Hopefully a minimum of profanity will have it running like a railway engine. I was going to say running like a watch, but they just tick and remain stationary, so that's no good.

Whatever you choose for your motive power or how to control it, I'm certain that the layouts will still have that sheep signature and I'll be enjoying watching them develop.

KBO.

Rob

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have taken delivery of yet another diseasal. 

Not an East Anglian loco or so I understand but it looks the part. 

20211124_145215-01.jpeg.7123cb8279de37d6a2eb33710f5ade15.jpeg

Rob. 

They did all end up on the GE lines at Stratford. I think they stayed close to home base though.

Heljan mechanisms are normally pretty good. Check the wiper pickups and wheel treads/backs are clean from paint overspray, and as they’re spoked wheels that no wires etc are fouling at low speeds. If no improvement comes from those checks/cleaning and a running in period, My next port of call would be the motor. I’m not aware of any reliability issues with this model from the past releases.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Excuse the blatant intrusion Rob, here is a link to a DC model I purchased at the weekend arrived today and converted late last night to DCC.

It's owner had looked after it very well and with a quick service this is what can be done when converting an old analogue to DCC, I think it was first released back in 1994 so you don't always have to purchase the all singing / dancing models made today. If it runs well on DC it's worth converting in my opinion and with certain DCC decoders you can also run on DC too.

Just a bit of food for thought once you get into it further down the line.

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Just caught up with your thread Rob. Glad you enjoyed the Thornbury show and I'm liking the diesels you've got. I do like the NBR Type 1, I think it's a fine model, mine was slightly hesitant at first but after running in it runs like a dream, I'd def recommend the rollers. 

How are you getting on with the thinned down coupling on the 08? That's a good idea, I'd like to try that, it looks very unobtrusive, much better than a standard TL.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Just caught up with your thread Rob. Glad you enjoyed the Thornbury show and I'm liking the diesels you've got. I do like the NBR Type 1, I think it's a fine model, mine was slightly hesitant at first but after running in it runs like a dream, I'd def recommend the rollers. 

How are you getting on with the thinned down coupling on the 08? That's a good idea, I'd like to try that, it looks very unobtrusive, much better than a standard TL.

Morning Steve, 

Good to hear from you. The thinned down coupling seems to be working okay. The height of the couplings on the wagons is important. I have had to adjust one or two which were a bit high.

In theory it shouldn't matter as the height of the 'top face' of the loco coupling remains the same ( I only reduce the lip on the bottom)  but if it droops it will reduce the available 'hooky on' area. This could lead to spontaneous uncoupling by mischievous wagons. 

Other than that, yes, I'm happy with how it looks and works thus far. 

Re the NBL, jury's out. It looks lovely and I agree, it needs running. However, I would prefer to investigate further for old grease etc before doing that. With spares seemingly like hen's teeth, I am loathe to risk stripping gears etc. I therefore need to set aside some time when I'm unlikely to be 'required elsewhere' as the bogies/gears look quite tricky to get at/ strip/ reassemble. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hiya Rob,

I've just had a quick catch up on here, nice to see you've joined the DCC club. Did I see that you have an NCE Power Cab? That's what I use and I find it nice and simple and user friendly, how are you getting on with it?

Nice to see some early diesel power on the layout as well. :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hiya Rob,

I've just had a quick catch up on here, nice to see you've joined the DCC club. Did I see that you have an NCE Power Cab? That's what I use and I find it nice and simple and user friendly, how are you getting on with it?

Nice to see some early diesel power on the layout as well. :good:

Morning Wayne. 

Well, not fully joined yet only dabbling, having been kindly loaned the gubbins.  I can see the advantages but will probably confine the DCC stuff to the diseasals, for now at least. 

I've not tried anything other than the Powercab but it seems to suit my simple tastes. 

R

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2021 at 18:04, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Yep, Diseasals, DCC and auto uncoupling are much to the fore............Gilbert's fault....well......ish. 

I have taken delivery of yet another diseasal. 

Not an East Anglian loco or so I understand but it looks the part. 

However, whilst at medium speeds it's quiet and smooth, slow speeds, especially cab first is quite juddery and not the ticket. 

I shall give it a good run as it's not clear how much running its had. 

20211124_145215-01.jpeg.7123cb8279de37d6a2eb33710f5ade15.jpeg

20211124_145242-01.jpeg.b82a2c11f939514d1560f396a8d7366d.jpeg

Rob. 

Checking while I still have the book (as I've advertised it for sale). they ER Classification 8/4, ER Route Availability Group 4, and were allowed over almost all of the then surviving branch lines in ex GE territory in the November 1961 published book.  as already noted I don't think they were allowed to wander too far once their foibles and unreliability was understood but I actually saw half the class in traffic including, I'm fairly sure, at least one of them in Acton Yard in their early days.   

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Checking while I still have the book (as I've advertised it for sale). they ER Classification 8/4, ER Route Availability Group 4, and were allowed over almost all of the then surviving branch lines in ex GE territory in the November 1961 published book.  as already noted I don't think they were allowed to wander too far once their foibles and unreliability was understood but I actually saw half the class in traffic including, I'm fairly sure, at least one of them in Acton Yard in their early days.   

Hi Mike, 

That sort of adds some tenuous weight to one such visit to Project X..............no one could account for how it got there or if in fact it got back without breaking down or blowing up but turn up it did. No doubt at some point Norman Lockhart will produce a photo of this, given his uncanny knack of doing so.............

I thank you. 

R

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

No doubt at some point Norman Lockhart will produce a photo of this, given his uncanny knack of doing so.............

i think his young nephew went to Stratford ? shed ( well London anyway ) with his mates on a £ 19/6d Day Rover in the early '70s and took this, he wasn't too good with a camera as it was his mum's box Brownie and she didn't know he'd borrowed it ! 

Happy dayz and the shed foreman didn't mind either ......

720382714_bwlocopics.jpg.b31a4080521e9f3a708b6c391d7bb2a1.jpg

Mr.K.Odak was on a roll in those days ! 

G

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

For a factory weathered jobbie it passes but once I'm happy with the running, I will tinker. 

20211124_224021-02-01.jpeg.5ca8cebc85c75fcf22aa843763c374e2.jpeg

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Re the NBL, jury's out. It looks lovely and I agree, it needs running. However, I would prefer to investigate further for old grease etc before doing that. With spares seemingly like hen's teeth, I am loathe to risk stripping gears etc. I therefore need to set aside some time when I'm unlikely to be 'required elsewhere' as the bogies/gears look quite tricky to get at/ strip/ reassemble. 

Bit like the real things after NBL shut.

Edited by Asterix2012
Highlight text
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

20211124_224021-02-01.jpeg.916184472e250a93bc2927948d5fbef4.jpeg

For a factory weathered jobbie it passes but once I'm happy with the running, I will tinker. 

Rob. 

Would Sir like a copy of my Rule 1 annex (ER version 1958 edition)?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Would Sir like a copy of my Rule 1 annex (ER version 1958 edition)?

Morning Chris, 

I will be applying S.S.O.P. ( Standard Sheep Operating Procedure ) regarding any...ahem...odd movements........

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

I will be applying S.S.O.P. ( Standard Sheep Operating Procedure ) regarding any...ahem...odd movements........

Rob. 

Oh yes....odd movements.....as from the anachronistic school of Class 24 utilisation IIRC

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Oh yes....odd movements.....as from the anachronistic school of Class 24 utilisation IIRC

Um........oh.......you noticed then..

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Um........oh.......you noticed then..

Rob....we spent the whole weekend at Thornbaaaary using a (rather splendid and reliable) Class 24 that went out of service before most of those wagons were either in use or in those liveries.....just saying..

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Rob....we spent the whole weekend Thornbaaaary using a (rather splendid and reliable) Class 24 that went out of service before most of those wagons were either in use or in those liveries.....just saying..

Chris

Ah ! Roger that (!) 

As is/was/will be readily apparent I have gaps ( large !) in my knowledge of such things and this includes the later 80s. By 1985, I was pretty much done with watching the trains, as it were.  

As per recent 'developments',  I am only just clawing my way into the world of mid to late 60s diseasels.......

I was however, somewhat seduced by the class 24 on Sunday. Top loco. 

On that basis, I will probably end up with a Bachmann equivalent. D5036  was an East Anglian loco up until 1967 ish. Photos suggest it was certainly popping up on the Framlingham branch prior to that .......which will do. 

Incidentally, what are the preferences regarding Kadees on PMB, Chris. 

I know we chatted about the kadees but cannot remember discussing this. 

Reading various accounts, generally it seems to be #17 or #18. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah ! Roger that (!) 

As is/was/will be readily apparent I have gaps ( large !) in my knowledge of such things and this includes the later 80s. By 1985, I was pretty much done with watching the trains, as it were.  

As per recent 'developments',  I am only just clawing my way into the world of mid to late 60s diseasels.......

I was however, somewhat seduced by the class 24 on Sunday. Top loco. 

On that basis, I will probably end up with a Bachmann equivalent. D5036  was an East Anglian loco up until 1967 ish. Photos suggest it was certainly popping up on the Framlingham branch prior to that .......which will do. 

Incidentally, what are the preferences regarding Kadees on PMB, Chris. 

I know we chatted about the kadees but cannot remember discussing this. 

Reading various accounts, generally it seems to be #17 or #18. 

Rob. 

17s-19s mostly - I use  the 148 "Whisker" coupler and variations in boxes rather than NEMs on some RTR and all kit built stock..face of coupler level with buffer seems to work..

https://www.kadee.com/documents/coupler_handout.pdf

KD coupling fitting

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Chris. 

I shall digest. 

It seems Project X is developing into a test bed for all sorts of radical ideas.......

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Returning to the Class 16......

The running unfortunately mirrors the prototype. It does run but there is a slight judder at low speeds and it will not 'grind'to a halt in a satisfactory way and we know my thoughts on such things. Think Panniers....

I've had a good look. Gears are all fine and rotate freely. One bogie had copious amounts of white sticky grease, now removed.

The cylindrical motor is retained by two O rings around it which engage in slots in the chassis. There is also a spigot on the chassis which engages at one end of the motor but nothing at the other end. In theory, the motor could move about.

I think something is 'loading' something else and is thereby being restricted. The motor seems to turn smoothly and does not appear tight. 

I know some have disconnected one bogie, others have applied a shim between the two halves of the gear towers to ease possible pressure on the clamps around the worm housings. 

I was going to return it due to the running but I want to perservere with it, hence the exploration. It's a lovely loco and a fine model. A classic heart over head situation............

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

17s-19s mostly - I use  the 148 "Whisker" coupler and variations in boxes rather than NEMs on some RTR and all kit built stock..face of coupler level with buffer seems to work..

https://www.kadee.com/documents/coupler_handout.pdf

Re6/6 showed me a pointy stick Kadee uncoupler the other day, just prod it down into the couplings and twist, most ingenious!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3