22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Damn. Now I've got my own future project thoughts wandering about the old GN and LNW outposts around Leicestershire.

The plan was not to distract.....:banghead:

3523741_0a023a13.jpg.240b7757beaf115bdba6f6b67698ad82.jpg

Lowesby_station_(geograph_3523746).jpg.de4dea4ff7d1b0e3b085d47298d129f0.jpg

Too weathered????

Nope, just too much static grass!

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 00:05, MrWolf said:

Damn. Now I've got my own future project thoughts wandering about the old GN and LNW outposts around Leicestershire.

The plan was not to distract.....:banghead:

3523741_0a023a13.jpg.240b7757beaf115bdba6f6b67698ad82.jpg

Lowesby_station_(geograph_3523746).jpg.de4dea4ff7d1b0e3b085d47298d129f0.jpg

Too weathered????

That's how it is, Weather you like it or not !

Now where did I leave my coat.........

Edited by DonB
clogged up hooves!

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's a nicely framed shot. Really like that dead tree. Wire home made job? 

It makes you want to look around it to see what else is in the picture. 

Thanks Rob.....

The poor quality of the image means that the 'tree' lacks a degree of sharpness. 

It's a section of root from a pine tree. Dried in the sun today and earth roughly brushed off. I shall dry it properly and see how it and the other bits turn out. 

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all. 

I regret to say that I have not made any progress with anything new. 

However, I have acquired a further, unscheduled, building for Woolney. A Pendon Wanborough barn popped up on Ewe-bay and was secured for what was considered to be reasonable price. 

In other news, a new photo emerges of Sheep Dip. I blame recent activity from Mikkel and Gedward.........they sowed a seed (!).....

Rob. 

20210403_205428-01-01.jpeg

Bl**dy WOW, stunning Rob.:good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

It's a section of root from a pine tree. Dried in the sun today and earth roughly brushed off. I shall dry it properly and see how it and the other bits turn out. 

Looks fantastic Rob

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Spooky:scared:

Are the trees pine tree roots again?

They are indeed, Steve. Simply washed and sun-dried. Obviously more to be done but plonked there to gauge it all. 

They totally change the look and feel of the layout. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, steve45 said:

They are very convincing Rob, will you be soaking in glycerine? 

Morning Steve. 

This method of preserving plant based things has been suggested before but I've not tried it. I think pages back it was Robin who mentioned it.  To be honest, I'm not really sure how to go about  it but I shall look it up. 

I've previously simply sealed using a liberal coat of matt varnish. However, I feel that these need to be properly sealed as the 'bark' is quite fragile and quick to remove itself if you're not careful. I was thinking of using a thin coat of diluted PVA.........but I don't want to lose any of the definition on the surface. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

This method of preserving plant based things has been suggested before but I've not tried it. I think pages back it was Robin who mentioned it.  To be honest, I'm not really sure how to go about  it but I shall look it up. 

I've only ever done this [glycerine] on seafoam and was just a case of leaving it to soak overnight in a washing up bowl.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Rob, matt varnish should be just fine. I have only ever used diluted glycerine on seafoam. To be honest, I don't bother doing it now.

6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've only ever done this [glycerine] on seafoam and was just a case of leaving it to soak overnight in a washing up bowl.

Thanks both. 

I shall stick with the Matt varnish then. I'm not sure where these trees will end up yet. They give a nice dimension to Sheep Dip but I fancy one or two on Lambton, if not Woolney. 

Much more by way of experimentation to do yet..

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both. 

I shall stick with the Matt varnish then. I'm not sure where these trees will end up yet. They give a nice dimension to Sheep Dip but I fancy one or two on Lambton, if not Woolney. 

Rob

I do hope you leave those trees in place on Sheep Dip, the transformation is quite marked and definitely a scenic improvement in terms of the overall aesthetics and juxtaposition of arboricultural artifices.

Sorry about that. Forgot myself for a moment.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both. 

Rob

Beware!

They will become very fragile with age (heard that before?) so think carefully about where you place them in relation to where your elbow might reach. Soaking them in glycerine will impart a little more strength and add a little flexibility.

On the other hand you could make a few spares quite easily and use those to replace the damaged ones later on.

When you're in the house on your own, put them in the microwave and blast the resident organisms for a few seconds. I have seen a tree such as these develop a distinct green tinge after a couple of months. Probably not ideal.

They (yours) do look good, though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with Mick. I did have a tree on 'Engine Wood' for many years, which originally grew in a hedgerow not far from Kernow Towers. In the end, I replaced it (with some stunning trees given to me by Re6/6, as it happens), because I wasn't quite satisfied with the way that I had done the foliage and it wasn't really consistent with the other trees on the layout, but it has also grown quite fragile, requiring me to strengthen various parts with PVA and then painting over it.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I do hope you leave those trees in place on Sheep Dip, the transformation is quite marked and definitely a scenic improvement in terms of the overall aesthetics and juxtaposition of arboricultural artifices.

Sorry about that. Forgot myself for a moment.

Commendable restraint, Darling. That said, I agree that the overall effect afforded by the trees and slate buildings is that of  a pleasant one. 

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Beware!

They will become very fragile with age (heard that before?) so think carefully about where you place them in relation to where your elbow might reach. Soaking them in glycerine will impart a little more strength and add a little flexibility.

On the other hand you could make a few spares quite easily and use those to replace the damaged ones later on.

When you're in the house on your own, put them in the microwave and blast the resident organisms for a few seconds. I have seen a tree such as these develop a distinct green tinge after a couple of months. Probably not ideal.

They (yours) do look good, though.

Good stuff Mick. Microwave noted. I'm no stranger to utilising household appliances for hobby related matters. I once cleaned the bare crankcases of my 1960 BSA 650 in the dish washer. Regretably, I got sidetracked and they were located by the previous Mrs Sheepbloke, prior to me extracting said crankcases and making good........Broke no ice when I pointed out how good a job 'her' dishwasher had done.

Rob. 

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I once cleaned the bare crankcases of my 1960 BSA 650 in the dish washer.

3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

they were located by the previous Mrs Sheepbloke

Cause and effect?

My first wife liked decorating, so I thought it would be a good idea to buy her a steam wallpaper stripper for her birthday...

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm no stranger to utilising household appliances for hobby related matters. I once cleaned the bare crankcases of my 1960 BSA 650 in the dish washer. Regretably, I got sidetracked and they were located by the previous Mrs Sheepbloke, prior to me extracting said crankcases and making good........Broke no ice when I pointed out how good a job 'her' dishwasher had done.

Rob. 

The reassembly can also be a giveaway. Crankcases in oven tends to make house smell funny. Crank in freezer, bearings at room temperature (on mantelpiece) an understanding partner is important. Failing that, one that is out all day. You can cook a surprise romantic dinner to hide the smell. It's a small price to pay...

• Like 4