Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Somehow, my Terrier arrived in Massachusetts without any damage!   ;)  'Brighton' ran back and forth on my 4' test module like a swiss watch.  Smooth, quiet, and would run at a nice crawl.

Last time I went to my club, I brought my biggest steam engine.  Next time I go, I'll bring my smallest steam engine.  Tonight, my 11 year old son asked to see them together...

post-7591-0-93402600-1442710939.jpg

post-7591-0-18165500-1442710949.jpg

post-7591-0-89691800-1442710956.jpg

Remember that the one on the left track is 1:48, so its a smaller scale and it **STILL** dwarfs the Terrier in every dimension!   :sungum:  :D

Oh, and I do have an O scale standard gauge engine which is smaller than the Terrier, but its not steam. (and its smaller even though its 1:48...)

• Like 16

Has the loco gone back together OK? I was thinking of getting one and re-spraying it into LSWR livery.

Marc

It goes back together like a good quality plastic kit. Shouldn't cause anyone any real problems. The LSWR acquired 2 Terriers in 1903. Both had their condensing pipes removed but retained the tank top vents. Otherwise they stayed as typical A1's until they were reboilered by Drummond in 1912 and lost their Salter valves in favour of Ross valves on the dome.

I brought some Phoenix improved loco green, I also brought some Phoenix rusty rails paint and there is not much different in the colours! Both are a shade of brown rather than yellow on the Dapol terrier.

I was thinking maybe a light blow over the Dapol model with Phoenix paint may darken the colour rather than a full repaint

If it's brown, surely it's Marsh umber? Stroudley's colour was always described as yellow in my experience and the model looks fine. I bought Phoenix Improved Engine Green for painting a DJH Jones Goods some years ago but didn't use it because it was brown and the real loco was quite definitely yellow.

Just found a picture in the Terrier book of Clapham newly repainted in its LSWR livery complete with condensing gear. Hopefully my loco should be here tomorrow. It will run in LBSCR livery until I paint my two LSWR Beattie well tanks when it will become LSWR No.735.

Any one recommend a DCC sound chip suppler?

Marc 

Just found a picture in the Terrier book of Clapham newly repainted in its LSWR livery complete with condensing gear. Hopefully my loco should be here tomorrow. It will run in LBSCR livery until I paint my two LSWR Beattie well tanks when it will become LSWR No.735.

Any one recommend a DCC sound chip suppler?

Marc 

There are pictures of LBSCR No.68 'Clapham' as LSWR No. 735 with and without the condensing pipes here :-

And also, LBSCR No.46 'Newington' as LSWR No. 734 (Now W8 Freshwater on the IoW Steam Railway) here :-

Edited by Fay Sets the Pace

Quite by chance while doing some research on railway artists I came across this page on warwickshirerailways.com of a painting of Edge Hill Light Railway No, 2 abandoned near Kineton.

http://warwickshirerailways.com/misc/bf2.htm

I am sure there is artistic license involved but it does give a realistic representation of what the two EHLR Terriers looked like. No. 2 was 674 Shadwell. There is a similar photo in the Middleton Press book on Branch Lines around Towcester.

• Like 3

Digitrains and DCC supplies do a suitable sound decoder with a 21 pin plug so it's easy to install; Digitrains use Zimo decoders which have a stay alive capacitor built in which is useful. The DCC Supplies decoder is designed specifically for the Terrier and the speaker clips into the black plastic item that comes in the box with the engine and slides into the smokebox. 

Peter

Are Dapol selling spares for the A1/A1x Terrier? I'll need to acquire the A1 type for my conversion project, but I will need the metal brake shoes and not the wooden ones for the time period I am modelling. I have determined that the bulk of the work for the conversion will be replacing the cab, removing unnecessary fittings, filling gaps and making much larger sandboxes for the front. After that it is all detailing. Not sure if I could be bothered having the wheel counterweights removed.

Edited by hartleymartin

Are Dapol selling spares for the A1/A1x Terrier? I'll need to acquire the A1 type for my conversion project, but I will need the metal brake shoes and not the wooden ones for the time period I am modelling. I have determined that the bulk of the work for the conversion will be replacing the cab, removing unnecessary fittings, filling gaps and making much larger sandboxes for the front. After that it is all detailing. Not sure if I could be bothered having the wheel counterweights removed.

Martin, with all that, would it not be easier to start with a kit for a Terrier?

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Martin, with all that, would it not be easier to start with a kit for a Terrier?

Cheers,

Andrew

I have spoken to Dapol, re spares. They are intending to produce certain items for owners of locomotives that were damaged in the post etc. Its possible they might be able to help?

However I have  now twice, contacted and ordered a "Waddon" Terrier from the owners club, having given all my details etc, and as of yet (Two weeks) still no Terrier !! 

Bob C

I like modifying RTR. Anyway, I am not much of a chassis builder as I am more interested in having a model that will run well. I've had my Ixiong HC apart several times for repaint and detailing.

In any case, the kits would not reduce the amount of scratchbuilding that I need to do and only add to the overall assembly time. Repainting is simple. NSWGR locomotives like this in the period that I am modelling were all black, and one like this probably didn't hang around any depot long enough to get red lining.

I like modifying RTR. Anyway, I am not much of a chassis builder as I am more interested in having a model that will run well. I've had my Ixiong HC apart several times for repaint and detailing.

In any case, the kits would not reduce the amount of scratchbuilding that I need to do and only add to the overall assembly time. Repainting is simple. NSWGR locomotives like this in the period that I am modelling were all black, and one like this probably didn't hang around any depot long enough to get red lining.

Like you, Martin, I like modifying RTR and, speaking for myself, I've never been able to build a chassis that didn't run like a 3 legged camel!

I like the challenge of making a good RTR model look that bit different. Kits, for me, aren't able to produce the result I want without access to a very large toolkit including some rather expensive bench tools which, for the occasional modeller like me, would sit gathering dust for months on end.

It's interesting, looking at the Dapol Terrier and the Ixion HC as well as the large names in 4mm, that RTR manufacturers are making use of a variety of materials; whichever best suits the item modelled and not trying, like most kit manufacturers, to reproduce everything from a single material, whether it be whitemetal; etched brass or whatever. When, and if, the kit manufacturers adopt the same policy of multi-medium models, it might tempt more 'average' modellers into their orbit.

Australian O Scale generally goes for a multi-medium approach to producing kits. For example, most of the bogies produced are in whitemetal/pewter, although the diamond bogie had to be produced in brass for strength. Body components may be in resin, pewter, brass or nickel-silver etch, detailing parts in cast brass, chassis frames often in brass (etched or laser-cut)

Of course, our kits are very small production runs sometimes only 20 at a time, although that all depends on how popular a model is going to be.

Took a look at a Slaters etched brass manning wardle kit. Took one look inside the box and thought to myself "nope, nope, nope."

• Like 1

• Administrators

I like the challenge of making a good RTR model look that bit different. Kits, for me, aren't able to produce the result I want without access to a very large toolkit including some rather expensive bench tools which, for the occasional modeller like me, would sit gathering dust for months on end.

"Bench tools"? What bench tools do you need for kitbuilding? I've never felt the need for any unless you count a rivet tool - and even then the Eileens Emporium drop rivet tool is hardly "bench".

Just curious.

Guest Isambarduk

"Bench tools"? What bench tools do you need for kitbuilding? I've never felt the need for any unless you count a rivet tool - and even then the Eileens Emporium drop rivet tool is hardly "bench".

Potential can of worms here, Phil; it rather depends where you gain your enjoyment and satisfaction.  For my part, I spend many happy hours in my workshop building locos and rolling stock - and I always treat kits as a basis for scratch-building (and I take RTR apart!) - but very few hours (also happy) running them by exercising running powers kindly offered by others on their railways.  Without my machine tools, I would have no hobby and kit-building on the kitchen table would be a poor substitute for me. I doubt that I am totally alone in this?

Here is one I made earlier:

Fowler-RHS-s.jpg

and, no, it's not an Ixion. See how at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_Fowler.htm

David

Just received this from Hattons ... !

'Hello

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and, as you requested an email notification of its arrival, thought you would like to know that it is not now expected to be released.

Dapol 7S-010-002, which you can see at http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=58959

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases. You will remain signed-up for notification – so if it is reinstated and delivered then you will receive a notification.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards
---------------------------------------------------
Hattons Model Railways
http://www.ehattons.com
0151 733 3655
Shop open & phones manned Monday - Saturday 8am - 6pm Sun 10am-4pm'

Yet the enclosed link states that the item is 'sold out' .....

Anyone else received similar from Ehattons? ... :O