Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

....there is no other option unless absolutely scale flanges are used because the distance between the flanges on the two drivers is very small.

When the late Guy Williams built his C1 for the "More 4mm Engines" book, even he had to "cheat" slightly by increasing the wheelbase by about a millimetre, even though he was using Ultrascale "EM-Fine" flanges.

Bachmann have kept the correct wheelbase, which might mean that you might just get away with it if using AGW or Ultrascale P4 flanges. It's a bit like the problem with the GWR "Saint" - only 7ft between the first and second driving axles, and a driving wheel diameter of 6ft 8.5in, which in modelling terms gives you sod-all clearance between first and second pair of drivers. That may explain why we've not seen a "Saint" in RTR for many years (even taking into account Hornby-Margate's much compromised effort).

That still doesn't answer Tony's other questions about the open width between driving splashers, and open width between tender outside frames, though.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before I order I would like some details of the model. I was hoping a purchaser on here would take it apart and do a detail review. The things I am interested in are:

1. The wheelbase of the model versus the prototype (has the distance between the drivers been stretched)

2. The exact size of the models driving wheels (over treads)

3. The diameter of the splashers - are they overscale?

4. The inside dimensions between the splashers (ie how much room for EM or 18.83 wheels)

5. The inside dimensions between the tender frames (ie how much room for EM and 18.83 wheels)

6. A picture of the drive train from the motor

7. A picture of the chassis off the loco

8. A picture of the tender chassis taken out.

Sorry if this seems a lot, as I am not an OO modeller and would wish to convert this model to other gauges really need to know this before I fork out a lot of money.

Tony

Tony

I've got one on order and can give you the dimensions when it turns up if you don't get them beforehand, if I'm your way at all I might be able to bring it over to cast an eye over it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just to add that, on my C1, when it came adding the front frame-mounted guard irons, that the model started short-circuiting. It was clearly those guard irons, for the model was not doing that before.. So I removed them, and the C1 is now running as sweetly as ever. So, take care when adding the front guard irons, they might cause a short circuit.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. That's a great video Jenny, which I've really enjoyed.

Edited by Market65

I got my C1 hauling a 10 coach train on Sunday, the curves were reasonable but not massively generous and all was level, the train was 9 Bachmann Thompson coaches and one Bachmann MK1, I only got a little slipping when starting but once the train was underway there wasn't a single issue or slip and she could easily manage more.

• RMweb Gold

My image of 62822 with Hornby Gresley suburban carriages...

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/453898788109125/?type=1&theater

just bought a GNR version, could not resist when I saw the lettering and lining in the review video.

Cheers,

Rob

Lovely as always Rob :) can you do a GNR one too ;)

These all-action videos of a box opener tickle me.... :lol:

Well I hope there's a specific video showing how to get the LNER version out of its box, otherwise I'll just have to sit and look at mine in its packaging when it arrives, until I run out of tissues. Is there a video to show us how to turn our computers on so that we can watch the box opening vidoes?

Well I hope there's a specific video showing how to get the LNER version out of its box, otherwise I'll just have to sit and look at mine in its packaging when it arrives, until I run out of tissues. Is there a video to show us how to turn our computers on so that we can watch the box opening videos?

It's safe to say that these videos aren't really aimed at people like you. There is surprisingly enough a large market for these sorts of things. Many people do like them, and watch them, and make me enough money through adverts to fund a part of my hobby. I'm not the only one who does it, as I've seen a few other people being equally as successful as me doing the same thing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When the late Guy Williams built his C1 for the "More 4mm Engines" book, even he had to "cheat" slightly by increasing the wheelbase by about a millimetre, even though he was using Ultrascale "EM-Fine" flanges.

Bachmann have kept the correct wheelbase, which might mean that you might just get away with it if using AGW or Ultrascale P4 flanges. It's a bit like the problem with the GWR "Saint" - only 7ft between the first and second driving axles, and a driving wheel diameter of 6ft 8.5in, which in modelling terms gives you sod-all clearance between first and second pair of drivers. That may explain why we've not seen a "Saint" in RTR for many years (even taking into account Hornby-Margate's much compromised effort).

That still doesn't answer Tony's other questions about the open width between driving splashers, and open width between tender outside frames, though.

According to the Charles Lake drawing the prototype driving wheel centres on a  C1 are 6ft 10" apart and the diameter of the driving wheels is 6ft 8" (over the tyres) - so there is 2 inches clearance BEFORE allowing for the depth of the tyres - assuming wheels at maximum diameter.  When I was at the launch day at Shildon I tried the distance between the flanges of 251 with my hand (it was definitely not going to move!) and the space between them is not big enough to get your hand in - and I don't have large hands.

The compromise chosen of correct axle centres spacing, with wheel diameter - as measured over the flanges not the tyres - at maximum wear condition is the one I was advocating. I believe this gives the best possible appearance in OO, and it leaves the way clear for any P4 hero to rewheel or build a chassis with scale maximum diameter wheelsets and have those flanges running about 0.2mm apart! 

• RMweb Premium

I've got a ton of information of other modellers solving problems in videos... And many other things.. Such as opening suitcases without a screwdriver / hammer having forgotten the code.. Car repairs, recipes etc etc

All respect for anyone who does that, and it's their choice where to start, if watching the video the start is too basic or not relevant there's always the slider at the bottom of the video to scroll it along a bit.

Don't bite the hand that feeds the brain.

Precisely. Presumably the people who refer to videos with boxes being opened actually watched it without fast forwarding. Actually I too don't see the point of spending 5 minutes getting it out the box but I defend the enthusiasm of the DVD makers who want to show you this and all other aspects of their new model. If you are bored or think you are above this sort of thing just fast forward or pass on . It's really easy to do!

Thanks to Jenny for that video I personally found it more useful than a mag review. Watching it run is clearly something beyond the mags

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

A excellent posting. An appropriate time than to reflect that we are....apparently....a community. The quintessential point of claiming membership of such is that we support one another and our right to post in good faith and within reason.I see no reason to dispute Jenny Kirk's method of communicating this.This is a "broad church" and all of like mind should be cherished and encouraged and not otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update to advise that I received a pm from Sandra this afternoon (who is on vacation at the moment) advising me that she had spoken to one of her colleagues and had arranged for the return and exchange of my defective Atlantic.

If that is not dedication, I don't know what is. Many thanks Sandra, please enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Keith

Its getting towards the end of the week so thought I would give an update on the status of my faulty GNR Atlantic (and if anyone has forgotten, the front bogie fell of after the screw that was supposed to hold the bogie on the frame came adrift).

As I mentioned above Sandra had suggested the exchange of defective loco using UPS - UPS would deliver a replacement model to me and return the defective loco to the NRM. All seemed hunky dory. 

Unfortunately Sandra's colleague at the NRM had other ideas - she wanted the defective loco returned to them, they would examine the loco and, if it was found to be defective, they would send me a replacement. This left bit of a bad feeling in my mouth but, hey, that's what they wanted so I had to go along with them. They said they would make arrangements for UPS to collect the loco from me yesterday (Wednesday). 

Wednesday came and went but no visit from UPS despite me being at home all day yesterday. Today I phoned the NRM and they advised that for some reason UPS tried to collect the loco from me in Dartford despite Dartford being at the other end of Kent with a completely different postcode. It annoyed me somewhat that the NRM knew this by tracking the transaction but did not bother to tell me when they found out.

They then confirmed that they would contact UPS today and ensure that the loco would be collected today from the correct so I spent another day at home waiting and, guess what, no visit from UPS - and no call from the NRM telling me that they would not be collecting the model. So, tomorrow morning have to start again with another phone call to the NRM........

I know that the NRM is a small operation, that they have been busy with the delivery of the Atlantics and the announcement of the Stirling but when they are producing premium models for premium prices they should, I think, give premium service when things go wrong. They've got my money (and quite a bit of it!!) and I've got (thanks to Bachmann) a defective loco waiting to be exchanged. 

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm gobsmacked - phoned Sharon at 9.30am, not at her desk so left message asking her to contact me with a UPS tracking number. No reply by 11.00am so phoned again, Sharon still not at her desk.

Phoned the main switchboard at the NRM and got an answerphone with 6 options, pressed option 6 (Other Matters) which took me back to the beginning repeating all the options. Pressed one of the other options and spoke to a very helpful member of staff who happened to be passing the phone when it rang. Asked to speak to Sharon - no, sorry she's not in today (not mentioned in her answerphone message) , asked to speak to Stuart - no, sorry he's not in today. Asked if I could speak to anyone else - no, sorry Sandra is on holiday in New York.

You could not make this up if you tried....

At the Stirling announcement last week Simon Kohler said there were things to be done..... Think he's right there!!

So, looks like its back to phoning the NRM again on Monday morning........ while my defective Atlantic sits in its box waiting to be collected.

Keith

Well, I'm gobsmacked - phoned Sharon at 9.30am, not at her desk so left message asking her to contact me with a UPS tracking number. No reply by 11.00am so phoned again, Sharon still not at her desk.

Phoned the main switchboard at the NRM and got an answerphone with 6 options, pressed option 6 (Other Matters) which took me back to the beginning repeating all the options. Pressed one of the other options and spoke to a very helpful member of staff who happened to be passing the phone when it rang. Asked to speak to Sharon - no, sorry she's not in today (not mentioned in her answerphone message) , asked to speak to Stuart - no, sorry he's not in today. Asked if I could speak to anyone else - no, sorry Sandra is on holiday in New York.

You could not make this up if you tried....

At the Stirling announcement last week Simon Kohler said there were things to be done..... Think he's right there!!

So, looks like its back to phoning the NRM again on Monday morning........ while my defective Atlantic sits in its box waiting to be collected.

Keith

Keith,like you I have had the most frustrating time trying to speak to someone who could arrange a refund for being charged twice for postage. Once when i paid the deposit in July last year and again when the model was dispatched.I made five calls to the UK from Sydney eventually to be told that those who could arrange this were either on holiday or on their day off! I was told to call again on Monday.At least my model did arrive in tact.and, thanks to your experience, I checked the bogie screw and found it good and tight.

Good afternoon all, I don't often mix business with being on here but...

You'll all by now be aware that Sandra is having a few days' break in the USA and that her assistant is not in today.

However, the Chairman of Locomotion has been here this morning and has seen your comments. Apologies to anyone who has had difficulty getting a satisfactory response by phone. He has tried to ring the few people who have called with issues and left numbers. To our valued customer in Australia, rest assured that we will deal with your issue immediately upon Sandra's return and your refund will be issued - no need to call again, this has been logged.

Sandra will be back late next week and will deal with everyone in her usual highly efficient and friendly manner if folks could just be patient as we are only a small team and she is the expert.

Just so everyone knows, we are expecting extra stocks of the Atlantic next week, both as 251 and BR black, but all of our initial stock has been sent out to customers who ordered earlier. At the moment therefore, we don't yet have stock available to allow immediate replacement but do please rest assured that anyone with a warranty problem will be addressed as soon as more stock arrives.

All best wishes

Anthony Coulls

NRM Senior Curator Rail Transport & Technology (working at Shildon today)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just to let everyone know I've just had a long conversation with Brian Greenwood, the Chairman of Locomotion who took the time to call me and discuss all the matters mentioned in my previous postings which is very much appreciated. 

I understand that Locomotion Models is a small but growing organisation and currently going through a very busy period with the arrival of the Atlantic and the announcement of the Stirling Single and, unfortunately, my problems surfaced during this busiest of times. The problems are now being resolved and life returns to normal.

Time to run some trains.........

Keith

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I said the box-opening videos tickle me because Jenny Emily gives a performance and is a natural in front of the camera. Jenny may know this already as I have mentioned them before.

I think she does a lovely job with the box opening videos (and her various others as well) and the production standards are pretty good and professional.

I think she does a lovely job with the box opening videos (and her various others as well) and the production standards are pretty good and professional.

Me personally, I will need to work out in the gym first before attempting to remove that piece of tissue paper covering the outside of the box....

Good afternoon all, I don't often mix business with being on here but...

You'll all by now be aware that Sandra is having a few days' break in the USA and that her assistant is not in today.

However, the Chairman of Locomotion has been here this morning and has seen your comments. Apologies to anyone who has had difficulty getting a satisfactory response by phone. He has tried to ring the few people who have called with issues and left numbers. To our valued customer in Australia, rest assured that we will deal with your issue immediately upon Sandra's return and your refund will be issued - no need to call again, this has been logged.

Sandra will be back late next week and will deal with everyone in her usual highly efficient and friendly manner if folks could just be patient as we are only a small team and she is the expert.

Just so everyone knows, we are expecting extra stocks of the Atlantic next week, both as 251 and BR black, but all of our initial stock has been sent out to customers who ordered earlier. At the moment therefore, we don't yet have stock available to allow immediate replacement but do please rest assured that anyone with a warranty problem will be addressed as soon as more stock arrives.

All best wishes

Anthony Coulls

NRM Senior Curator Rail Transport & Technology (working at Shildon today)

Thanks Antuony for your response it is much appreciated.