• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

By way of an update, Project X  now has a name and henceforth will be known as.........

EWE. 

20211213_154535-01.jpeg.d3b7360a8e35d70e4f48a957f3cc94b7.jpeg

Letters acquired, layout nameboard to follow. 

Rob. 

WEE !!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

By way of an update, Project X  now has a name and henceforth will be known as.........

EWE. 

Rob. 

Ewe wot, ewe wot... Ewe wot ewe wot ewe wot...

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The remote uncoupling worked well after all the trials and tribulations involved in setting it up for the first time. 

Repeated 'testing' should confirm this to be the case. 

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

EWE. 

Rob. 

Getting back to some sort of normality and following idea exchanges, I note that you've opted for the magnets between the rails Rob and pleased to hear of your success with the Kadees.

You know that I am going along similar ways with my "side project", may I ask if they will eventually be disguised with your method of concreting or similar ?

Nice work so far and keeping the wooly theme too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Ewe wot, ewe wot... Ewe wot ewe wot ewe wot...

Having problems mate ?

Need some help ?

Here ya go......

2fhg55.jpg.0d7b95542aa84949d79453ce8c04d1df.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, bgman said:

Getting back to some sort of normality and following idea exchanges, I note that you've opted for the magnets between the rails Rob and pleased to hear of your success with the Kadees.

You know that I am going along similar ways with my "side project", may I ask if they will eventually be disguised with your method of concreting or similar ?

Nice work so far and keeping the wooly theme too.

Morning Grahame. 

I'm not sure yet is the honest answer. The aesthetics are quite poor but I accepted that this is more about understanding the operation. I will be painting the track next and will leave the magnets until last. I'm thinking of a suitable finish to perhaps  suggest a barrow crossing. 

I also have a couple more locos to chip and add kadees to. An 03 and a class 15 are next. Adding the kadees to the class 15 is proving tricky and is not simply 'plug in and go' due to the height of their version of the NEM coupling pocket. However, I'm not  willing to remove the pocket itself and have hatched a cunning plan of which more anon ( whether it works or not !) 

Once done, I will look to sort out the magnets. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I am sure I have read somewhere of the small cylindrical power magnets that fit down between the sleepers being used, two sets of two or three of them in a row offset to one side, the right I guess, instead of the slab magnets. This might have been to do with the Dapol N gauge ones. I don’t know if it might be worth experimenting with as they could be easier to disguise maybe.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I am sure I have read somewhere of the small cylindrical power magnets that fit down between the sleepers being used, two sets of two or three of them in a row offset to one side, the right I guess, instead of the slab magnets. This might have been to do with the Dapol N gauge ones. I don’t know if it might be worth experimenting with as they could be easier to disguise maybe.

That is something I have seen done to good effect by others but having experimented with it myself using various several sizes and positioning I haven't been successful with neodymium magnets. Rob and I have discussed this and I have opted to use the undertrack Kadee delayed uncoupling magnets for my project as it is a tried and tested method which hasn't failed I'm happy to say.

G

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, bgman said:

That is something I have seen done to good effect by others but having experimented with it myself using various several sizes and positioning I haven't been successful with neodymium magnets. Rob and I have discussed this and I have opted to use the undertrack Kadee delayed uncoupling magnets for my project as it is a tried and tested method which hasn't failed I'm happy to say.

G

But be aware that the undertrack magnet is pretty strong and may affect steel axles leading to unwanted shuffles etc. The "between the rails" version while unsightly does not affect them as badly...I have placed mine near a beridge so it has the minimal visual impact.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

may affect steel axles leading to unwanted shuffles etc.

Yep ! Guess how I know that !!! :lol:

I have found some spare non-ferrous axles to replace those affected, and thank you for highlighting it here.

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, bgman said:

Yep ! Guess how I know that !!! :lol:

I have found some spare non-ferrous axles to replace those affected, and thank you for highlighting it here.

G

Bachmann do do some brass wagon wheels which helps - 36-034 - not cheap IIRC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

EWE. 

Rob. 

These foolish things remind me of...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

The Heljan class 15 and one of the Bachmann 03s have now  had their decoders fitted. The models were poles apart in terms of the ease that this was accomplished. The class 15 was a bit of a faff, mainly to get the body off. 

The 03 was simply two screws, job done. 

Both have now had kadees added. Again, the class 15 needed a bespoke coupling creating as the pocket height was too high. A Kadee no 17 was dismantled and a new pin made from brass rod to mount the knuckle lower. This seems to be holding but a Mk 2 will probably emerge. 

The 03 simply needed two no. 18s plugged in. 

I now have two 08s ( Hornby ), an 03 ( Bachmann )  a class 15 (Heljan ) and a class 24 ( Bachmann, factory sound ). All decoder fitted and kadee equipped. 

All have had their addreeses added using their own numbers , D2009, D3509, D3986, D5036 and D8233. 

Of these, 2009, 5036 and 8233 were East Anglian based locos in the the period modelled ( {1965 }

3509 {Cornish, complete with W.R  yellow route disc }and 3986 {Swansea} might need a bit more explaining.  I dont really want to re-number them so will leave well alone for now. 

I'll do a further 03 and that will do. Obviously more than enough motive power for a layout that's 4ft x 16 inches and operates on a one engine in steam basis.........so to speak....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
More guff added.......
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

....Obviously more than enough motive power for a layout that's 4ft x 16 inches and operates on a one engine in steam basis.........so to speak....

Rob. 

One engine in smoke?

Edited by Ramblin Rich
trimmage
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bgman said:

G

Have a look at the DCC Guy, about 10 minutes in he discusses the use of neo magnets. I went on ebay and bought some but haven't as yet tried them, but they are a lot more discreet than the kadee slab

Just now, steve45 said:

Have a look at the DCC Guy, about 10 minutes in he discusses the use of neo magnets. I went on ebay and bought some but haven't as yet tried them, but they are a lot more discreet than the kadee slab

Sorry this is the link to youtube

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Have you ran these since fitting the decoders Rob? Interested to hear if there’s a dramatic improvement on the DCC system. 

Jay

Evening Jay, 

Taking each in turn, 

The Hornby 08s are just splendid. If I had to pick, 3509 is marginally better than 3986. The slow speed running is just spot on and they are a delight to play with. Any better than on DC ? Hard to call really. I would say yes but both were really very good to start with, better than the Bachmann equivalent. Both are fitted with DCC Concepts Zen decoder. 

Bachmann 03. 

Pretty good again. The gears are a tad noisy but that's nothing to do with DCC. Doddle to fit and very controllable but again good to start with on DC. Fitted with Bachmann 6 pin. 

Heljan Class 15. 

Very smooth but though slows down very nicely, it's a bit abrupt to stop/start. I've spent the evening tinkering with a few of the CV settings but no change. I'm thinking of trying a different decoder. The current Zen jobbie works really well in the 08s and benefits from a wired in plug to attach a stay alive but perhaps not the best for the 15. 

Bachmann 24. 

Factory sound job. Lush. Very controllable. 

Still getting used to it all but yes, quite encouraging. 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Hi Steve, 

I've done quite a bit of reading up on these. 

I have some neo magnets, about 30 I think..I had a dabble on a test bit of track. I wasn't convinced and for a first foray into kadees, I've decided to stick with the slabs. Not ideal but I think it's more important to get a bit of experience with the whole idea first. I've not discounted using neo magnets though. I can try different ideas on the next layout, building on the experience gained with this one. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2021 at 22:16, NHY 581 said:

Evening Jay, 

Taking each in turn, 

The Hornby 08s are just splendid. If I had to pick, 3509 is marginally better than 3986. The slow speed running is just spot on and they are a delight to play with. Any better than on DC ? Hard to call really. I would say yes but both were really very good to start with, better than the Bachmann equivalent. Both are fitted with DCC Concepts Zen decoder. 

Bachmann 03. 

Pretty good again. The gears are a tad noisy but that's nothing to do with DCC. Doddle to fit and very controllable but again good to start with on DC. Fitted with Bachmann 6 pin. 

Heljan Class 15. 

Very smooth but though slows down very nicely, it's a bit abrupt to stop/start. I've spent the evening tinkering with a few of the CV settings but no change. I'm thinking of trying a different decoder. The current Zen jobbie works really well in the 08s and benefits from a wired in plug to attach a stay alive but perhaps not the best for the 15. 

Bachmann 24. 

Factory sound job. Lush. Very controllable. 

Still getting used to it all but yes, quite encouraging. 

Rob. 

As a postscript to the above, I tried the class 15 ( still chipped )  on Bleat Wharf which is still on DC of course. 

20211214_230150-02.jpeg.ce9bd0893587d7a26bcdfbe8c2ca8a0b.jpeg

It runs just as well but the start/stop is infinitely better on DC. It will accelerate from a barely perceptible crawl and decelerate accordingly. It will not do this on DCC............

More to follow methinks.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1