27 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Do you feel the call yet, Mr Sheepsicherheitsgurtel - 

happy-sheep-7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Strangely enough.. I just looked for "Wee Fergie" to do a bit more weathering and upgrading..

949628137_WeeFergieNo3.JPG.2da92f011021fa85b387885004bcc98b.JPG

a very old Centre Models Kit - needs a bit of TLC and dirt!

Baz

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

The Sheep is in a ruminating frame of mind tonight. 

Such activity can be triggered in a variety of ways. 

An example of which would be the announcement of the L&NWR Precedent class. I'm a real sucker for pre-grouping stock and 2.4.0 tender locos in particular.  This is a really good looking loco and I quite like the idea of a small layout set in the late 1920s / early 1930s. 

Thinking back, we all have favourite layouts. Pendlebury, a 1930s LM&SR  terminus in P4 was much liked. Ian Futer's Lochside influenced the track plan for my current efforts. North Leith, a Scottish inner city terminus also remains a favourite. Layouts such as these sow a seed, which arguably provides influence for a long time thereafter. 

The recent releases of pre-grouping locos and in particular those Midland locos by Bachmann and now the L&NWR is very attractive..............and brings new possibilities.

On a personal level, there are so many possibilities and attractive projects its quite the little chap in a sweet shop scenario...

If we can now expect a loco, the class of which was withdrawn by the 1930s.......whats next? 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The Sheep is in a ruminating frame of mind tonight. 

ruminant: n. an even-toed ungulate mammal that chews the cud regurgitated from its rumen.

I thought you'd like to know that.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pre grouping locos ---- so that will be a J15 then.

J15    J15    J15    J15     J15 -------you are felling sleepy

Couldn't resist....................... hat.....................coat.......................gone!

• Funny 1

Pre grouping locos have a habit of inspiring entire layouts in my mind.

One minute I would like to see a Highland Railway Skye bogie 4-4-0, another, I rather fancy a GWR Barnum 2-4-0 or an L&Y Atlantic and so it goes on!

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

the announcement of the L&NWR Precedent class. I'm a real sucker for pre-grouping stock

Its definitely a worthy candidate for a small layout Rob, it certainly is appealing I must admit !

I have this sitting in my cupboard and make a strong-ish case for something to pull it ( if I ever get around to building it ?)...

766314411_LNWRBV.jpg.e69699c5831147951e96fc70f0373402.jpg

The only possible downside is the cost of the Precedent and how it performs out of the box.

When I consider the initial cost is more than the O Gauge kit ( yes it was a steal ) that I'm currently building I seem to have more for my money to my mind.

That said, I think if it is coupled up with some of the proposed generic coaches due out it would make a lovely addition for RTR.

G

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Pre grouping locos ---- so that will be a J15 then.

J15    J15    J15    J15     J15 -------you are felling sleepy

Couldn't resist....................... hat.....................coat.......................gone!

An E4 would ticketh the box.............That would a lovely choice. 

Looking back at my own main interests, a Johnson 2.4.0 would be nice. However, it was mooted by someone but if Bachmann had a pop at a Kirtley 0.6.0, how jolly would that be....

More mainstream would be a 2P 4.4.0 to a modern standard. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Pre grouping locos have a habit of inspiring entire layouts in my mind.

One minute I would like to see a Highland Railway Skye bogie 4-4-0, another, I rather fancy a GWR Barnum 2-4-0 or an L&Y Atlantic and so it goes on!

Indeed. The Hornby Peckett led to Sheep Dip being built. 

The Hornby Adams Radial led to Mutton. 

• Like 4

My bank account is most grateful for the fact that there is currently no versions of the Victory tank available in GWR condition.

I am also informed that it is about time I got stuck into layout building before buying any more items that I can't run on it.

Damn that female practicality and inarguable logic. Nothing to do with me hogging what is also meant to be her work room and music room I suppose.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I am also informed that it is about time I got stuck into layout building before buying any more items that I can't run on it.

Damn that female practicality and inarguable logic. Nothing to do with me hogging what is also meant to be her work room and music room I suppose.....

Take the hint, Rob. 

How about a small shunty project ?.......just to keep things ticking over you understand.

Maybe select a loco in stock as it were and build around that........or accidently buy a new one of course......Use the "Gosh, I'd forgotten I'd pre-ordered this.....totally slipped my mind...." ploy.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

I'll go with Mullie's subliminal message ;)

Didn't you already have a couple of J15's? 

I did. I moved them on........Monies accrued returned to the relevant fund. Another one wouldn't do any harm, I guess......

Hang on, what am I saying.......? 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Take the hint, Rob. 

How about a small shunty project ?.......just to keep things ticking over you understand.

Maybe select a loco in stock as it were and build around that........or accidently buy a new one of course......Use the "Gosh, I'd forgotten I'd pre-ordered this.....totally slipped my mind...." ploy.

Rob.

That could be tempting as I do have several small tank engines, however...

I do have boards built, track laid and partly wired up. I think it will have to be a get stuck in sort of mission and set up a few goals for this time Monday.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That could be tempting as I do have several small tank engines, however...

I do have boards built, track laid and partly wired up. I think it will have to be a get stuck in sort of mission and set up a few goals for this time Monday.

Spot on. That said, a small new project which can be blitzed in a short period of time with no loss of impetus and completed thereafter, is also appealing.

I reckon I could knock something up, subject to having everything in stock (and drying times) in less than a fortnight..............

Bu@@er......I've said it now........What the hell am I doing!?

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bu@@er......I've said it now........What the hell am I doing!?

I'm sure you'll find out soon. I hope it's not too much of a shock . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Inserting a missing letter, just for a change.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm sure you'll find out soon. I hope it's not too much of a shock . . . . . . . . . . .

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

An alternative take on animal husbandry?

Funny-Sheep-Facts-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 9