Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, robmcg said:

Hornby do in fact produce  lot more than trains with Airfix at least...

I'd put more American prototype Hornby International brand pics up but many in the UK think Hornby is British trains, I guess.

For myself, it all started to go wrong when Hornby Dublo went 2-rail. :) 

Old news I know, Airfix did produce Rolling Stock & Loco's - in fact I have a number of Airfix items of rolling stock in my 'to do' list and there's still a few of them in Hornby's current Range...

Their back catalogue of model kits is huge and much like Hornby did with Railroad, Airfix may have hit a gold mine with their Vintage Classics range.

The Mk.1 Male Tank is a case in point (and it's OO Gauge in scale ;) )

MK1Male_06.jpg.054f9a91d6ad4733b13085de9dc21402.jpg

More of the build on my thread..

16 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yeah I know they do. But this is RM(Railway Modelling)Web lol. 

Model planes, vehicles and boats do end up in Rail Modelling diorama's and I should politely point out the the Flower Class Corvette I'm building IS a commission for a Railway Client (albeit he models in P4) ;) :P 

And if you want Railway Modelling, how's this...

CoalingStage_24.jpg.762f2b417feff632681a21d4c32c9235.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
to add text
  • Like 2

1.I've got a few of the original airfix railway models on my current layout, they were made for my Hornby dublo 3 rail layout, er getting on for 60 years ago...

2. My flower class corvette is 00 scale and made to be displayed in a dock area on the layout. (Just got to do some more of the dock...)

3. There is a superb exhibition layout called "overlord" (I think, away from references at moment) which has many ship and military models and a large dock railway, at the time of the preparations for d day. It includes a corvette!

4. Model Rail had a whole issue devoted to model aircraft and airfields to use as part of layouts. If  dibber25 thinks that's railway modelling then it's good enough for me! :-)

Just sayin' ....

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

I just bought a mint EDP12 Duchess of Montrose set for exactly £100  , and three extra carriages for £35...  

46232_1030486770a.jpg.74d6b95f029c30b69deb604cfdaf1847.jpg

Sometimes you just have to be a bit silly. Engine serviced and runs well. 

Totally because we had such and engine, plus a few others, and much of my childhood was with such trains, on the floor..  marvellous!

I have no idea of the value, other than seeing how Wrenn went through the roof. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

1.I've got a few of the original airfix railway models on my current layout, they were made for my Hornby dublo 3 rail layout, er getting on for 60 years ago...

2. My flower class corvette is 00 scale and made to be displayed in a dock area on the layout. (Just got to do some more of the dock...)

3. There is a superb exhibition layout called "overlord" (I think, away from references at moment) which has many ship and military models and a large dock railway, at the time of the preparations for d day. It includes a corvette!

4. Model Rail had a whole issue devoted to model aircraft and airfields to use as part of layouts. If  dibber25 thinks that's railway modelling then it's good enough for me! :-)

Just sayin' ....

I notice in perusing railway books on various sites that military railway history for WW2 is quite big,  6,800+ 2-10-0s for the Axis railways,   came across it in researching this.. 1946 Chapelon-designed SNCF 242.A.1   singularly the greatest European express steam locomotive ever in the opinion of many.

And nobody has ever made an H0 model of it!

241A1_chapelon_portrait2_5a_r1500.jpg.bed30d18dd4474feb33c613d714ccf65.jpg

5,000hp at cylinders, 148 tons, 3-cylinder, compound.  Withdrawn an cut up during electrification of SNCF.  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, robmcg said:

1946 Chapelon-designed SNCF 242.A.1   singularly the greatest European express steam locomotive ever in the opinion of many.

And nobody has ever made an H0 model of it!

Metropolitan (see catalogue picture) and Lemaco made models of this locomotive 

P1010395.JPG.cb0c4ad59b50a31af3a048ae58fcfbdc.JPG

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2019 at 21:40, toboldlygo said:

Old news I know, Airfix did produce Rolling Stock & Loco's - in fact I have a number of Airfix items of rolling stock in my 'to do' list and there's still a few of them in Hornby's current Range...

Their back catalogue of model kits is huge and much like Hornby did with Railroad, Airfix may have hit a gold mine with their Vintage Classics range.

The Mk.1 Male Tank is a case in point (and it's OO Gauge in scale ;) )

MK1Male_06.jpg.054f9a91d6ad4733b13085de9dc21402.jpg

More of the build on my thread..

Model planes, vehicles and boats do end up in Rail Modelling diorama's and I should politely point out the the Flower Class Corvette I'm building IS a commission for a Railway Client (albeit he models in P4) ;) :P 

And if you want Railway Modelling, how's this...

CoalingStage_24.jpg.762f2b417feff632681a21d4c32c9235.jpg

And one of the names for a Mk1 Tank was a Landship....

They're so appropriate for WW1 railway modelling as their radius of independent action was so small and slow that they were delivered as near to the jumping off point as possible by... rail!

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, sncf231e said:

Metropolitan (see catalogue picture) and Lemaco made models of this locomotive 

P1010395.JPG.cb0c4ad59b50a31af3a048ae58fcfbdc.JPG

Regards

Fred

Thanks Fred, I stand corrected.

Please send money....   :)

edit;  I did this picture yesterday...  what a superb engine! 

Almost as good as a Duchess!  

242A1_portrait20_4ab_r1500.jpg.709c775d38c656bba626097e0d9373e3.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well I've just bought half a dozen Airfix tank kits.

Eventually some of them are going to be used as a load for Warwells, so is that railway modelling? ;)

Jason

I think you’re on track. :jester:

• Funny 2

Super detailed Duchess.  Looks great and runs like a champ.  The front steps are a bit fragile though, and the bogie can break them off if the loco is posted without carefully packing something soft around the bogie.

In value for money terms, it's hard to beat the Jinty. The crimson lake colour is ridiculous, though,so I sprayed mine black and put straw (non-shadow) LMS decals on it.  It looks a lot better.

• Like 1

Behave, or I'll post photos of my three-rail "50s" Silver King and 2-6-4 suburban sets, and the two-rail R1 Suburban set...

Muahahahahaaaaaaaaa....

I WARNED YOU!

HD_2007.jpg.a5d0b07a44f27f52c235560a8c710f9b.jpg

:jester:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

Magic days the 1940s and 50s...    mind you we had it tough!

I observe in my reading that a Hornby Dublo Duchess or A4 Hornby Dublo set cost over £9 in the early 50s.  I'm trying to work out how that related to weekly wages and suspect it was a bit more than current prices.

hornby-1952_catalogue_Image1.jpg.4d34c1540aa3b65d2385aba45728ffac.jpg

from 1952 Meccano catalogue.

One of my first cars back in 1969 was a 1952 Hillman Minx. The seller cooed as I drove it away, 'she rides like a coach', and within 5 miles the clatter of crankshaft bearings was deafening...   one lives and learns.... :)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hroth said:

Behave, or I'll post photos of my three-rail "50s" Silver King and 2-6-4 suburban sets, and the two-rail R1 Suburban set...

Muahahahahaaaaaaaaa....

I WARNED YOU!

HD_2007.jpg.a5d0b07a44f27f52c235560a8c710f9b.jpg

:jester:

I'll match you and raise you one groat...

atholl_set_s-l1600a.jpg.bc5a71149feccab42e69bc7804fb55fd.jpg

ha!!!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'll match you and raise you one groat...

atholl_set_s-l1600a.jpg.bc5a71149feccab42e69bc7804fb55fd.jpg

ha!!!!

Nice set, I like the prominent instructions to oil all round and  RTFM!

(and at least tinplate doesn't warp, unlike that stuff they used at Rovex around the same time...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

P1090898_edited-1.jpg.181a2fb0386a325086200fcdc53c7f43.jpg

Heavy metal. My first ever 00 gauge loco.  And still runs (although very occasionally!) on a length of 3r track.

P1090900_edited-1.jpg.5eeaa2f50a0c853658ca85880a307b33.jpg

1981?  I kept this as it was a present. Been in the "to sell" box several times but I've hung on to it.  I found recently that with a lot of TLC it can run ok, the tender drive gets better with a lot of running in.  Hornby got the casing "hump" over the firebox better and the loco looks A4-ish when looked at sideways on (the works plate and the "126 mph" plaque are good touches)  but the smoke box looks wrong where it joins the footplate at the front with that horrible flare (arguably the old H-D one is actually better there).

One more to go.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

Here we are, Hornby's best ever model [loco]  imho. :)P1090911.jpg.9bdbbf564cf7f095c99a6c9385c1dde7.jpg

Why?  Well A4s are a complicated shape and difficult  to reproduce convincingly  in 4mm scale.  I think Hornby got this absolutely correct.  The front of the loco in particular looks more convincing than previous commercial models (Lilliput, now used by Bachmann for their A4, Wills kit etc.). 

So my argument is that since Hornby got the basic shape of a loco that is difficult to model correctly, and it's a model of a very iconic loco, and it's well detailed, this counts as the tops.

ps I'm not saying Castles don't look good, it's just that Hornby did a difficult subject well and deserve extra points for that!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Here we are, Hornby's best ever model [loco]  imho. :)P1090911.jpg.9bdbbf564cf7f095c99a6c9385c1dde7.jpg

Why?  Well A4s are a complicated shape and difficult  to reproduce convincingly  in 4mm scale.  I think Hornby got this absolutely correct.  The front of the loco in particular looks more convincing than previous commercial models (Lilliput, now used by Bachmann for their A4, Wills kit etc.). 

So my argument is that since Hornby got the basic shape of a loco that is difficult to model correctly, and it's a model of a very iconic loco, and it's well detailed, this counts as the tops.

ps I'm not saying Castles don't look good, it's just that Hornby did a difficult subject well and deserve extra points for that!

A very good point Railroad Bill.

I have been pondering buying an early Hornby Dublo A4 in post-war blue, Sir Nigel...LNER No.7  but they are all either play-worn or very expensive.

Good timing to buy a Dublo A4 set around 1958  the earlier ones had those printed windows, not sure when they changed. Mind you the printed carriage sides have a certain charm...  but at £9 or more for a set in 1952 they weren't cheap. What was an average weekly income then?

It's common for these older models to still run well even after 60-70 years now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I've done a few A4's, here's the last one I did, just over a year ago :O

60028_lhfan.jpg.1b8708f642dcd08a28287e90dcffef61.jpg

In the mean time, if Hornby had not gone down the 'Design Clever' route with the Star - it could've looked like this..

4053_lh.jpg.6cc4f72c51285eefeb8d96a7e636466b.jpg

4053_rhfan.jpg.0e069f9f45ab5e564a116f29fd90da3a.jpg

I still hold out hope they will retool this and the heavy tanks to full detail versions. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1