Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Good to see reminders of just how dreary but nonetheless interesting the railway was in those days, seems like an eternity ago now.

Could the two 47s be the same loco on successive days? Hard to say if its just the light but the roof looks as though it could be silver grey.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos of Radcliffe on Trent today. Those two class 20's in the first photo look quite worn and rusty - a good weathering project! Nice to see the class 114 DMU's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see reminders of just how dreary but nonetheless interesting the railway was in those days, seems like an eternity ago now.

Could the two 47s be the same loco on successive days? Hard to say if its just the light but the roof looks as though it could be silver grey.

The Parkeston Quay to Manchester and return train usually had a Stratford Class 47, often with a silver grey roof at that time.  I think it came off at Sheffield as the train reversed there.

Sometimes the same loco was used several days running, but not always.

I've just had a look at my slide catalogue, as far as I can tell (at that time I only noted month and year) there would have been a few days between the photos as I visited a few other places in between.

David

Guest B Exam

The 47 is one of Stratfords finest on 1M87 HPQ-Manchester - 47114 (one of the original class 48s). Its still got its BRUSH worksplates on the cabsides.

The second photo of the 47s looks like 47108 when you enlarge the photo.

Spent many a hour on that bridge at Radcliffe! 2 hours spent there last Tuesday waiting for 60056 on the Rectory-Lindsey empty tanks in glorious full sun and 30°+ temperatures only for it to be retimed 3 hours later due to no driver!

I'll have a look on the big computer tomorrow to identify the rear 20 with 20166 and try and put a firm date on it. I have a entire list of just about every time 20s went to Skegness from about 1960 to the present day. Its a few pages worth!

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the stop signal was Skipton North's Starter with Skipton South's distant underneath. Also further down the post is a stop signal arm facing the other way. Probably one of North's home signals... If you look at the far end of the platform you can just make out Skipton south's home signal on a large bracket structure...

HTH

JF

A mate of mine worked at Skipton North as a relief. We had a few unofficial visits there many years ago. It seemed to have a large collection of "interesting" magazines in one of the lockers, but I was led to believe that many signal boxes had similar collections................... :O

Quite a large box and lots of shunting moves in and out of the stabling sidings, as well as the stone traffic to/from the Rylstone quarry (ex-Ilkley) branch. Skipton North is on my "maybe I'll model that one day" list.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

The 47 is one of Stratfords finest on 1M87 HPQ-Manchester - 47114 (one of the original class 48s). Its still got its BRUSH worksplates on the cabsides.

The second photo of the 47s looks like 47108 when you enlarge the photo.

Spent many a hour on that bridge at Radcliffe! 2 hours spent there last Tuesday waiting for 60056 on the Rectory-Lindsey empty tanks in glorious full sun and 30°+ temperatures only for it to be retimed 3 hours later due to no driver!

I'll have a look on the big computer tomorrow to identify the rear 20 with 20166 and try and put a firm date on it. I have a entire list of just about every time 20s went to Skegness from about 1960 to the present day. Its a few pages worth!

Right, had a good look on the big computer and the only times 20166 went to Skegness in July 1977 was on Saturday 30th and Sunday the 31st. Both times paired with 20163.

Saturday 30th:

ECS to Skeness to form a 10.55 relief back to Nottingham.

Also this day 20022+20065 Worked Sheffield-Skegness-Sheffield via Nottingham, 20193+20198 The Leicester-Skegness and 20047+20068 The Derby-Skegness. Chopper heaven!

Sunday 31st 20166+20163 worked:

1E85 08.40 Leicester-Skegness, 1M85 Skegness-Leicester

Almost 39 years to the day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right, had a good look on the big computer and the only times 20166 went to Skegness in July 1977 was on Saturday 30th and Sunday the 31st. Both times paired with 20163.

Saturday 30th:

ECS to Skeness to form a 10.55 relief back to Nottingham.

Also this day 20022+20065 Worked Sheffield-Skegness-Sheffield via Nottingham, 20193+20198 The Leicester-Skegness and 20047+20068 The Derby-Skegness. Chopper heaven!

Sunday 31st 20166+20163 worked:

1E85 08.40 Leicester-Skegness, 1M85 Skegness-Leicester

Almost 39 years to the day!

Thanks very much for the information, I've updated the caption and also my photo catalogue.

I still have quite a lot more of the Skegness Class 20 working photos to post in the coming months (years?) as and when I get them sorted out and corrected, so I hope you'll have information when I haven't got the second loco's number.

At one time Dad lived a few minutes walk from the station at Radcliffe on Trent, so he took a lot of photos there, just as I did when visiting family.

David

Guest B Exam

Thanks very much for the information, I've updated the caption and also my photo catalogue.

I still have quite a lot more of the Skegness Class 20 working photos to post in the coming months (years?) as and when I get them sorted out and corrected, so I hope you'll have information when I haven't got the second loco's number.

At one time Dad lived a few minutes walk from the station at Radcliffe on Trent, so he took a lot of photos there, just as I did when visiting family.

David

Always happy to help wherever I can.

Just keep supplying the fantastic photos David so I taking my daily trip down memory lane!

A mate of mine worked at Skipton North as a relief. We had a few unofficial visits there many years ago. It seemed to have a large collection of "interesting" magazines in one of the lockers, but I was led to believe that many signal boxes had similar collections................... :O

Oh indeed yes!

You do mean model railway magazines, don't you? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Re Class 20s to Skeggy, would the earliest ones have been from Darnall/Tinsley on workings from the Sheffield area?

I don't know, perhaps someone else does but I'd have thought possibly Toton allocated ones for the Derby and Nottingham trains.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of Newcastle and Heaton today. Again, they are all very nostalgic.

The last photo of 37408 makes for a lovely view of that engine, with good lighting effects.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Wow. This could be manna from heaven for me if you have class 20 (or EE Type 1s as they were then ) workings to Skegness in the 1960s, as the Midlands services passed my Dad's garden and I lost my notes; I do have a few underlined in my Locoshed Book, but with no clue as to where I saw them.

My memories suggest they were not too frequent until the early 70s, most trains having 31s or 25s on the front, with an occasional 37.

If you could find the time ( there's no rush ) to list the 1960s passenger workings, that would be marvellous. I know pairs of 20s appeared on 7E71 the 1745 Colwick to Boston Goods and 7M82 return, but that is goods and is another subject entirely.

Guest B Exam

Off topic, but the earliest recorded 20 to Skegness is believed to be D8058 solo on a Sheffield train sometime in 1960.

Anyway, thats for another thread, back to discussing Dave's photos!

I have often wondered why 20's were used on these workings, Could any of the kind souls on here enlighten me?

Thanks,

John.

As I understood it, they were spare from coal traffic in the summer and at weekends, which is when the extra Skegness trains ran. Plus it's not a high-speed route, so max speed wasn't a problem.

As well as the core Nottingham-Skegness run, they also started back from Leicester/Derby, at least in the early 80s. In the high summer, I think at least the Leicester one ran Mon-Thu and Sat.

• Like 1

Guest B Exam

As I understood it, they were spare from coal traffic in the summer and at weekends, which is when the extra Skegness trains ran. Plus it's not a high-speed route, so max speed wasn't a problem.

As well as the core Nottingham-Skegness run, they also started back from Leicester/Derby, at least in the early 80s. In the high summer, I think at least the Leicester one ran Mon-Thu and Sat.

The Leicester and Derby trains ran Saturday-Thursday with a day off on Friday when the stock was used on relief trains.

The Derby train started back at Burton Upon Trent Tues-Thurs which needed a run-round at Derby.

On a Saturday the return trains from Skegness departed at Lunchtime to cater for the weekly holiday makers change-over. The other days it was usually after 18.00 to cater for the day trippers.