Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

C2621 also shows the Soviet cruise ship 'Mikhail Lermontov'

Ah, the Soviet cruise ships. We sometimes had a "treat" of a day out from Medway, up to Gravesend and over to Tilbury on the ferry, and we were there once when a cruise ship was in - Essex wide boy market traders had set up in Tilbury Riverside station, selling luxury items like jeans and music cassettes. Were the Soviet crew allowed ashore, or were there enterprising passengers doing a roaring trade??

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Marston Green 86096 1T17 down ecs from a motor show special Oct 78 C4195

For info this one is actually 86036. Interesting that a cab window headcode is in use, not the built-in one which I suppose would have had the winding handles removed.

• RMweb Gold

Marston Green 86096 1T17 down ecs from a motor show special Oct 78 C4195

For info this one is actually 86036. Interesting that a cab window headcode is in use, not the built-in one which I suppose would have had the winding handles removed.

Many thanks for that.

I've had a look at my notes and must have written down the wrong number on the day - which I find is easily donn when taking a photo and trying to read the number at the same time.

David

A bit later than usual today as I've been to a friends retirement afternoon tea (with a free bar) this afternoon.

I am in awe of your powers of willpower David.

If I had been to a retirement bash with a free bar - I would probably be blotto by now, and incapable of any form of coherence; let alone posting photos on this forum. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

I am in awe of your powers of willpower David.

If I had been to a retirement bash with a free bar - I would probably be blotto by now, and incapable of any form of coherence; let alone posting photos on this forum. 

Is it enough to say that I was doing the driving today?

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos from Nottinghamshire today. In J1606, the rear unit is a Cravens power trailer twin unit, with the DMBS leading - you can just nicely make out the exhaust pipes coming up through the roof of the guards van.

The last photo is so atmospheric, and I feel absolutely sure it would make a great oil painting. I just wish we could go back to those days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J1693.

As Nunnery curve didn't open until 1965/66, I think it's destination is Sheffield Victoria.

Mike.

I'd forgotten that, thanks very much.  Except I mistyped the photo date - it is 1969 so it was Sheffield Midland after all.

David

Edited to correct a date.

Edited by DaveF

Kimberley station building is still there, the trackbed is a car park. Further along is a 'nature trail' including (or certainly did some years ago) a miniature buffer stop with a plaque pointing out that in past years a large number of trains passed there every 24 hours (it does say how many but I can't rermember!).

There was a farce over the footbridge which was dismantled to be refurbished and replaced over the car park but 'by mistake' some or all of it got cut up for scrap :nono: . The former goods yard occupied at the time of the picture by a timber merchant is now under housing.

Worksop East signal box is still there, albeit unused for many years, the land opposite being the site of an aborted Tesco store.

Another great set of pictures. The Bus in J1605 looks so like a modern New Routmaster(Boris Bus) although of course can't be. Anyone have any ideas what it is as the styling looks different to the usual buses of the time. 

It is actually a Leyland Atlantean with Alexander body owned by East Midland

see https://www.flickr.com/photos/manofyorkshire/14800186322/in/gallery-60176944@N02-72157646912415846/

I don't think they had Fleetlines, at least not with those bodies

A C registration would be 1 January 1965 – 31 December 1965, so the date given for the photo (J1605) may be a couple of years out

Edited by Echo

• RMweb Gold

Another great set of pictures. The Bus in J1605 looks so like a modern New Routmaster(Boris Bus) although of course can't be. Anyone have any ideas what it is as the styling looks different to the usual buses of the time. 

After a bit of research I found out it is Daimler Fleetline with a Alexander body.

Similar preserved one.

Western_Scottish_SBG_preserved_bus_Leyland_Fleetline_Alexander_AD_Type_in_Paisley,_Renfrewshire_22_September_2006.jpg

It is actually a Leyland Atlantean with Alexander body owned by East Midland

see https://www.flickr.com/photos/manofyorkshire/14800186322/in/gallery-60176944@N02-72157646912415846/

I don't think they had Fleetlines, at least not with those bodies

A C registration would be 1 January 1965 – 31 December 1965, so the date given for the photo (J1605) may be a couple of years out

It's red face and grovelling apology time.

When I was adding the dates to the captions I got the year completely wrong - and I should have known because the trailing dmu (the Class 105) in J1606 has full yellow ends and appears to be painted blue.  So it is actually April 69 not 63.

Of course I could just blame the year display on my time machine...

David

• RMweb Premium

HI David

J1605 has a photo of DE330963, the Worksop plough. Thank you for the photo, I had DE330963 listed as an LNER Group standard tender. The photo of the Worksop plough I am thinking of is a Group standard with the centre section of the coal plates removed, looks most odd, blow if I can find the photo.  I have found another picture of DE330963

Second bit of confusion, the photo I found of DE330693 states it was converted in 1966, your dad's photo is from 1963. :scratchhead:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

HI David

J1605 has a photo of DE330963, the Worksop plough. Thank you for the photo, I had DE330963 listed as an LNER Group standard tender. The photo of the Worksop plough I am thinking of is a Group standard with the centre section of the coal plates removed, looks most odd, blow if I can find the photo.  I have found another picture of DE330963

Second bit of confusion, the photo I found of DE330693 states it was converted in 1966, your dad's photo is from 1963. :scratchhead:

As mentioned in the post I made just as you were writing yours the date should be 1969, my mistake.

By the way I can't get to the photo you gave the link to.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium

That’s great photo of Stockwith Basin...................

Unfortunately I can remember the winter of 1963 rather well - walked to school every day, though, unlike pupils nowadays.

Best, Pete.

In short trousers and the snow came over the top of me wellies. :O