Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Rode on the Southend Pier trains many many times good to ride on and a step up from the original toastracks at least you did not wet on the new stock ,interesting to see the old RNLI station the new ones are amazing and worth a visit.Sadly no trains running at the moment due to concerns over damage to girders on pier but the council have said they will run again.

If it is a parcels service I wonder if it's the return empty newspaper vans from the previous night?

I remember using that service to get home from a free Hyde Park gig around 1969-70, either Canned Heat or Eric Burdon and War I recall.

The 'papers' used to be one of the crack services on the GC before closure despite running in the middle of the night. When the GC closed it was routed from Euston to Northampton then onwards to Leicester.

I recall it made good time to Northampton then trundled across to Leicester although I think the line speed was fairly low on that stretch, quite a bit of dwell time to unload the mornings news as well.

I'd suspect this is a Wolverton or Stonebridge Park ECS from Derby. It ran regularly and conjured all manner of stock, brake incompatibility often dictating it ran part or unfitted with a brake van.

Not sure when it might have started but I'm fairly certain the Nottingham papers ran out of St Pancras in the late Seventies. I believe the ECS ended up at Derby before returning South and usually ran with two type 4s to balance loco workings.

It was a favourite for diversion via the Manton line when any overnight works were taking place on the main line but never being seen in daylight, I doubt any photos exist of it. I'm not sure what the arrangement for unloading Leicester papers was, whether it had to reverse or whether they were offloaded at Loughborough. The switch to St Pancras pre-dated the closure of the Northampton - Mkt Harborough route by a few years at least.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking it might be a Derby - Wolverton/Stonebridge Park stock move, but David says that they were LOADING the syphons at Leicester.

Were they loading parcels/mail, or maybe enparts or other equipment ex L'ter depot?

I wish I could remember exactly what they were loading.   I suspect it could have been internal railway traffic.

David

Guest B Exam

Interesting to see that there is a barrier wagon between the 47 and the tanks in photo C4817.

Paul J.

Oil trains back in the day used to have barrier wagons depend on what liquid was being carried. This lasted until the mid to late 1980s. I can well remember the Lindsey-Langley and return tanks having a barrier wagon as the wagons conveyed Keroseen for Heathrow Airport.

The 47 depicted in the photo by Dave is likely to one of the two daily Rectory Jn-Lindsey empty tanks.

The photo of the centre box 37 passing Radcliffe whets my appetite! IIRC 37261 was the only centre box and oval buffers, complete with boiler based at Stratford at the time, so its likely to be this loco.

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to work that out too but lost the will!

That 37 is certainly one of the D6960 - 6968 batch based at Stratford - the centre lamp iron above the headcode box, presumably there for headboards, is the give away

Cheers

Phil

I wish I could remember exactly what they were loading.   I suspect it could have been internal railway traffic.

David

The 'ENPARTS' Siphons carried very prominent markings on the sides, which would be evident , even from an oblique angle such as that of the photo. However, there were a couple used to carry seating material for coaching stock from BREL Litchurch Lane. Might these be two of them?

• RMweb Gold

The 'ENPARTS' Siphons carried very prominent markings on the sides, which would be evident , even from an oblique angle such as that of the photo. However, there were a couple used to carry seating material for coaching stock from BREL Litchurch Lane. Might these be two of them?

That train very much has the appearance of a Wolverton empty stock service - were the vehicles tripped to Northampton to be formed into it or was it headed for Wolverton?

Were the Enparts syphon used elsewhere than the WR? Cheers

Phil

They might have been used to bring parts from elsewhere to Swindon, but they were WR-allocated. The LMR mainly used LMS-designed six-wheel Fish Vans (as modelled by Chivers). SR used a mixture of superannuated EMUs, alongside some ex-BYs and some purpose-built 'hooded flats' for complete DEMU engines. Not sure about the ER or ScR.

• RMweb Gold

The first Deltic gained domino headcodes in 1971 or 1972, (lost in the mists of time!), came as quite a shock at Doncaster, pre internet and advance warning days.

Mike.

Yes it was D9009 in Nov '72, but it was nigh on 2 years before a start was made on the remaining locos. I think all were modified some time before the end of headcode displays in early 1976.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Motherwell and Mossend. Good portrait views of 86508 and 37043. Is it possible to say which loco can be seen in the fourth photo', please?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of Motherwell and Mossend. Good portrait views of 86508 and 37043. Is it possible to say which loco can be seen in the fourth photo', please?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

It should now be correct, it is 26006.  The correct image was displayed but the file name was complete rubbish - being a combination of two I had uploaded in the batch.  Now how can that happen - it must be because PCs have a mind of their own?

The correct caption was there when I first posted it too, but it gone AWOL, all by itself.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Winning. I like the first one of the signal. It provides useful details for those making models. And in C6639 is a lovely shot of 37059.

Interesting to see Sir Nigel Gresley in the last photo. Not often you get to see an A4 working tender first.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Going back to post 7359 - my old friend D4 - your superb photo has actually prompted some modelling action tonight!

See post 665 in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11410-abbotswood-junction-inspiration-from-prototype-photos/page-27&do=findComment&comment=2396617

Thanks again for sharing your super photos

Kind regards

Phil