Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

• RMweb Gold

Surely they can manage to put a good taper on the inside of the rear edges of the cab, especially that hugely thick area across the top? Job No1 for any buyer who owns a file if they don't......

I'm guessing you know the reason for the thicker cab walls now  ....saw you speaking to Bill..... ;) didn't want to interupt.

EP looked really good and interesting how they're doing the drive too, beyond me for my attempt.

Something that has not beewn mentioned here as far as I can see is the following statement from the last Locomotion Models newsletter

"Unfortunately, demand for the Sturrock tender option has been low as the majority (approximately 85%) or orders were for the original/current tender.  It is with great regret that we have decided to cancel the Sturrock tender option as it is not financially viable for the museum to progress further.  Every customer who ordered the Sturrock tender variant will receive a letter or an email to let them know our plans and they will be arriving from today onwards. "

Shame for those of us (like me) who wanted the Sturrock tender option, as I would have liked it how she was running in the 1980's, still a model of No;1 with the "wrong" tender (as far as my preferred option goes) is better than no model at all.

I'm guessing you know the reason for the thicker cab walls now  ....saw you speaking to Bill..... ;) didn't want to interupt.

Yes, there's some logic to it being like that, given that the cab will be metal and needs to be as heavy as possible for traction purposes. The assurance that it will be rounded to emulate the appearance of the chunky rolled edge of the real thing is good news. Inspection of the actual sample in the glass case at the Locomotion stand gave a better impression of the appearance than the official photograph suggests, although I still have a feeling that the rear edge of the roof appear a little to thick at the apex.

• Like 2

I would be most interested - if Rapido can find the time once the model is on sale - in a brief essay summarising the difficulties of getting a concealed and competent drive into such a tiny and awkward prototype which also has to go around set track curves. I was very pleased to order this model, not least with the thought of 'someone else can work out how to overcome the many obstacles!'.

Lots of factors forced us to increase the price for the Stirling single, but all those who paid either a deposit or paid in full when ordering prior to October when we temporarily suspended orders, will still pay the original price agreed at the time of order...

That's entirely decent. What you might consider, is asking if the preorder customer is willing to pay some or all of the now necessarily higher price as a donation. Let's just say that some are very keen on the continued health of our national railway museum.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would be most interested - if Rapido can find the time once the model is on sale - in a brief essay summarising the difficulties of getting a concealed and competent drive into such a tiny and awkward prototype which also has to go around set track curves. I was very pleased to order this model, not least with the thought of 'someone else can work out how to overcome the many obstacles!'.

I spoke to Bill on the Rapido stand and the drive is to the 8' driver and the trailing wheel so effectively a 4-4-0, the motor is in the firebox.   After all the difficulties I've had in motorising GN singles I'm interested to see this.

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Bill on the Rapido stand and the drive is to the 8' driver and the trailing wheel so effectively a 4-4-0, the motor is in the firebox.   After all the difficulties I've had in motorising GN singles I'm interested to see this.

That's interesting as the Bachmann 'Emily' does the same thing except to the rear bogie wheel

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94209-emily-laid-bare-a-stirling-effort/

Guest Midland Mole

Something that has not beewn mentioned here as far as I can see is the following statement from the last Locomotion Models newsletter

"Unfortunately, demand for the Sturrock tender option has been low as the majority (approximately 85%) or orders were for the original/current tender.  It is with great regret that we have decided to cancel the Sturrock tender option as it is not financially viable for the museum to progress further.  Every customer who ordered the Sturrock tender variant will receive a letter or an email to let them know our plans and they will be arriving from today onwards. "

Shame for those of us (like me) who wanted the Sturrock tender option, as I would have liked it how she was running in the 1980's, still a model of No;1 with the "wrong" tender (as far as my preferred option goes) is better than no model at all.

I had rush to Google to double check that the Sturrock tender was the smaller one.

Had it been the bigger tender that was cancelled, I would not be interested in the model. :)

- Alex

Lots of factors forced us to increase the price for the Stirling single, but all those who paid either a deposit or paid in full when ordering prior to October when we temporarily suspended orders, will still pay the original price agreed at the time of order. The new price is for new orders only.

We didn't want to put the price up but unfortunately there was no other option but we all agreed it was the right thing to do to honour the original prices to those who had handed over their hard earned cash! Who says we don't have a heart?? ❤️

Will that apply to those of us who ordered the Sturrock tender version? I'd still like a model of the Stirling Single with either tender...

Edit: ignore that - had missed the post where emails are being sent out about exactly this! Time for a trip to Specsavers, methinks...

Edited by Skinnylinny

Guest spet0114

I'm genuinely sad that the Sturrock tender version has bitten the dust, though it does afford my wallet some relief. The next question is what model will replace it in my 'want' list. I'm afraid it won't be the Dean Goods - too many errors - but the possibility of a third version of Bachmann's LBSCR atlantic is rather mouthwatering.

I would be most interested - if Rapido can find the time once the model is on sale - in a brief essay summarising the difficulties of getting a concealed and competent drive into such a tiny and awkward prototype which also has to go around set track curves.

It wouldn't be a "brief essay" but rather more like War and Peace! :>)

Bill

I'm genuinely sad that the Sturrock tender version has bitten the dust, though it does afford my wallet some relief. The next question is what model will replace it in my 'want' list. I'm afraid it won't be the Dean Goods - too many errors - but the possibility of a third version of Bachmann's LBSCR atlantic is rather mouthwatering.

It is sad, though, personally speaking, if I had to choose, and price might have dictated that I would have had to choose, I would go with the large tender version; tempting as it is to recreate the 1938 railtours running alongside Gresley streamliners. 

If this model is not to be 'cabinet fodder', a train of, say, 1880s coaches would be something to give thought to.  Joining the GN Society would seem a good move, followed by the purchase their volumes on coaching stock. 

If I could ever afford a second model, it would be to represent the class in its Edwardian years, on secondary services, as I could run side by side with the excellent Locomotion/Bachmann large Atlantic, which I am pleased to say that I have.  This would involve blanking off the apertures in the driving wheel splasher and attempting to match the colour/finish.  Would I ever dare?

If Bachmann do produce an umber Atlantic, and the tooling glimpsed at Warley suggests that Bachmann could, that would be another 'must'. 

What with the Hornby Peckett and the Hattons/DJM King .... Expensive, but happy, times!

• Like 2

... It looks as if the flat faces of the spokes have been captured well. I like!

And the rest. It looks like the thing it's meant to be, the template for all future maximum express steam power types in the UK. Key features: 

Introduces the leading bogie to the UK, confering stability at speed.

Cylinders between bogie wheels, a strong and stable construction, dynamically offering good damping of the swaying couple.

Trailing truck for track kindliness and to eventually accomodate a wide firebox.

Relatively large tender with loads of coal and water for sustained power production and a chimney top 'volcanic eruption'.

It wouldn't be a "brief essay" but rather more like War and Peace!

Well Bill, our longer established RTR suppliers of UK model railway have generally neglected to explain just what the difficulties can be, and the need to laboriously prod around for the best solutions with the fewest compromises. This all to often leads to a general customer perception that it is all a piece of cake. Go on, be yet more different from all the rest...

• Like 3

I'm with you there! 

Lovely, lovely Stirling Single, but pretty much a complete revision of the Oxford Dean Goods would be necessary before I'd touch that one with a bargepole, and, sadly, that applies both to the National Collection as well as the 3 catalogue releases.  I am afraid that I, too, will transfer my affections (and the contents of my wallet) to the Bachmann Brighton Atlantic (if they do the early condition version in 1911-2 umber livery, that is!!!)

I am very buoyed at the prospect of the Single. Like Bachmann, Rapido is a manufacturer that inspires a good deal of confidence. Over used word, but it is an icon, and how wonderful to have some 1870s Victorian steam in pretty much 'as built' condition?

Can we have Hardwicke next?  If so, please ask Rapido.  Bachmann could probably do it, but they seem to have a back-log, and Rapido will have learnt so much about producing a Victorian express locomotive.  Please don't ask Oxford!!!

I'm with you there! 

Lovely, lovely Stirling Single, but pretty much a complete revision of the Oxford Dean Goods would be necessary before I'd touch that one with a bargepole, and, sadly, that applies both to the National Collection as well as the 3 catalogue releases.  I am afraid that I, too, will transfer my affections (and the contents of my wallet) to the Bachmann Brighton Atlantic (if they do the early condition version in 1911-2 umber livery, that is!!!)

I am very buoyed at the prospect of the Single. Like Bachmann, Rapido is a manufacturer that inspires a good deal of confidence. Over used word, but it is an icon, and how wonderful to have some 1870s Victorian steam in pretty much 'as built' condition?

Can we have Hardwicke next?  If so, please ask Rapido.  Bachmann could probably do it, but they seem to have a back-log, and Rapido will have learnt so much about producing a Victorian express locomotive.  Please don't ask Oxford!!!

Top model.

Couldn't resist a Hardwicke though.

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you there! 

Agree absolutely but the thing is Oxford are cheap, remarkably cheap compared with everybody else (let alone Rapido - undoubtedly now the home of excellence) and 'cheap' means prices can be kept down although one no doubt gets what one pays for.   Maybe one day Oxford, especially if closely supervised during development, might be able to achieve higher standards but they need to understand that will involve extensive research by those who know what they're looking at and looking for and that it will take longer and cost more.

The Carflat gives me hope although I haven't compared Andy's pics with the correct prototype and there might be one or two things adrift (but Carflats came in many varieties) and the real crunch will come with the Mk3 coach no doubt but thus far they do not wholly inspire condfidence.

• Like 1