Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Just had a Christmas card from Hornby...copy below

attachicon.gifHornby.jpg

Message read.."Have a good one meduck and the S15 will be with you shortly when we have escaped from all this stuff".

Nice of them wasn't it?

Sincerely, P @ 36E

Oh, I do like that!!!

Reminds me of the great froth of 2013, when the Great Western tanks were due.....

Some Hornby R9999X Froth Dispersement Fluid (£29:99, out of stock) is required.....

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

Send it down here mate. I'll make use of it!

Have a good Christmas etc. and all the best to you in 2015

P

Cheers Phil - why would you want a 4-VEP though????!!!!  LOL.

Other things were in the boxes, but what a shame they couldn't supply us in time for Christmas.  Ah well. 

• RMweb Premium

No release program will please everybody. Given where Hornby were 12 months ago and given where they are now I really cannot see how their current program can be seen as anything other than a very positive one. Detail is recovering. Product is flowing again. They're doing some interesting enthusiast releases as well as mass market sellers. The Mk.1 gaffiti coach is a bit of fun and I suspect will sell OK. Their program is biased towards subjects from the Southern half of the country, given that Southern subjects (by which I mean the Southern and BR Southern Region) were the poor relations of their Northern and Western cousins for so many years (how many third rail EMU's were done before the 4CEP from Bachmann?) I think it a bit unfair to begrudge Southerners a few choice releases. And as has been pointed out there are a lot of people in Southern England.

• RMweb Gold

If you drop the 'superfluous' O and T, you end up with S. That will be a non-gangwayed compartment second, then.

It is irrelevant that there are no Mk.4 compartment seconds. If there were, they would be coded SK. So the open coaches have to be coded SO or TSO, whether you and I like it or not.

I am (perhaps belatedly) coming to the conclusion that Mk3 and Mk4 loco hauled stock codings do make sense, but only if one treats HST trailers purely as DMu vehicles and avoids making comparisons between the two types of Mk3 stock altogether.

Which may well be what BR did themselves...........

John

• RMweb Gold
tomparryharry, on 24 Dec 2014 - 14:47, said:

You mean they weren't? Can I buy one here? Oh, be still, my beating heart!

Ian

I believe they may only be purchased from Camborne, which, despite being in the same county, is rather further from Wadebridge than most would imagine.

Might explain why so few Exeter's were made if they where only supposed to be sold in Exeter.... :jester:  :jester:

Some of us know where the real truth about the Exeters lies: see post 8289 in A Nod to Brent.

:jester:

(Am I allowed to do this cross-referral…?)

• RMweb Gold

Some of us know where the real truth about the Exeters lies: see post 8289 in A Nod to Brent.

(Am I allowed to do this cross-referral…?)

Yes he's responsible for a shortage of Castles too.

post-126-0-53767900-1419438543.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

And look at all the layouts based on Scottish prototypes , there must be a market. The point was being made that people were underwhelmed by the announcements. My point back is that if there was a bit more geographical and period coverage people may have been less underwhelmed.

I do remember Simon Kohler once stating that there were proportionately more modellers north of the border , possibly on yet another reintroduction of the Caley 123 or Pug

Scottish modellers have been well served over many years on the D&E front, whether Strathclyde PTE orange DMU's or a whole raft of 37's, 47's and other classes in Scottish colours etc. Bachmann have also turned out a lot of Scottish stuff too with again numerous DMU's etc in Scottish colours of all sorts. I'd hazard a guess over the years the Scots have not faired too badly as a proportion.

Maybe Hornby weren't willing to commit to making models for a foreign country that was facing economic meltdown if it got independence earlier this year? :jester: They probably had a heads up on future oil prices.......... :O

• RMweb Premium

I think Scottish modern image (or rather, Scottish diesel era) modellers have done nicely with plenty of Scottish releases of regular types like classes 37 & 47 as well as releases like classes 26 and 27 which were pretty much pure Scottish types for most of their lives. I do see that Scottish steam era modellers have been less well served however.

• RMweb Gold

Yes he's responsible for a shortage of Castles too.

attachicon.gifpost-9751-0-76632900-1419371451-2.jpeg

Can't you see the emerging picture? Sudden shortages, limited stocks sold direct, strange warehouse moves in the middle of the night, disinformation, broken promises, "missing" orders, mass duplication of new models (71, Radial), businesses report they don't make any money but strangely stay in business........

It's a conspiracy I tell you, to bring down the decadent West using model trains as a trojan horse/5th column. We know the Chinese are in on it as they control the factories. Dark forces are at work. Our model train industry has been infiltrated by sleeper agents. Digital control? You realise the enemy could take over your layout and create utter mayhem?And soon there will be remote control :O Do MI6 know? Maybe that's why Corgi do 007 models? We should be told. What are those digital stay alive models doing whilst we sleep? Spying on us? Sending details of our activities back to Pyongyang? What if the North Koreans took over every layout in the country..........

• RMweb Gold

Can't you see the emerging picture? Sudden shortages, limited stocks sold direct, strange warehouse moves in the middle of the night, disinformation, broken promises, "missing" orders, mass duplication of new models (71, Radial), businesses report they don't make any money but strangely stay in business........

It's a conspiracy I tell you, to bring down the decadent West using model trains as a trojan horse/5th column. We know the Chinese are in on it as they control the factories. Dark forces are at work. Our model train industry has been infiltrated by sleeper agents. Digital control? You realise the enemy could take over your layout and create utter mayhem?And soon there will be remote control :O Do MI6 know? Maybe that's why Corgi do 007 models? We should be told. What are those digital stay alive models doing whilst we sleep? Spying on us? Sending details of our activities back to Pyongyang? What if the North Koreans took over every layout in the country..........

Probably responsible for the sudden disappearance of Andy Y and the MODS as well  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

This could explain why my T9 started running fast in the opposite direction to normal on a siding without a buffer stop!

(but then I'm not DCC so perhaps not…but I'll blame it on fat boy anyway)

• RMweb Premium

There are, apparently, 170 new items/reliveries etc. Hornby's policy has long been to look at items which have performed well and do more of the same - hence the SR locos. The APT was one of the items which convinced Hornby that EMUs don't sell, so we're not likely to see that again.

CHRIS LEIGH

If you look at Simon Kohlers blogs you will see that he did consider reintroducing the APT , the issue was they couldn't get at the tooling. So it seemed then we could see it again.

If you look at Simon Kohlers blogs you will see that he did consider reintroducing the APT , the issue was they couldn't get at the tooling. So it seemed then we could see it again.

Yes, I remember that, and other comments made at different times and in different circumstances.

• RMweb Gold

"And so it was when I enquired how the locating and the packing of the APT tools was progressing I was informed that because of Health & Safety it was impossible to move the tools. The reason given was that it was just too dangerous!! The fact that in the past hundreds of tools had been picked, packed and shipped to China made no difference. It was just not logical but the H&E would not budge! I was dumb struck; there was just no arguing with the man.  He was emphatic.  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, I just simply turned around and walked away!  Later that day I removed the APT from the 2012 range!"

http://www.Hornby.com/news/simonsays/a-very-apt-occasion/

Presumbly someone has now managed to magically move it without dying or losing too many limbs, given that the Margate warehouse is apparently empty.

APT for 2016? ;)

Archived