Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

Rapido have put out the 4th edition of their UK newsletter today which includes a minor update on the Stirling Single including some early CAD pictures.

If you haven't subscribed yet you can so so from the left side of their website - http://rapidotrains.com/index.html

And now also posted on the web. Link to online link here.

It does contain nice (preliminary) CAD pictures of the Stirling Single.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest spet0114

Latest Rapido UK newsletter has gone out, there will be an update on the Stirling Single at the Rapido stand at Warley followed by another UK newsletter sometime in the week after Warley.

Any sign of the update or newsletter?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I apologize for the lack of updates here. With the focus on finalizing the APT-E production the Single has, unfortunately, taken a bit of a back seat. Now that the APT-E is well into the final production stages we can get back to concentrating on other projects.

As we mentioned in the newsletter, the CAD work for most of the details is now nearly complete. We're hammering out the last few details of the drive system and gearing now. Some screen captures are included below. (Before anybody starts screaming, that horrendous thing sticking out of the cab floor is BOTH ends of the tender coupling!)

88f4027e-0ed0-4acd-8d76-08ca730b83c2.jpg

The comlpete newsletter can be found here. If you're not already a subscriber, please sign up. We'll have further detailed updates in the next issue.

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

• Like 8

Hi All,

I apologize for the lack of updates here. With the focus on finalizing the APT-E production the Single has, unfortunately, taken a bit of a back seat. Now that the APT-E is well into the final production stages we can get back to concentrating on other projects.

As we mentioned in the newsletter, the CAD work for most of the details is now nearly complete. We're hammering out the last few details of the drive system and gearing now. Some screen captures are included below. (Before anybody starts screaming, that horrendous thing sticking out of the cab floor is BOTH ends of the tender coupling!)

88f4027e-0ed0-4acd-8d76-08ca730b83c2.jpg

The comlpete newsletter can be found here. If you're not already a subscriber, please sign up. We'll have further detailed updates in the next issue.

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

Link was not working properly, the newsletter can be found here

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-UK-Volume-6.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=Xp03V7-GjGU

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite surprised no one mentioned it , but there was a Stirling Single on display on the Locomotion stand at Glasgow, along with an APTE. Of course it might just have been a kit and not a test short. I'm not really interested in one, so just gave it a cursory glance.

Quite surprised no one mentioned it , but there was a Stirling Single on display on the Locomotion stand at Glasgow, along with an APTE. Of course it might just have been a kit and not a test short. I'm not really interested in one, so just gave it a cursory glance.

When I visited Shildon shortly after the original announcement there was a kit built Single on display, long before the first cad images (I think) so it could be that one but I wasn't at Glasgow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Would it be reasonable to hope that three months on from Rapido's last contribution to this thread, some sort of progress may have been made?

Why don't you email Rapido and ask them?

Would it be reasonable to hope that three months on from Rapido's last contribution to this thread, some sort of progress may have been made?

Well.. it MIGHT be....  :dontknow: 

We are finalizing a few details of the design and will have an update as soon as we have final drawings to show. Thanks for you patience! I'm looking forward to this one as well!

Bill

• Like 1

Why don't you email Rapido and ask them?

Not worth the effort. Manufacturers never pay attention....  :mosking:

Seriously, this is always a good idea as a first recourse. Going straight to the manufacturer with a question first is the best, sure way to get an accurate answer - especially since they're the only ones who really know what is going on! . Rapido and NRM/Locomotion do try to be as up-front as we can be on projects.

Having said that, don't assume that a lack of response within an hour means that either we just don't care, we're not going to make it or we're going out of business! We can get a bit busy (or in my case, may be travelling) so it might take a day or two for a response.

Bill 

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, does anybody produce (or will anyone be producing) suitable rolling stock for this to haul?

The advantage of the APT-E (and the prototype HST) is that it's a multiple unit, so comes as a complete pack that's authentic straight out of the box. But the Stirling Single is just a loco, so it needs something to haul to be authentic.

I have to confess that this is one of the things that's put me off ordering this a bit. It's going to look a tad silly trundling round the oval without anything behind it, and I'm not enough of a collector to buy a loco that I have no intention of running.

There are some options but they all involve kit building. Bill Bedford does resin and brass carriages which would be appropriate, or with some luck and effort you might find some D & S kits. Howlden stock is mainly what you're after, either 6 wheel or bogie.

There are some other obsolete kits for Howlden designs but they crop up quite rarely.

There are some options but they all involve kit building. Bill Bedford does resin and brass carriages which would be appropriate, or with some luck and effort you might find some D & S kits. Howlden stock is mainly what you're after, either 6 wheel or bogie.

There are some other obsolete kits for Howlden designs but they crop up quite rarely.

There are also the Diagram 3D laser cut body kits, which make up quite nicely but require separate sourcing of underframe, etc.  There was a thead on these last year, started by Mike Trice.