Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I agree with everybody else.

If the set is belt and braces, by that I mean made up of similar stuff, then nobody will notice 5mm.

Liverpool Lime St runs a set of origional Graham Farish suburban coaches. All the same, look great.

Next time I'll shout!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with everybody else.

If the set is belt and braces, by that I mean made up of similar stuff, then nobody will notice 5mm.

Liverpool Lime St runs a set of origional Graham Farish suburban coaches. All the same, look great.

Next time I'll shout!!!

Chris.

Hi Chris

What is this word "runs" when talking about Liverpool Lime Street?

I might go with the extra 5mm, still waiting comment from the Grantham mob as they seem to have a a bit of a clue when it comes to modelling LNER coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, I have had a second look at the diagrams, I am talking rubbish, the dia 103 were 1st/2nd composite, still six compartment but  two 2nds were standard 6 ft 2ins compartments, and 7 ft 6ins first (longer than normal) looks like some real muddling needs to be done. I think if I am having to make the firsts longer on the dia 103 to get the coach the right length then I should do so on the reverse and make the compartments smaller dia104s.

• RMweb Premium

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

One of the websites that you have to agree to several things before you can view them......

Anyone clever enough to translate this for me.

Just love this band.

No, only clever enough to retype it and put it into Google Translate - 

Icelandic: Ætli Það sé óhollt að láta sig dreyma

English: It's unhealthy to make yourself dream

While the band name Kælan Mikla comes out as "The Cool Mass" or "Great Chilled". Mikla by itself is great or much. The Big Freeze???

Icelandic - beloved of Germanic language enthusiasts as it has kept a lot of historic grammatical features that other Germanic languages have lost. That's as far as my knowledge goes.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Hi Chris

What is this word "runs" when talking about Liverpool Lime Street?

I might go with the extra 5mm, still waiting comment from the Grantham mob as they seem to have a a bit of a clue when it comes to modelling LNER coaches.

And we do not!

I will take my mock outrage and storm out of the room.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

And we do not!

I will take my mock outrage and storm out of the room.

Richard

Now get back in your seat....or you will be sent to see "Sir".

I have had a look at the bits and bobs I have got so far to make this train. I am going to have to make the first compartments on the 1st/2nd compo longer to make the coach the right length. I think I will use one of the all third Kirk sides I have for that with some clever cutting and shutting. The intermediate third (7 compartment) I will reduce the compartment size of the all first Kirk coach sides. The brake second will be made from parts from the Hornby shorty coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It says "I'm guessing it's unhealthy to be dreaming", maybe they play with themselves when having a kip.

This is a family friendly thread.

I have not clicked on your music choices before, I did for the Icelandic band. All I can say is that it is really quite weird.

Yeah!!!!!

Enough of what is and isn't mine and working on my body I have a very very serious dilemma. For a long time I have been considering building a LNER GER Hertford line quad-art set to add to my various non gangway coaches. Now the set is made up of a Brake Second (down rated to Third) 3 compartments , diagram 102+ First 6 compartments, diagram 103+Third 7 compartments, diagram 104 +Third 8 compartments, diagram 105. At the weekend I purchased from Precision paints some Kirk coach sides to supplement the Hornby shorty LNER coaches I am going to use.

LNER GER Hertford line quad art set ? Am I missing something ? After spending an hour of my life I won't get back looking at every photo I can lay my hands on I have concluded, unless I am wildly mistaken, that you mean a LNER GNR quad art. Am I right or did some quad arts actually escape on to the GER line ? I think some turned up at North Woolwich, but never heard of them on Liv St - Hertford but could be wrong .

Anyway , I would love to see some step by step pictures of the construction as I am rather fond of quad/quint arts. They will look great behind your N2.

• RMweb Premium

LNER GER Hertford line quad art set ? Am I missing something ? After spending an hour of my life I won't get back looking at every photo I can lay my hands on I have concluded, unless I am wildly mistaken, that you mean a LNER GNR quad art. Am I right or did some quad arts actually escape on to the GER line ? I think some turned up at North Woolwich, but never heard of them on Liv St - Hertford but could be wrong .

Anyway , I would love to see some step by step pictures of the construction as I am rather fond of quad/quint arts. They will look great behind your N2.

Hi Jazzer

There were 14 Quad arts made for the Hertford line services. They were not the same as the GNR quads or the GER Quints as they had near normal size compartments and were longer coaches. I am going to have to fit air brake equipment on my L1 and renumber it, they were air braked. I will do a blow by blow photographic account.

• RMweb Premium

I have received some sad news today. My friend and fellow Witham club member Pete Haywood died yesterday, he had been unwell for a period of time. Pete was one of the first people to welcome a strange punk rocker into the Witham club. He was a great influence on my modelling when I first joined. He had done some conversions of diesels before they were published in the model railway press. A split head code 37, a toffee apple 30 and a skinhead class 24. All three fitted in his GER themed modelling of the end of steam, his trainspotting years. He always had a story from those days to share with us.

All the years I have been a member of the Witham club Pete has been the treasurer and he was a founding member of the club. Rest in peace my friend.

Pete’s death is really bad news. He was a great gentleman in the truest sense of the word, and after some ex punk rocker had invited me to the club I often sat with Pete and chewed the cud. Like you I found him an always helpful with modeling projects and with interesting stories from times before I was born. I soaked them all up. My thoughts go out to his family and the club. I will miss him enormously.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I am going to take the motors out of my locos. Model railways don't need movement, how stupid of me to think they did.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/?p=3378904

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/?p=3379169

I am also converting to P4, it doesn't matter how often the trains fall off, it is P4 and that is better than I model now.

Hi Jazzer

There were 14 Quad arts made for the Hertford line services. They were not the same as the GNR quads or the GER Quints as they had near normal size compartments and were longer coaches. I am going to have to fit air brake equipment on my L1 and renumber it, they were air braked. I will do a blow by blow photographic account.

Thanks for that Clive. It's filled a couple of misunderstandings from my early spotting days.

By the time I was able to start going to KX on my own all the quad arts had gone and the Hertford line was all DMUs, and Type 2's towing rBR standard suburbans . I saw the quint arts at Liv St and managed to ride them to Enfield Town and back just before the end of steam but never actually saw quad arts on the Liv. St -Hertford route. However, I didn't know then, but learned much later that all the Dmu's I saw were going to Hertford and the L1's, pulling 7 Thompson suburbans were going to Bishops Stortford, so I assumed all the steam services to Hertford were the same.

However what I find fascinating, ( probably nobody except complete nutters will ) is that my nearest line was the North Woolwich branch and I remember seeing 4- coach quad arts which I assumed would be the ER quint arts with the middle coach removed to get it in the platform, but now seems that what I was looking at was one of the quads you are referring to. There was a through train each day from Hertford East to North Woolwich so I guess the quad arts you refers to would probably be what I was looking at. According to my old timetable the set arrived from Hertford at 7.43 am and returned at 5.50 pm , so probably worked the local services to Stratford and back in between those times.

So there we are. A life times mystery solved on RM Web. Hardly surprising our wives think we have a few screws loose though is it ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am going to take the motors out of my locos. Model railways don't need movement, how stupid of me to think they did.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/?p=3378904

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131275-warley-national-model-railway-exhibition-2018-24th-and-25th-november/?p=3379169

I am also converting to P4, it doesn't matter how often the trains fall off, it is P4 and that is better than I model now.

Don't get too wound up about the bloke that was particularly rude to you on the Warley thread. He is completely over thinking your statement, to the point of obsession that he is correct and you are stupid (his words) :rtfm: . I think he needs to take a chill pill and look at your handiwork and then he might shut up.

P4? That's getting too serious. 7mm maybe but, please, not P4.

Antidote to plonkers is a good pack of Ginger biscuits and a fine cup of Chi. :yahoo: 

ATB

The Slim Controller.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Don't get too wound up about the bloke that was particularly rude to you on the Warley thread. He is completely over thinking your statement, to the point of obsession that he is correct and you are stupid (his words) :rtfm: . I think he needs to take a chill pill and look at your handiwork and then he might shut up.

P4? That's getting too serious. 7mm maybe but, please, not P4.

Antidote to plonkers is a good pack of Ginger biscuits and a fine cup of Chi. :yahoo:

ATB

The Slim Controller.

Cheers Phil

I am going to P4 if the builders of the Sidmouth diorama can win best of show when every thing falls off then with no motors in my locos and 00 wheels running on P4 track I am on to a winner.  :yahoo: Bung in the extra C and some noise, a diesel going Chuff Chuff, wonderful.  :fool: 

Seriously, the beauty of model railways is our models move, we can recreate a part of the working railways of the world. Had there been a Stoke Bank, a Mostyn, a Grantham type layout there the talk would have been how people couldn't get to see it/them because of the crowds. Well modelled layouts with lots of action. :yes:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Phil

I am going to P4 if the builders of the Sidmouth diorama can win best of show when every thing falls off then with no motors in my locos and 00 wheels running on P4 track I am on to a winner.  :yahoo: Bung in the extra C and some noise, a diesel going Chuff Chuff, wonderful.  :fool:

Seriously, the beauty of model railways is our models move, we can recreate a part of the working railways of the world. Had there been a Stoke Bank, a Mostyn, a Grantham type layout there the talk would have been how people couldn't get to see it/them because of the crowds. Well modelled layouts with lots of action. :yes:

That's why I fail to understand the Lime Street set up where I have yet to be able to actually see what is happening on the rails as the viewing opportunities are just so limited.

Poor old Sidmouth is such a lovely model but it does suffer from being in exhibition halls. Fortunately I was able to admire it working very well at Donny I think it was. Couldn't view Lime Street action there either! Superb buildings but so much hidden.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

That's why I fail to understand the Lime Street set up where I have yet to be able to actually see what is happening on the rails as the viewing opportunities are just so limited.

Poor old Sidmouth is such a lovely model but it does suffer from being in exhibition halls. Fortunately I was able to admire it working very well at Donny I think it was. Couldn't view Lime Street action there either! Superb buildings but so much hidden.

Phil

Hi Phil

I have seen Sidmouth 3 times, never seen a train run on it, Ok the 3rd time was this weekend before the show opened so shall we say twice now and no movement.

Lime Street, didn't even notice it this weekend but the other two times I have seen movement. 1st time after 15 or so minutes of seeing a bus whizz round a Patriot slowly meandered into the station. 5 minutes later my mate woke me up and we went and saw some other layouts. Second time was at Doncaster, I was on the DEMU stand behind the fiddle yard, very impressed with the dual usage of the baseboard racking. It was being used a cloakroom, the teams coats were all on coat hangers suspended from a bar in the top of the racking. Unfortunately this did mean I couldn't see what was going on. Late in the day I was talking to some geezer who was demoing welding lumps of white metal together to make ECML pacifics about the layout in front of him , as I was wandering back to my post in an excited voice "Quick Clive there is something moving".

Two lovely modelled railway scenes to a standard I could never match but lacking that movement which makes a lovely model become an excellent model railway.

One layout I did enjoy, even though it portrays life up north, is MICK's Newbyrford. Trains move through a very well modelled modern scene. Without the trains it is a nice model, with the trains passing the scenery compliments the well modelled rolling stock.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

I guess I'd better take up P4.  The only time I run my trains is at exhibitions, going finescale could save me that effort.