Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

David. a big thank you for the shots of the LTS. I often tell my children that "Daddy used to go to school by train (L-o-S to Thorpe Bay) and a bus or bicycle at each end of the train journey", but thanks to your photos I can now show them. I think, depending on the time of day your photos were taken, I'd have actually been on one or two of those trains. At L-o-S we had to jump off the train and sprint up the stairs to get the connecting bus; sometimes the train had actually stopped! A distinct safety advantage of getting rid of the old slam-door stock!  

Highlight of the journey each day was seeing a Class 37 or 31 running round the parcels train at Southend East each afternoon. We didn't get much apart from EMUs on the LTS, so any diesel action was a welcome sight. Thanks to RMweb I subsequently found out that the parcels train was delivering mail to a credit card firm (Access) based in Southend. Like many students I spent many a happy summer doing casual work opening those credit card statements and cheques, or mailing out credit card bills to customers. I've since repented. ;)    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I also like the photo' J6781. A fabulous shot. I also like the one van Speedlink service in photo' C6578, at Heaton, just right for those of us a bit short of space for a layout!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Judging by the stock (a single VCA/ZRA), I'd say the 'Speedlink' trip was spares to Heaton TMD. The photo's taken from the site of the former Heaton station; in 1991, I looked after a house on Heaton Grove, the terrace of houses to the right. It was whilst the line was being fettled up for electrification; one night, after some track in the cutting was relaid, someone thought it would be a good idea to use the Dynamic Track Stabiliser. It might have been good for the track, but not for the neighbouring houses, where things like plaster coving and ceiling roses fell off..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good photo's of Rotherham Masborough tonight. C3489 is a really good shot of Rotherham Masborough Station South Junction, a good complex of trackwork and signalling. All of that is now  rationalised with not very much left!

All the best,

Market65.

Ye gods, they take me back! I was a volunteer at Bridgnorth in 1970 (As I am yet again!).

C309: 5110 was a new arrival then and I remember changing the exhaust injector with a direct replacement. I imagine she has two live steam ones now. The Lady A(rmadale) - she never got her full title - looks well; I fired her many a time. In fact, apart from 813 and the Peckett, and W22, of course, I had firing turns on all these engines.

C310: I'd say the engine at the back is Jim McNally's Peckett 0-4-0ST

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Severn Valley Railway in 1970 - how things have changed! The photo's of the Settle and Carlisle line are really great, I like J1191 of class 45 D12 at Stainforth on the up Thames Clyde Express, December, 1967.  I see that the leading four coaches are (Mk1's) BSK,CK,BSK, CK. I just find myself wondering if this was something to do with extra traffic in the run up to Christmas? I also like that last photo', J632, of an 8F on a down goods at Ribblehead, September, 1966 - a very evocative photo'.

All the best,

Market65.

Yes thanks for the photos. I also liked the S&C shots.

As an occasional traveller between Leeds and Glasgow I often wonder if there is any chance of the reintroduction of a decent rail service from Leeds to Glasgow that doesn't go via the ECML - perhaps via Lancaster/Carnforth or Carlisle. Could any of the RM experts give their thoughts on that? 

• RMweb Premium

That pub at Ribblehead is excellent and quite posh now. The building with 'INN' painted on it has been converted to 'apartments'. You probably know that though.

I'm fairly sure the gates on the road have gone and the road upgraded too.

Great shots. Your dad was an artist with the camera. You too.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Just managed to work my way through this thread, some excellent photos and the older photos really do help when modelling the late 60's early 70's.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Terrific photo's of Edinburgh Waverley and Princes Street Gardens tonight. 37033 in the last photo' has a good flurry of exhaust as it gets it's train away from Waverley.

All the best,

Market65.

Love the photos of the s&c, just goes to prove that even steam loco modellers need flat bottomed track. The photo of the peak has flat bottomed on the nearest line only. All the other photos from that age you posted show flat bottomed track as well.

37033 looks in a mess.....

oh those heady, blue diesel days at Waverley 

Phil

It was the shadows cast by the trees rather than patches of grime on the loco side. Thanks Dave you saved me the job of trying to date my view:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5938930863/in/set-72157627198783806/

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

Well, I was going to try to be the 100,000th viewer, but a rush over the weekend beat me to it!

Just to say how much I enjoy my daily check on this topic, and to thank you for posting such a good quality and diverse record of railway history.

An insiration to all to go and record today's railway scene, because it soon changes, and the Everday becomes Yesterday