Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Great to see more B&T photos. Thanks for sharing

The platform at Bedlington Station still remains today and South Newsham is still a great location to photograph trains.

Bedlington_Station_22.8_14.JPG

66044_at_Newsham_16.3.20_001.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting in J8557 that the platform has no end ramp. I thought at that time the powers that be still insisted on them. I know that now they are regarded as a hazard as they allow people to get on to the line, but things were different then. In fact it looks as though a ramp may have been removed as there is space for it, rough ground and new brickwork. So when  did the change in the rules happen?

The Blyth & Tyne is a really fascinating line.

Jonathan

Having just looked at some old photos of Bedlington on the internet, it is possible that that end of the platform wasn't originally built with a ramp. The platforms are staggered, so no requirement for a barrow crossing and originally there was a set of points on the other line (opposite where the ramp would have been) serving a set of sidings (I presume the reason for the staggered platforms), and the "space" where the ramp would normally have been is the base for a footbridge, I assume this was provided to maintain pedestrian access along the street when the crossing gates were closed, rather than passenger access between platforms.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are all full of interest. In C19116, at South Newsham, with 56134, pushing a Railfreight coal weedkilling wagon, on the 23rd August, 1983, the 56 makes a fine sight in it’s sector livery.  

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Having just looked at some old photos of Bedlington on the internet, it is possible that that end of the platform wasn't originally built with a ramp. The platforms are staggered, so no requirement for a barrow crossing and originally there was a set of points on the other line (opposite where the ramp would have been) serving a set of sidings (I presume the reason for the staggered platforms), and the "space" where the ramp would normally have been is the base for a footbridge, I assume this was provided to maintain pedestrian access along the street when the crossing gates were closed, rather than passenger access between platforms.

Mmmm......  actually I may have got the "staggered" platform bit wrong. Having looked at another photo of the station, where the "other" platform would have been is a siding, which means the platform in the OP served trains in both directions - could anyone confirm this please?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, iands said:

Looking at the very good disused-stations.org.uk site the station only had one through platform with a bay for the branch to Newbiggin. The footbridge was there to let people cross the line when the gates were shut due to train movements. The site even has a photo taken in the 1950's with the platform having a ramp with the footbridge on it. I suspect that the ramp was removed either when the footbridge was removed or when the level crossing lost the old swing gates.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was an article in one of the magazines some time ago about the B & T with particular reference to Bedlington (Backtrack, IIRC). It said that trains travelling in one direction had to run past the station and reverse in, which sounds very odd. was this so?

• Thanks 1

Absolutely love the Blyth and Tyne photos, especially South Newsham as I know the area so well. I used to play Sunday league football on the pitches down the road from the crossing. I also had a friend called Smeg that lived in the row of houses next to the crossing, could watch the trains go past from his bedroom window.

Happy times!

Thanks as always for posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 62613 said:

There was an article in one of the magazines some time ago about the B & T with particular reference to Bedlington (Backtrack, IIRC). It said that trains travelling in one direction had to run past the station and reverse in, which sounds very odd. was this so?

I'm not sure about that, I didn't live in the area then.

Perhaps someone else knows?

Thanks for these super photographs of the Severn Valley Railway, David.

The sun is shining in the West Midlands today and I can almost smell that mixture of hot oil, steam and tasty smoke.

Keep posting, Keep safe and stay well.

All the very best, John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 62613 said:

It would have been certainly unusual. The only one I can think of first hand would be Dorchester South (for up trains) before the station was rebuilt with a 'proper' up platform. I'm sure it was done elsewhere too...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Dalston sidings would be ideal for a layout. Just two turnouts and a catch point. There doesn't even seem to be a ground disc so presumably the crew had a key to unlock the points - or were the unlocked from an adjacent signalbox? The turnout we can see has a hand lever so it would only need a two lever ground frame, I assume. But presumably it would have to lock the signal in the rear (out of site) somehow.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s, which show such a lot of interest. In J7218, at Bridgnorth, with 80079 on a Bridgnorth to Bewdley train, and 43106, on a Bewdley to Bridgnorth train, in August, 1980, you can see some of the excellent range of locomotive and carriage stock which the railway had by then, and, in particular some carriages of much interest in the Gresley TTO and the ex GWR corridor stock. Thank goodness they were preserved and to such a very high standard.

The Cumbrian Coast line photo’s are as interesting as ever, and in the last photo’, at Grange Over Sands, on the 8th August, 1987, you can see how scenic the line can be.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Like the pictures of the SVR - especially J4227 the "kit of parts" for GWR pannier tank 7714. When I visited 34 years later (wow, that long!) it looked in decidedly better shape!

IMG_5328.jpg.5225e6a30dcc90a1955748712dbe865f.jpg

Edited by RFS
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the Coatbridge Sunnyside photo’s which are all of interest. In C16906, with the view north to Gunnie, on the 24th April, 1992, you can see that both rails have the wavey metal tops to them  to help aid the presence of trains. It’s not too often you see that away from sidings and stations as far as I know. Also, I’ve tried to find out what happened with the engines that are seen in several of the photo’s, but can’t find any information.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Coatbridge Sunnyside photo’s which are all of interest. In C16906, with the view north to Gunnie, on the 24th April, 1992, you can see that both rails have the wavey metal tops to them  to help aid the presence of trains. It’s not too often you see that away from sidings and stations as far as I know. Also, I’ve tried to find out what happened with the engines that are seen in several of the photo’s, but can’t find any information.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The locos are in the Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the latest Settle and Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest, and it’s such a shame if there are hardly any left. In SIMG_2559, at Kirkby Stephen, with a class 153 leading a class 156, on Carlisle to Leeds service, on the 15th August, 2006, you have most atmospheric view, especially with the low cloud level shrouding the hill tops. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, keefer said:

Kirkby Stephen shows you can have a modern image layout with a very basic track plan but still keep the old-time architecture!

Much of the S&C is like that.

At Ribblehead you have a virtual quarry with two sidings

Northbound, trains to there have to back in.

Southbound, trains from there have to pull forward across the viaduct into the loop, loco runs round and then the train heads south.

Modern image, Midland Station Building, viaduct (single track), run round loop. Class 156 DMUs, Steam specials.

Plenty of operating potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1