Jump to content

Class "31s" ....Photos....


Recommended Posts

31 970 at Warrington Central on 30th May 1990

2095242176_31970atWarringtonCentralon30thMay1990.jpg.7a6fb5562b47cdebe023aa20fd3ec171.jpg

 

 

 

31 568 at Bescot Yard on 6th May 1990

1482411907_31568atBescotYardon6thMay1990.jpg.2748a66ab074a015d275dc6a909d6676.jpg

 

31 209 at Stratford Depot on 2nd June 1990

1736218634_31209atStratfordDepoton2ndJune1990.jpg.2285e15633b83e9c47f7aefaa76aa29b.jpg

 

Mark

31 209 at Stratford Depot on 2nd June 1990

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did excavate the driver's doors on an Airfix 31 many moons ago, referring to David Percival's close-up of D5672 in an Ian Allan ABC. It was finished as 31247. Catchers themselves not required on a TOPS blue one of course, although I had previously tackled the Scottish type on Hornby Class 24 and 21 conversions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Hymek paint job, but my fave 50 - 044, Exeter lurking in the background is even better.  

 

Soft spot for locos sharing names with HM ships lost in the Far East, Repulse, Exeter and yes, the d826 Jupiter I use on here. 

 

Exeter and Jupiter were both lost around the time my Grandads' ship, HMS Encounter went down.

 

Great photo that.

 

Matt W

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2021 at 18:28, Rugd1022 said:

 

My dad was always chuffed that I was driving locos at Old Oak with names like 'Ajax', 'Ark Royal' and 'Invincible' as he was in the Navy from 1956 to 1964 ;).

 

Another shot of '135, this time at Old Oak, with the new 'Elephant House' cleaning shed in the background this would be 1983 / 84....

 

518171563_OLDOAK31135-M.jpg.d27e7db82537ee5fce3ecb3c1455210f.jpg

In a sea of blue, any variation probably caused froth !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2021 at 18:28, Rugd1022 said:

 

My dad was always chuffed that I was driving locos at Old Oak with names like 'Ajax', 'Ark Royal' and 'Invincible' as he was in the Navy from 1956 to 1964 ;).

 

Another shot of '135, this time at Old Oak, with the new 'Elephant House' cleaning shed in the background this would be 1983 / 84....

 

518171563_OLDOAK31135-M.jpg.d27e7db82537ee5fce3ecb3c1455210f.jpg

 

I saw this one once, at Bristol Bath Road in 1984. I wasn't quick enough with the camera when it departed west light engine but ISTR the sun was shining through the cab windows from the opposite side anyway so all I'd have got was a Class 31-shaped silhouette! As I've mentioned before, with a 'clearly defined recess around the cab side windows' all Class 31 FYEs should have looked like this. Although I could just about find a use for a model of it, so far I've resisted the temptation based on Lima's 31283. So far.........but it did look rather good, didn't it.........and there's that Hymek connection.........oh, stop it, I've got too much to do already! :stop:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

In a sea of blue, any variation probably caused froth !

The variation was in the motive power and rolling stock.  More than compensated for lack of variety in colour.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

 

I saw this one once, at Bristol Bath Road in 1984. I wasn't quick enough with the camera when it departed west light engine but ISTR the sun was shining through the cab windows from the opposite side anyway so all I'd have got was a Class 31-shaped silhouette! As I've mentioned before, with a 'clearly defined recess around the cab side windows' all Class 31 FYEs should have looked like this. Although I could just about find a use for a model of it, so far I've resisted the temptation based on Lima's 31283. So far.........but it did look rather good, didn't it.........and there's that Hymek connection.........oh, stop it, I've got too much to do already! :stop:

 

Amongst the large box of prints and negatives that got left behind when I moved out of London back in 1985 are a dozen or so really good shots of 31 135 in this livery at Padd and Old Oak, taken when I was secondmanning it on the up and down empty stock moves in September '83, I can picture them all now and am still kicking myself all these years later for leaving so many treasured photos behind! There were hundreds of photos in that box which I'd taken at work on 08s, 31s, 47s and 50s, all probably landfill by now.... :mad:.

 

Here's another one I came across recently, taken at Old Oak, photographer unknown....

 

464938436_OLDOAK31135OC.jpg.572843801b86658dfdf269b57e58be62.jpg.ae0f37c84803b254e5e5eacfde1f1d90.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...