Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Brian Indge

Just read today's MREMag (17/3/2014) where it has been announced that Simon is leaving Hornby at the end of the month. I bet the poor guy has had enough of all the 'flack' he has received regarding the poor supplies from the Company.

I for one will be sorry to see him go, he has always been very pleasant to speak with at Model Railway Shows.

Just read today's MREMag (17/3/2014) where it has been announced that Simon is leaving Hornby at the end of the month. I bet the poor guy has had enough of all the 'flack' he has received regarding the poor supplies from the Company.

I for one will be sorry to see him go, he has always been very pleasant to speak with at Model Railway Shows.

Hi,

Shocking news this.

Can't see that the relationship between us as modellers and customers and Hornby will ever be so cordial without Simon.

A lovely man to chat with who I guess has had to suffer a lot of grief he didn't deserve though no fault of his own.

Whatever the future holds for Simon I for one wish him all the very best.

You will be missed Simon, the part you have played within our hobby has been outstanding.

Regards

That is a shock.

I met him a few times and always found him to be a polite and well mannered  and well presented gent who listens and talks to you as a person.

Goodness knows he must have had to have the patience of a saint. He certainly tried to keep as many people happy as he could when he could - but it is impossible to keep everyone happy all of the time - and us modellers are a demanding lot (though usually I like to think in a fair way).

Big thanks to him, I think he has done a very difficult job very well for a long time. An excellent ambassador for Hornby and I am sure many will join me in wishing him well in whatever he chooses to do next! Thank you Simon.

We will wait to see who his replacement is and hope for a seamless transition.

Sad news, I wish all the best to Simon.

I suspect that he has been very much behind most of the very good things Hornby has done in UK 00 modelling in the last 14 years or so, including the fantastic RTR models we have enjoyed, and still can enjoy.

Rob

typo edit

Sad to hear - Simon is a lovely guy to chat to, really enjoy spending a couple of minutes catching up with him each year at Ally Pally.

A genuine guy who has done a lot to support clubs and societies where he can and Hornby will be diminished without him I think - I wish him all the best for the future.

• RMweb Premium

Deja vu?

Dave Jones now Simon Kohler.  

Pure coincidence or conspiracy theory?

I take no side.  I met SK once and whilst I found him approachable his attitude in regards to then-future products was to my mind unhelpful consisting as it did of a silent shrug of his shoulders.  It might have been a bad day or the 20th identical enquiry he had fielded.  But it didn't endear me to the man.

Let's wait and see how the dust settles.  It may be that Hornby is being shaken form the top down in order to survive improve the performance across the whole business.  

Of course I wish him the best in the future and likewise for the somewhat tarnished Hornby brand he has tried gamely to uphold for some time against increasing flak.  I too shall be interested to see if he resurfaces elsewhere in the hobby or simply and quietly moves to pastures new.

I'm very sad to hear this and wish Simon well, I met him at Barrow Hill a few years ago and found him pleasant and approachable. I wonder what the future holds for Hornby? Never a dull moment in the model railway world.

I haven't bought a new Hornby loco for ages but consider myself lucky to have some of their better models a M7, a Q1 and a L1 to name a few. I hope we haven't seen the end of their super detailed range and a complete descent into the trainset market.

As SK has been with Hornby for some 35 years and shown both his dedication to the company and his professionalism in general, we can probably take it as a 'given' that his hand-over to his successor will be equally thorough and professional.  Before the conspiracy theorists generate too many buckets of froth, it is quite possible that Mr. Kohler has actually reached an age at which he can retire. Whatever, I thank him for what he has achieved with the best of the best from Hornby, and wish him a long, peaceful and happy future!

Richard.

It's surely sad to hear that Simon is leaving Hornby, though I've never had a chance to see him I've chatted with a lot via email and through Hornby's facebook page. A gem of a person. Very polite and I must say one of the best people I've ever come across in the management world.

I sincerely wish him all the very best for his future....! Thanks to him and Hornby for giving me some excellent models and service for over 15 years!

Jeffery.

it is quite possible that Mr. Kohler has actually reached an age at which he can retire. 

Simon's not quite of retirement age; surprisingly I don't think he looks his age after many years of questions both sensible and daft from all quarters. He's often had a punishing schedule of shows often manning the stand on his own all weekend maintaining remarkable friendliness and dignity and supporting the company (sometimes through adversity). He's been the man who will face up to a 2-day long queue to bend his ear at Warley as much as he's been the man who gives a talk at a village hall in an evening 200 miles from home. Simon would often respond via email or phone at ridiculous hours; even this weekend he's been helping out with information and he was very much the public face of the company who many have come to know and he's never shied away from directly listening to and communicating with customers.

It's thanks to Simon that RMweb has been able, for several years, to bring you the full information on the annual announcements bang on time always putting himself out to make sure I'd got what we needed and latterly offering some great access opportunities. He also masterminded the Hornby sponsorship of the Great Gathering which was one of the most visual bits of PR the company and the hobby have had in recent years; it's fair to say that he's felt the frustration of slipped delivery dates and the whole supply chain situation more than anyone. I know he's bitten his tongue on occasions but he's always been as helpful and cordial as he could be in such situations.

For me he's been one of the hardest working guys in the hobby and I wish him well from this point forward.

I've known Simon a number of years and this 'cull', for that's what it is ( there are apparently quite a few jobs going at Hornby along with Simon's) has been knowledge for some for a while now.

He is a terrific man, and the perfect most affable public face of Hornby.

Unfortunately, sometimes the bean counters, iron men, etc cannot see the worth of their employees and make decisions like this that will come back and bite them hard. This is not a clever business decision, after all, only the foolish really deficate where they eat.

To Simon I say, thank you. For the chats, the help, the advice and the laughs over numerous dinners.

Whatever you do now, please remember that you were respected by us all.

I just wish i was more established as Simon would find a home, without a second thought, at DJModels!

Cheers

Dave

Simon's not quite of retirement age; surprisingly I don't think he looks his age after many years of questions both sensible and daft from all quarters. He's often had a punishing schedule of shows often manning the stand on his own all weekend maintaining remarkable friendliness and dignity and supporting the company (sometimes through adversity). He's been the man who will face up to a 2-day long queue to bend his ear at Warley as much as he's been the man who gives a talk at a village hall in an evening 200 miles from home. Simon would often respond via email or phone at ridiculous hours; even this weekend he's been helping out with information and he was very much the public face of the company who many have come to know and he's never shied away from directly listening to and communicating with customers.

It's thanks to Simon that RMweb has been able, for several years, to bring you the full information on the annual announcements bang on time always putting himself out to make sure I'd got what we needed and latterly offering some great access opportunities. He also masterminded the Hornby sponsorship of the Great Gathering which was one of the most visual bits of PR the company and the hobby have had in recent years; it's fair to say that he's felt the frustration of slipped delivery dates and the whole supply chain situation more than anyone. I know he's bitten his tongue on occasions but he's always been as helpful and cordial as he could be in such situations.

For me he's been one of the hardest working guys in the hobby and I wish him well from this point forward.

I've known Simon a number of years and this 'cull', for that's what it is ( there are apparently quite a few jobs going at Hornby along with Simon's) has been knowledge for some for a while now.

He is a terrific man, and the perfect most affable public face of Hornby.

Unfortunately, sometimes the bean counters, iron men, etc cannot see the worth of their employees and make decisions like this that will come back and bite them hard. This is not a clever business decision, after all, only the foolish really deficate where they eat.

To Simon I say, thank you. For the chats, the help, the advice and the laughs over numerous dinners.

Whatever you do now, please remember that you were respected by us all.

I just wish i was more established as Simon would find a home, without a second thought, at DJModels!

Cheers

Dave

I think two of the most well worded posts here.....! That was really lovely Andy and to Dave, well I hope he gets to join DJM ;)

• RMweb Premium

Who knows Dave? after a well earned sabbatical he may just take you up on your offer.

If Simon is part of a cull and his role is not to be replaced one can only view Hornby sinking deeper into the mire, without a charismatic marketing manager like Simon I can only see even gloomier times for Hornby.

Simon is the one person who worked tirelessly for the hobby and us the buying public, I am sure there were times when he wanted to agree wholeheartedly with criticisms of Hornby models but had to tow the party line.

Sometimes I feel that it would be a relief if Hornby railways were put out of their misery, this announcement has done nothing to remove that niggling feeling I have that we will be witnessing the slow death throes of Hornby Railways  in the not too distant future, doom and gloom? maybe but there are now plenty who would take up the slack. I know one man does not make the company but his knowledge, ability to engage with the public even in adversity is a huge loss.

This is very sad news and if "cull" is correct then not too surprising given a new CEO. The CEO may want to bring in his own marketing people and others. Also, no doubt there is a desire to cut costs to restore profitability.

Personally my heart goes out to Simon and his family (and anyone else affected at Hornby) and wish them all well.

Paddy

Very sorry to hear this news, and wish Simon well for the futue.

He has been a great communicator and public face of the company. I second the comments above about responding at all hours, and being polite and curtious even when facd with less than 'positive' incoming messages! That takes incredable professionalism.

I can only think this is a massive error on Hornby's part, and that the company (already facing challenges), as well as the modelling community will be much poorer without him in post.

G-BOAF

Mr. Kohler was the public face of Hornby and as far as I am aware he was paid to take the rough with the smooth.  But his employer has lost its way on a number of fronts and who could explain that every day of the week over an extended period without feeling the strain. I wish Mr.Kohler well. 

I was surprised to Read about SK's departure from Hornby at the end of this month. I have had the pleasure of meeting him twice, both at exhibitions, where he was the public face of Hornby. He was very gracious, and patient, and always appeared to be interested even if he had heard it all for the umpteenth time. In fact he probably had, but he never left me feeling small, or silly, for asking whether Hornby would contemplate an XYZ.  I would like to join the others on this forum who wish him well in the future what ever he chooses to do, he has done a great job, and he will be missed.

Good luck and best wishes Mr Kohler, although it would be lovely to see you resurface else where in the world of Model Railways if you choose to do so.

Linners

• RMweb Gold

A great shame for the hobby - he has defended his corner very ably as the public face of Hornby and it is a shame that in his final couple of years with the company he has been placed in such an awkward position by the failings of other parts of the whole.

He is presumably a casualty of the much heralded 'managerial reorganisation' which, so I've heard, is reducing a substantial number of posts at senior levels at Margate - one could almost wish that he might now write his memoirs!  I hope he lands a suitable job within the industry - if that is what he wants, or elsewhere if he still needs to work

What is more worrying is what impact this will have on the future of the model railway part of Hornby Group, especially its place in the British market.  I remember SK being quoted some years ago that one of his proudest achievements at Hornby had been the move to the more realistic, highly detailed, models which came with the move of production to China.  It is perhaps regrettable that his departure comes at a time when the company's pendulum is swinging in the opposite direction and in him they have lost someone with years of customer contact experience who could probably read the market better than many others in the company.

We can but hope that Hornby Railways (and Hornby Group)  pull themselves out of the doldrums into which Frank Martin propelled them and that they look to return to where they once were; they have a golden opportunity with this year's new loco announcements and their future might well be decided if they make it or muff it with those models.  At the same time they really must put their money where their mouth seemed to be a while back and take care of their retailers - the nonsense of failing to clarify the new Ts & Cs drags on with many retailers still seeking written clarification while some are allegedly being brow-beaten by their reps.  Time for Hornby to stop contemplating its navel of internal change and get on with the job of looking outwards to its retailers and markets - before it loses both.

Edit to correct typos

Archived