Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

FFS. :) :)

You obviously like it a teeny little bit because you must have been looking at it to find the video and liked it enough to share said video.

I was asked to supply the stock, and watched the video being recorded. It was then a matter of finding it. My views on FB remain those stated above!

Edited by drmditch

Sorry to disappoint you Darius, but this is the sort of thing with which I populate my layout.

attachicon.gifJubilee assembled.jpg

Built from a kit designed by an Englishman and manufactured in England using parts sourced in the UK (the only imported item being a Japanese motor), running on hand built trackwork from components also produced in England. Quite simply, I choose to model a particular era and railway and the only way to do that is to make my own models. If I relied upon a RTR manufacturer or commissioner then I couldn't do what I want to do.

And a truly magnificent specimen it looks, I can only admire such craftsmanship, as indeed I’m sure you would of any fine model, regardless of whether it were produced in Beijing or Birmingham? I wonder where the brass originated? Or come to it, the lead and tin to produce the solder and the phosphorous in the flux?

It seems I may have touched a nerve, judging by some of the replies discussing the provenance of manufactured products.

My original post simply questioned the accurate use of the language in the video, in that this is a model of a British loco, but not a British model of a loco. Would a ceramic mug with a Union Jack and made in India be a British mug? Somehow I don't think so. As a society we perhaps aren't bothered about where something is made, unless we use that to justify a purchasing decision. So a NIssan car manufactured in Sunderland is probably regarded as a Japanese product by purchasers, because of the long established reputation for reliability of Japanese products. Is a BMW manufactured in one of their USA factories a German or American car. If we claim that the design philosophy is Nissan or BMW, then we can justify this view to define the provenance of the vehicle.

So is this a Canadian model as Rapido were involved in the design and development (although some English people were involved in the process)? But then so were a number of Chinese who manufactured and assembled it.

But does it really matter? Why should it if  a thousand or more are sold to enthusiastic collectors and modellers around the world, as Andy points out. A delightful looking model and one which clearly meets a large pent up demand. 

Cor thats very nice.

You need a new Bubble for your Spirit level though, looks not to be working on the slight incline.

The spirit level is on the level behind the incline - just to prove I hadn't rotated the camera to exaggerate anything. Anyone care to guess what the weight of the load is behind it?

The rear of the loco running plate, and the steps, (still) seem not to be sitting down to match the height of the tender soleplate and steps in that image above. The loco appears relatively "nose-down" to my eyes. Unless this is simply an assembly / re-assembly error for that specific model it is not, for discerning enthusiasts, an acceptable state of affairs in a model at the price of this one.

A British prototype commissioned by a British museum thanks to a Yorkshireman, scanned by a man from Kent, designed by a Great Western modeller from Connecticut working for a Canadian company and made in a factory in China with warranty work provided by a man in Durham and ordered by people all over the globe. I think that's a fairer balance.

...... c'mon - we need to know whether the guy's a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man ( or just an incomer, of course ) ......... never mind where the metal's mined or which ocean the plastic's been recycled from !

...... c'mon - we need to know whether the guy's a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man ( or just an incomer, of course ) ......... never mind where the metal's mined or which ocean the plastic's been recycled from !

I'm not sure if he's a Man of Kent by birth rather than domicile. He has a very, very impressive CV though! https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1117804/

I very much suspect we will be stunned by this model upon its arrival. And all the more impressive as an ambitious UK steam-outline debut for the manufacturer.

I really ought to take a knife to one to adjust it to suit my layout's timeframe.  To be quite frank, I doubt I'd be able to bring myself to do so.

• Like 1

I very much suspect we will be stunned by this model upon its arrival. And all the more impressive as an ambitious UK steam-outline debut for the manufacturer.

I really ought to take a knife to one to adjust it to suit my layout's timeframe.  To be quite frank, I doubt I'd be able to bring myself to do so.

Regrettably I'd have to take a gas-axe to one to suit MY layout's time line ....... though a handful of G.N.R. locos DID work in my neck of the world they'd all gone to make razor blades long before Grouping - let alone Nationalisation !

Regrettably I'd have to take a gas-axe to one to suit MY layout's time line ....... though a handful of G.N.R. locos DID work in my neck of the world they'd all gone to make razor blades long before Grouping - let alone Nationalisation !

You mean people actually model post-Grouping...? Naaa - you have to be kidding... :-)

• Like 4

It is beautiful and Rapido has done a wonderful job in productionising a working museum quality model. The finish looks superb.

My personal problem is that I would prefer to spend the money on a kit and get pleasure from building something rather than just taking it out of a box....

Horses for courses.....puts on tin hat and ducks....

• Like 1

It is beautiful and Rapido has done a wonderful job in productionising a working museum quality model. The finish looks superb.

My personal problem is that I would prefer to spend the money on a kit and get pleasure from building something rather than just taking it out of a box....

I'd be quite happy to spend the time building a kit ( and I'd - er - probably fit finer handrail stanchions )  but I know for a fact that I've not got the patience to create a paint finish like that ................... so if someone's done all the hard work I'd be happy to take a ready-to run loco out of the box and use my hours building appropriate rolling stock to run with it.

• Like 2

Neither are mutually exclusive.  There is much satisfaction to be gained from building, either from a kit or scratch. I have far too many kits to build (...ever...) so I'm more than a little grateful for some lovely finished models - especially the much-neglected pre-grouping era, a period of huge innovation, a kaleidoscope of designs and a truly dazzling array of lovingly-crafted liveries.

Time aside, and presuming one has the requisite patience, the biggest bogie with kits is getting a professional finish. Let's not kid ourselves - only a minuscule percentage of kits ever get finished to anywhere remotely close to the standard of this Rapido loco. Hat's-Off then to Rapido, not only for producing a lovely model, but having the balls to delve into the era that spawned railway modelling interest in the first place, rather than the more anodyne offerings of the second half of the Twentieth Century. More pre-Grouping please Rapido...! How about one of the truly exquisite Armstrong 4-4-0's.......  :happy_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But there aren't any kits.

The last ones I've seen on Ebay went for £100+ for what were inaccurate and poor quality whitemetal bodies.  Having tried unsuccessfully to motorise a Kitmaster  and failed due to the tight clearance at the front bogie as well as actually fitting a motor inside, I only have admiration for Rapido in what they've accomplished with this model. 

It will arrived just in time for the summer holiday season. The problem is that they will be sending stuff out to people whom will be away for 2 or so weeks. And the post office these days sends things back if they are not collected within a short period of time.