• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Proof you actually can make a silk purse from a pigs ear.

Actually, Rob used the all-new Hornby LMS brake, not the 40-year-old ex-Airfix one, and it's a pretty decent model to begin with.

He's just breathed life into it in his inimitable style. Anybody else notice he's getting even better at it?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on stepping away from that particular role, Rob. You let slip a while back some of the unconscionably long hours you were putting in, and that is simply not sustainable forever if health is not to suffer. I hope a rest and a less demanding role in future leave you more time for what you enjoy most. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's the thing about retirement, you're never without things to do. There are people around who's role it is to ensure that you are fully occupied!

Morning CK. 

Not wrong there. Not withstanding the time of year, there's plenty going on....apparently. 

All good though. Even managed a glass of port the other morning. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Quite. Not sure what the other people waiting to see the Doctor thought but I was happy. 

R

Good old NHS Wales - you obviously opted for the "club lounge" waiting area...

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You got to SEE a doctor !! You must have friends in high places. Here we can only get a telephone consultation if we ring immediately after 8.00am

And wait in the "queue", and then appointments are only for that day. 

Due to the "plague" I am waiting for a hospital follow-up appointment but there's a 14 week waiting list for non-Covid cases.

Welcome to the retirement brigade, The difference for me has been that I have plenty to do, but age-induced slowing means that things take a little longer so that I am convinced that I am busier than I ever was, as the "to do jobs" pile up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I can understand your decision to make the change Rob, there's nothing like feeling as though you're pulling the cart all by yourself to make up your mind.

I'm a good way off retirement age yet, if they ever let us (The memsahib is convinced that her generation will have to give employers notice before dying.) After my father retired, he maintained that he was so busy he didn't know how he ever found time to go to work.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do next. 

KBO.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Similar to Rob I’m a very long way off this; about 20 years. To be honest I’m not sure if retirement will be an option for me by then!

I hope you get to do all things you’re hoping to with your new found freedom mate. Obviously subject to ‘jobs’ provided by those around you. 

Jay

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I got 'retired' last month, but with about 6 months pay. Still some years off my pension, I have managed to find some model railway-related 'work' for a local company, so keep looking around Rob, you never know what's around the next corner.

• Friendly/supportive 15

Rob, congratulations on your semi retirement, I was lucky enough to retire 11years ago and can honestly say it’s the best job I have ever had. However you may find that life is so busy you will wonder how you ever had the time to go to work!

Stay well and enjoy the freedom

Best regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, 

Indeed. I haven't stopped. 

However, I have managed to carry out a few tests regarding the Kadees and have now installed the magnets on Project X and added couplings to a selection of wagons and locos. Still learning and it's very much a work in progress. 

My plan ( there's that word once again) is simply once I'm happy with the operation of them, I will pick up on actually progressing the scenic side of the layout. 

I'm also adapting to DCC and in particular, managing 'momentum' in respect of loco settings which is an interesting concept for the newby..........especially on a small layout..............

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm also adapting to DCC and in particular, managing 'momentum' in respect of loco settings which is an interesting concept for the newby..........especially on a small layout..............

That’s why a circle or simple over of set track of 3rd radius is helpful. You can see how far they run and adjust momentum to suit. I’ve come across some DCC settings on tuning the motor response where the loco sets off at full speed, decelerating to a full stop.  On rollers or a circle this works fine, on a shelf layout, not so much. Don’t ask.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PMP said:

I’ve come across some DCC settings on tuning the motor response where the loco sets off at full speed, decelerating to a full stop.  On rollers or a circle this works fine, on a shelf layout, not so much. Don’t ask.

Ouch! I hope it wasn't expensive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1