Mallard60022

SOS Junction. Railway Modelling included, rarely.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apparently, it is the same at Cheltenham.

I say 'apparently', because I avoid the area like the plague during race week. It was bad enough travelling up to work in Bristol on a Voyager on race mornings and having to share the first class compartment with braying horsey toff types.

Ah CK. You may like to take a bow in that it be your ex 80xxx that will perform on wot I mentioned above.

On the ECML it is often Hen or Stag  crowds that infest up trains and they are already pi##ed before they get on half the time. Doh!

P

• Like 1

The drunker they are the more they spend on betting.

As for the horses how many end up on a dinner plate in Belgium if they don't perform?

• Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 14/06/2019 at 21:37, Clive Mortimore said:

Never heard the early Brush 2s called Baldies, they were always Toffee Apples*. The blue star disc headcode locos were called Skinheads by 80s spotters but real Skinheads were Sulzer Bo-Bos. 

* Toffee Apples because of shape of one of the control handles that was removed and returned to stores (without looking at me books I cannot remember if it was the power handle or the brake).

I was really referring jokingly to the Soviet translation of skinheads. I never actually heard anything referred to as skinheads until Hornby brought out their..Er.. Skinhead Type 2.

Yes ,the Toffee Apples technically referred to the early Brush Type 2’s because of the shape of the power handle  but it seems to have become a bit of a generic term for the whole class according to some although after, I think , the first 20 they had a totally different control desk with no toffee apple lever. Strangely enough, in all the hours I spent at Liverpool St. I never heard them referred to as Toffee Apples. I am not dead sure about this but I think the “toffee apple “ was what the Stratford drivers called the control handle itself but the name came to mean the loco when some spotters picked up the term.

Not surprising our wife’s think we are bonkers , when we get carried away with these things !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The drunker they are the more they spend on betting.

As for the horses how many end up on a dinner plate in Belgium if they don't perform?

Bet they don't get that far, with a nice sauce in a London restaurant I bet you wouldn't know..;)

CK, one advantage of Cheltenham Festival Week was the fact that the caff next to the office where I was employed in Swindon used to reduce the price of his breakfasts. Luvvly jubbly

Tim T

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

How come so many people get pi$$ed at race meetings and then inflict their staggeringly (literally) crude behaviour on the innocents? Discuss!

P.S. I think a couple of them (female..... well sort of) may have rolled up in a taxi at 36E during the troubles, fell out of the taxi, staggered across the road and stumbled & zig zagged in a most dangerous way down towards platforms 3/4. May not have been from York, but they were dressed (undressed?) like they had been somewhere like the races.  Fortunately they were too far gone to be bothered with the huddled group of spotters waiting for Tornado (including me). I wonder of they made it to wherever they were heading ?

I think I saw those two on the station earlier.  Difficult to be sure though as there were dozens fitting the description.  I've really no idea WHY, but it seems to be the law that they DO.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jazzer said:

I was really referring jokingly to the Soviet translation of skinheads. I never actually heard anything referred to as skinheads until Hornby brought out their..Er.. Skinhead Type 2.

Yes ,the Toffee Apples technically referred to the early Brush Type 2’s because of the shape of the power handle  but it seems to have become a bit of a generic term for the whole class according to some although after, I think , the first 20 they had a totally different control desk with no toffee apple lever. Strangely enough, in all the hours I spent at Liverpool St. I never heard them referred to as Toffee Apples. I am not dead sure about this but I think the “toffee apple “ was what the Stratford drivers called the control handle itself but the name came to mean the loco when some spotters picked up the term.

Not surprising our wife’s think we are bonkers , when we get carried away with these things !

About 50 years ago, in my Control days, I do recall our motive power controller being somewhat bemused when Liv St Control's man came on demanding his toffee-apple engine back. A Brush Type 2 had got marooned at Norwood for some reason. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5