happening.

The old Metropolitan bay platform at Liverpool St Underground , whose track formation was the inspiration for C.J.Freezers original Minories has been blocked up as if it never existed although I still feel the ghost of Sarah Siddons standing at the buffers the other side of the dreadful hoarding.

And North Woolwich, the beautiful old North Woolwich where I first developed this addiction to railways ( that is proper trains , not soul-less electrics) stands boarded up and falling apart awaiting its fate , like some sick animal waiting to be put down because it’s owner can’t pay the vets fees. Worse still I can’t get in to photograph the old palace for posterity ( Elf ‘n’ Saydee , mate). 

You forgot Holborn Viaduct, partly mea culpa, and so have most other people. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jazzer said:

I have not been to North Woolwich for many years. It stood derelict for many years until being rather nicely restored as a museum. I take it, from your post, that it has become derelict again - a real shame.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think you already know the answer to that one, matey.

Of course our politicians know the sense of history, culture and architecture, that is why they want to spend tax money on rebuilding their place (museum) of work  so it is fit for the 19th century.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1