Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

I'm sure I read it has a firebox glow? Can anyone confirm?

Yes it does, I did try to get a shot of it, but unfortunately with a DC loco it only really shows when the loco is running fast. It should be better with DCC as the light can be powered when stationary.

I must confess it caught me out a bit as it went by with a glow in the cab and I thought something was wrong. :O

Peter

can anyone advise (as i can't see anything anywhere) is the DCC sound Dapol are using, genuine terrier sound or generic steam loco sound?

Don't know about Dapol, but the  one available from Digitrains (probably less expensive but the same decoder, ZIMO MX644D)  definitely has exhaust beats recorded from a Terrier.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Is it safe to use a 'OO' decoder - has anyone ascertained that yet?

Yes; current draw is around 150 - 250mA. Stall current I measured at 760 mA.

On the basis that Dapol have fitted a 21 pin connector, and there's not enough space for a large scale decoder anyway, I think you can be reassured that a 00 decoder (whatever that is) will be fine.

In fact, for the hell of it, I've run mine on an MX648, ZIMO's miniature sound decoder which is small enough for most N gauge models.

Paul

Yes; current draw is around 150 - 250mA. Stall current I measured at 760 mA.

On the basis that Dapol have fitted a 21 pin connector, and there's not enough space for a large scale decoder anyway, I think you can be reassured that a 00 decoder (whatever that is) will be fine.

In fact, for the hell of it, I've run mine on an MX648, ZIMO's miniature sound decoder which is small enough for most N gauge models.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

Thats really interesting and useful to know.

I realise this is a small loco, yet Dapol's use of the 21 pin connector probably helps Dapol and its customers in equal amounts.

Kindest, with thanks,

CME

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

Thats really interesting and useful to know.

I realise this is a small loco, yet Dapol's use of the 21 pin connector probably helps Dapol and its customers in equal amounts.

Kindest, with thanks,

CME

It would have been more helpful if Dapol had fitted the PluX 22 connector they originally announced, or at least provided traces on the PCB to the unused (by Dapol) pins.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

That's over my head tech wise.

Why would the PluX22 have been better?

ATB

CME

You are right about the decoder being helpful to all, having no wires and being mechanically suported by the connector. (povided you don't want access to other function outputs which the manufacturer has not provided on the PCB, in which case it can be more awkward to resolve).

In truth, for many people, there may be no practical difference in the end result. It depends upon how many features the maufacturer includes as standard and how many additional items you might want to fit yourself to 'improve' the model.

Whether in this particular model there would be any great advantages is, perhaps, moot. I was really thinking of models in general, though as Dapol announced that they would be the first to use PluX 22 and that this model would be one of them, I was disappointed that they had not chosen to lead the way.

That said, I (personal opinion) feel that manufacturers should fit the most versatile system at the outset, even if they do not utilise all the functionality. It would cost pennies at the design/production stage, but be hugely helpful for people who wish to customise their model further down the line.

The PluX 22 connector is part a complete package of design criteria intended to overcome all of the shortcomings of the 21pinMTC, (which itself has not been, implemented fully/correctly by any UK based manufacturer).

The NEM 658 specifications stipulate the physical design of the decoder and connector and the space which manufacturers must provide for the decoder to occupy. This prevents the ridiculous situation reported many times on this forum, of a manufacturer providing a DCC socket which is all but impossible to use for lack of space, even for theirown brand decoders. 

PluX decoders have a different, more logical, pin-out arrangement with the index pin in the centre. This allows smaller PluX decoders to be used where there is no requirement for a high number of Function Outputs, thus giving the consumer more choice whist maintaining basic functionality.

Ther is a range of possible types which can be used: PluX8, PluX12, PluX16 and PluX22

PluX specs allow for up to 9 Function Outputs, all 'normal' full power - none of your 'logic level only' for Function Outputs (Aux) higher than 3 rubbish of the 21MTC that was designed to pander to Maerklin requirements. (this is the reason why Loksound decoders require a separate amplifing circuit or an additional adapter board to be able to use Aux 3 and Aux 4 on their 21MTC versions).

In the PluX system, the decoders have the pins, not the loco connector as in 21MTC so there is no possibility of using the wrong type. The PluX decoder can only be fitted in the correct orientation, unlike a 21MTC which can be fitted, usually fatally, incorrectly.

From a personal perspective as a ZIMO user, the stay-alive management circuit of a ZIMO MX645P (PluX 22) can cope as standard with a greater range of capacitor types and values than the MX644D (21MTC) - though to be fair what the MX644D has on-board is already superior to many other brands in this respect.

So my post was made in sadness at an opportunity lost rather than as a serious criticism of this model, which I've already said I love. I suppose that as long as maufacturers can get by with providing just enough to make it work correctly as delivered, they will.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

You are right about the decoder being helpful to all, having no wires and being mechanically suported by the connector. (povided you don't want access to other function outputs which the manufacturer has not provided on the PCB, in which case it can be more awkward to resolve).

In truth, for many people, there may be no practical difference in the end result. It depends upon how many features the maufacturer includes as standard and how many additional items you might want to fit yourself to 'improve' the model.

Whether in this particular model there would be any great advantages is, perhaps, moot. I was really thinking of models in general, though as Dapol announced that they would be the first to use PluX 22 and that this model would be one of them, I was disappointed that they had not chosen to lead the way.

That said, I (personal opinion) feel that manufacturers should fit the most versatile system at the outset, even if they do not utilise all the functionality. It would cost pennies at the design/production stage, but be hugely helpful for people who wish to customise their model further down the line.

The PluX 22 connector is part a complete package of design criteria intended to overcome all of the shortcomings of the 21pinMTC, (which itself has not been, implemented fully/correctly by any UK based manufacturer).

The NEM 658 specifications stipulate the physical design of the decoder and connector and the space which manufacturers must provide for the decoder to occupy. This prevents the ridiculous situation reported many times on this forum, of a manufacturer providing a DCC socket which is all but impossible to use for lack of space, even for theirown brand decoders. 

PluX decoders have a different, more logical, pin-out arrangement with the index pin in the centre. This allows smaller PluX decoders to be used where there is no requirement for a high number of Function Outputs, thus giving the consumer more choice whist maintaining basic functionality.

Ther is a range of possible types which can be used: PluX8, PluX12, PluX16 and PluX22

PluX specs allow for up to 9 Function Outputs, all 'normal' full power - none of your 'logic level only' for Function Outputs (Aux) higher than 3 rubbish of the 21MTC that was designed to pander to Maerklin requirements. (this is the reason why Loksound decoders require a separate amplifing circuit or an additional adapter board to be able to use Aux 3 and Aux 4 on their 21MTC versions).

In the PluX system, the decoders have the pins, not the loco connector as in 21MTC so there is no possibility of using the wrong type. The PluX decoder can only be fitted in the correct orientation, unlike a 21MTC which can be fitted, usually fatally, incorrectly.

From a personal perspective as a ZIMO user, the stay-alive management circuit of a ZIMO MX645P (PluX 22) can cope as standard with a greater range of capacitor types and values than the MX644D (21MTC) - though to be fair what the MX644D has on-board is already superior to many other brands in this respect.

So my post was made in sadness at an opportunity lost rather than as a serious criticism of this model, which I've already said I love. I suppose that as long as maufacturers can get by with providing just enough to make it work correctly as delivered, they will.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply as it applies to many models (in time) and modellers I would guess.

As you say a stitich in time would only have cost pennies, not sure why Dapol announced that they would fit such and then not? But there has been numerous communication issues re the 7mm releases.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

4 new Terriers announced today:

GWR Green no.5 'Portishead'

LBSCR Marsh Umber Brown no.643

Southern Green I.O.W no.11 'Newport'

BR Black  no.32636

post-9005-0-90360700-1441485742_thumb.gif

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good to see these planned releases, including the IoW version at last, there were so many Terrier variations there is lots of scope. 377S as Brighton Works would be popular!

Dava

Morning all!

If anyone is visiting Telford they have Waddon on sale-simply join their collector's club and it's yours!

Also, ask about any chance of some Stroudley coaches and suitable pre group freight stock in the near future too!!!!

I was told ' it is on the radar'! The more of us that tell them or write to them saying 'go for it', the sooner we will get them! Great news.

Despite problems, I think Dapol should be commended for what they have done and are doing!

The stand was heaving at Telford....and there were examples of the terrier in BR liveries, which look superb plus first metal test shot of the 08.

Well done, Dapol. Now, about that D1! Lol.

Edited by Tallsteve
  • Like 3

SWMBO opened hers yesterday posted from Messrs Kernow. Sadly all 4 buffers were bent inwards at about 20 degrees and the for'd steam pipe snapped off...

Not the end of the world, but very annying, especially as it was a present!

Doug

Morning all!

If anyone is visiting Telford they have Waddon on sale-simply join their collector's club and it's yours!

Also, ask about any chance of some Stroudley coaches and suitable pre group freight stock in the near future too!!!!

I was told ' it is on the radar'! The more of us that tell them or write to them saying 'go for it', the sooner we will get them! Great news.

Despite problems, I think Dapol should be commended for what they have done and are doing!

The stand was heaving at Telford....and there were examples of the terrier in BR liveries, which look superb plus first metal test shot of the 08.

Well done, Dapol. Now, about that D1! Lol.

No photos of the BR ones? You're killing me! I can't wait much more! :D Edited by Dreadnought05

SWMBO opened hers yesterday posted from Messrs Kernow. Sadly all 4 buffers were bent inwards at about 20 degrees and the for'd steam pipe snapped off...

Not the end of the world, but very annying, especially as it was a present!

Doug

I get the impression that the buffers aren't glued on, or only lightly as both mine had their buffers askew. However, it was very easy to realign them with a gentle push.

The only real damage Thames sustained was to the two black studs to the front of the water tanks. These had both snapped off. I have signalled to Dapol the damage and hope to be sent two replacements when they get around to issuing spares as per their promise following the problems with the packaging. Does anyone know what these studs are called? It is hard to describe them without a parts list and diagram.

I am very impressed wiht the model, there seems to be great attention to detail even down to the different brake blocks between the two eras (LBSC and Southern). The flickering firebox is not exactly to my taste and doubtless added a penny or two to the cost, but Dapol have to consider a broad spectrum of buyers and their differing priorities so I shalln't make a fuss over it.

I get the impression that the buffers aren't glued on, or only lightly as both mine had their buffers askew. However, it was very easy to realign them with a gentle push.

The only real damage Thames sustained was to the two black studs to the front of the water tanks. These had both snapped off. I have signalled to Dapol the damage and hope to be sent two replacements when they get around to issuing spares as per their promise following the problems with the packaging. Does anyone know what these studs are called? It is hard to describe them without a parts list and diagram.

I am very impressed wiht the model, there seems to be great attention to detail even down to the different brake blocks between the two eras (LBSC and Southern). The flickering firebox is not exactly to my taste and doubtless added a penny or two to the cost, but Dapol have to consider a broad spectrum of buyers and their differing priorities so I shalln't make a fuss over it.

i think you find, they are air vents for the water tanks.

and why did someone tell me there was a special collectors club edition! thats another one my wife won't let me buy!  :help:

The flickering firebox is not exactly to my taste and doubtless added a penny or two to the cost, but Dapol have to consider a broad spectrum of buyers and their differing priorities so I shalln't make a fuss over it.

The firebox flicker operates whenever there is enough power during analogue operation, but, although available at any time during DCC operation it is switchable  so it can be turned off if you don't like it.

On my model with a ZIMO MX644D decoder and my own custom sound project fitted, it operates only when the coal shovelling sound is playing. (on analogue or DCC).

If it really offends, the module which produces the effect is a separate small PCB with a couple of SMD red LEDs to provide the flicker. Just disconnect this from the main PCB to prevent it operating in all circumstances.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2