SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

OK so who believed I was going to see if I could be the Hornby Café Santa's Grotto santa?

If so, I lied. I was just going for a ride on some Javelins and to see the sea.

Ar$£

Come on Phil mate tell the truth, you didn't get the job when at the practical part of the interview you told the kid to clear off and invited the mum to sit on your lap saying " Have I got a surprise for you".

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

I didn't for a moment, there's no such thing as Santa Claus...this is the real one...

krampus-and-child-christmas.jpg.optimal.jpg

Oh, I'd forgotten the chains and shaved me legs; that was the problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure the Red Box people would have paid for you to be Santa. They wanted us to take our 'Santa' layout to a shin-dig they are having in August, but rather than pay for our van hire and accommodation, they would let us have the space for free. Hmmmm. What a way to run a railway.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to some sort of reality. My Terrier (very like Mr Morgan's in the Footer above) is alive and performing. Zimo chip does not like DCC 80s though.

Otherwise, some Gorilla and Evostick was spread and some styrene sheet fixed, as was a bit of 1/4 batten (no not cake you Gannets). Continuing prep for some final bits of shelf on the Incline.

CBA to do anything else.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2019 at 08:06, St Enodoc said:

A lawyer friend used to refer to some contract clauses as "Father Christmas and Easter Bunny clauses" - because if you believed them you'd believe anything.

Edited by ian
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Greetings from the cobweb strewn Junction. After a long period of inactivity due to duff health and stupid heatwave, I have some enthusiasm following some helpful work by Ian at Redgate Models. He offered to fix the completely knackered gears and chip one of my Modified Pacifics, sort the duff sound on a Spam, hot wire an old Baccy Nelson and fight to chip CKs ex 80xxx tanky. I had fun seeing if they performed up The Junction during this afternoon when it were pi##ing down and wasn't too hot up there.

That's it for now.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

News of the junction at last after visions of its demise!:bad:  No problem with cobwebs, tinplate sweeps through scattering any guilty spiders without any trouble, dunno about OO though!  Sometimes, I wonder what's lurking in the tunnels!:scare:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, brianusa said:

News of the junction at last after visions of its demise!:bad:  No problem with cobwebs, tinplate sweeps through scattering any guilty spiders without any trouble, dunno about OO though!  Sometimes, I wonder what's lurking in the tunnels!:scare:

Brian.

Butterflies?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Butterflies?

In my case, a Tortoiseshell and that is no joke. My one and only sound steam loco is a spam can and I can sound the excellent whistle (choice of two sounds)approaching and exiting from, the Hungry Caterpillar/Chrysalis/ emerging beauty. The sound isn't amazing but when I 'close the regulator' as it leaves the tunnel to coast down the incline, the rod clank is brilliant, as is the chatter from the 'exhaust' as I 'open up' after coasting through the station going 'west' around the reverse curves towards Honiton Incline! Silly really, however it amuses me and I suppose it has reignited my mojo somewhat so progress can resume.

P

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

In my case, a Tortoiseshell and that is no joke. My one and only sound steam loco is a spam can and I can sound the excellent whistle (choice of two sounds)approaching and exiting from, the Hungry Caterpillar/Chrysalis/ emerging beauty. The sound isn't amazing but when I 'close the regulator' as it leaves the tunnel to coast down the incline, the rod clank is brilliant, as is the chatter from the 'exhaust' as I 'open up' after coasting through the station going 'west' around the reverse curves towards Honiton Incline! Silly really, however it amuses me and I suppose it has reignited my mojo somewhat so progress can resume.

P

Good to hear from you again.......missed your posts :clapping:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see the Junction i alive and well - albeit a bit groggy after a long hibernation!

Currently nursing a torn achilles tendon and 90% strain of the RH Gastocnemius muscle ( 1/3 of the calf) so getting up to the loft is a total non-starter in my case

IMG_2614.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

There we are thinking all is quiet Up the Junction so Phil must be working hard on the layout ready to surprise us all with the finished product. But no you have done bliddy nothing. Get back up there and finish it off.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Glad to see the Junction i alive and well - albeit a bit groggy after a long hibernation!

Currently nursing a torn achilles tendon and 90% strain of the RH Gastocnemius muscle ( 1/3 of the calf) so getting up to the loft is a total non-starter in my case

IMG_2614.jpg

Yo Smiffy mate

Who did you kick? I hope you hurt him more that you have yourself.

Get well soon.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yo Brian. Also lost a lot of enthusiasm for RMW as well. Nothing different really just CBA to deal with certain issues, but I do miss the gang and the banter.

P

We're still here old fruit. Always happy to lend an ear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Smiffy mate

Who did you kick? I hope you hurt him more that you have yourself.

Get well soon.

'nowt so exciting. I initially pulled the calf muscle helping SWMBO dig out the shape of a new border, then on a site visit stood on a flagstone that wasn't secured - it went 90degrees forward, and I felt as tough someone had opened the back of my leg with a rather large hunting knife!

6 weeks of rehab under my belt now, another 4 to go and the sadist, sorry physiotherapist, told me when she gets back  from her hols in 14/7 the hard work will really begin.

currently doing 25 tip  toe lifts x 3 per day, plus a whole bunch of other leg strengthening exercises - sadly the Beer Belly is not responding to any of them!

• Friendly/supportive 11

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

We're still here old fruit. Always happy to lend an ear.

Welcome back, Mr Duck.

i think you’d be surprised how many of us follow your saga. I went back four pages in the index yesterday to see if you’d posted, but was happy to wait till you were ready again. 

My construction project further down the “Withered Arm” has stalled in the hot weather too.

Rich 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

You sure it's not just an excuse for not doing any gardening and an excuse to drink beer in the shade! :rolleyes:

Hope you get better soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good morning chaps & chapesses.  Just dropping in again after being awol & generally out of circulation for quite some time.

Have I missed anything important?  Do I need to read back to catch up on all the burning issues?

We were scheduled to be away in Abergavenny late May / early June  -  Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley etc.  -  but a few days beforehand my leg (which some will remember had been playing me up since mid-March) decided it wanted to try hospital food instead of Welsh cakes & Y Fenni cheese so it turned into a tree trunk, made me feel like it was going to explode & took me off to RD&E, Wonford.  They strapped me down, attacked me with lots of sharp, pointy things, drained an arm of blood & replaced it with an antibiotic cocktail (OK, maybe some of that's exaggerated but it makes the story sound better).

Cutting a long story short, after a few days the microbiology people managed to grow something in a petri dish from one of the samples they'd taken so they were able to target it with a specific antibiotic.  To quote the rather lovely pharmacy nurse "this is the domestos of antibiotics"  -  that's one of those things you don't forget (as, indeed, was the pharmacy nurse!  They do say that every cloud has a silver lining - I still miss her  .  .  .  .   I'm sure she's making someone, somewhere, very happy).

They eventually let me out in time - just! - for my 70th, not that I remember much about it - I slept through most of it.

As for the leg's decision to eat at Wonford rather than Abergavenny  -  well, nowhere near as bad as I had feared.  Definitely not cordon bleu, but reasonably palatable if somewhat sparse.

8 weeks on & the swelling still won't go down (ooo, errr, missus  .  .  .  .) so my leg's clamped in a high-compression bandage in an attempt to squeeze out the remaining fluid.  I had "a session" this morning with the delightful Chloe.  She removed the bandaging, washed, massaged, creamed & generally fondled the offending limb, then re-dressed it.  By all accounts, many a government minister would pay a small fortune for such treatment but I got it all for nothing - isn't the NHS wonderful!

As you can no doubt imagine, over the last 4 months RMWeb, toy trains & life in general have taken something of a back seat.  Apart from anything else, access to the loft was nigh-on impossible so little chance to do anything constructive.  On top of that, I've been in that "limbo" state of being peed off with doing nothing but having no appetite for doing anything.  Don't worry Phil, different causes, but I know exactly how you feel.

Anyway, hopefully things now on the up, life back to its usual (ab)normal self & I can make some small contribution to the world before we all implode under the combined pressures of Boris, Brexit, Trump sanctions and North Korean missiles.

Anyone want anything measuring/photographing at SJ while the weather's OK?

Take care all.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

5 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Good morning chaps & chapesses.  Just dropping in again after being awol & generally out of circulation for quite some time.

Have I missed anything important?  Do I need to read back to catch up on all the burning issues?

We were scheduled to be away in Abergavenny late May / early June  -  Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley etc.  -  but a few days beforehand my leg (which some will remember had been playing me up since mid-March) decided it wanted to try hospital food instead of Welsh cakes & Y Fenni cheese so it turned into a tree trunk, made me feel like it was going to explode & took me off to RD&E, Wonford.  They strapped me down, attacked me with lots of sharp, pointy things, drained an arm of blood & replaced it with an antibiotic cocktail (OK, maybe some of that's exaggerated but it makes the story sound better).

Cutting a long story short, after a few days the microbiology people managed to grow something in a petri dish from one of the samples they'd taken so they were able to target it with a specific antibiotic.  To quote the rather lovely pharmacy nurse "this is the domestos of antibiotics"  -  that's one of those things you don't forget (as, indeed, was the pharmacy nurse!  They do say that every cloud has a silver lining - I still miss her  .  .  .  .   I'm sure she's making someone, somewhere, very happy).

They eventually let me out in time - just! - for my 70th, not that I remember much about it - I slept through most of it.

As for the leg's decision to eat at Wonford rather than Abergavenny  -  well, nowhere near as bad as I had feared.  Definitely not cordon bleu, but reasonably palatable if somewhat sparse.

8 weeks on & the swelling still won't go down (ooo, errr, missus  .  .  .  .) so my leg's clamped in a high-compression bandage in an attempt to squeeze out the remaining fluid.  I had "a session" this morning with the delightful Chloe.  She removed the bandaging, washed, massaged, creamed & generally fondled the offending limb, then re-dressed it.  By all accounts, many a government minister would pay a small fortune for such treatment but I got it all for nothing - isn't the NHS wonderful!

As you can no doubt imagine, over the last 4 months RMWeb, toy trains & life in general have taken something of a back seat.  Apart from anything else, access to the loft was nigh-on impossible so little chance to do anything constructive.  On top of that, I've been in that "limbo" state of being peed off with doing nothing but having no appetite for doing anything.  Don't worry Phil, different causes, but I know exactly how you feel.

Anyway, hopefully things now on the up, life back to its usual (ab)normal self & I can make some small contribution to the world before we all implode under the combined pressures of Boris, Brexit, Trump sanctions and North Korean missiles.

Anyone want anything measuring/photographing at SJ while the weather's OK?

Take care all.

One of the things that characterises increasing age is that  the question 'how are you?' rather than a polite greeting becomes a genuine enquiry and often the start of a lengthy and detailed conversation.

it reminds us all that the madcap youth we all enjoyed sadly takes its toll on ageing joints and muscles, but thank heavens for the NHS.

Hope you get back on both legs soon!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1