Gresley Statue Kings Cross Altercation

• RMweb Premium

Ask members of the public to name two famous locomotives and they will probably answer Flying Scotsman and Mallard. Ask them who designed said locomotives and I imagine most will not know.

Maybe he should get a kilt instead?

• 2 months later...

Bob,

I'm not a member of the Society, my father is, so I have rather let the whole sorry matter pass me by. I do feel entitled to have a view as a contributor to the project and had a short correspondence with Andrew Dow after he kindly wrote to thank me for my contribution. I was never in favour of the duck, but felt (and still feel) that a statue is long overdue and should be supported.

From what I have picked up in passing about the controversy which seems to have blown up, the phrase 'out of all proportion' could have been made for it. I don't know Gresley's grandsons but the fact that every group connected with any of his works wheels them out almost every time there's any sort of event effectively grants them a measure of authority to comment on his 'legacy' in the broadest sense and they've done so on this occasion. How that has been done, what contact there was before and after the project was devised and announced and the conduct of both parties since is really a matter for those directly concerned. From the distant outsider's viewpoint it's all very unseemly and it's to be hoped it doesn't damage any or all of the groups collectively working to commemorate and preserve Gresley's achievements.

Ivan,

Where did you read there will be a duck? Last news here shows no evidence of one.

• RMweb Gold

I like the comment he makes 

“They are not members of the Gresley Society. They are not contributing to the cost of the statue.

I wonder if the majority of the society voted to keep the duck whether he would accept the decision. The other quote is

The Gresley Society, which is instigating and paying for the statue, has 12 councillors. All voted against the duck and dismissed it

I wonder why he didn't mention that those who had come up with the design had resigned.

I said on here before that taking the duck off makes it a plain statue of a man that 99% who pass through Kings Cross would never had heard of, keeping it invites interest and gives it some personality.

I personally think the decision has made the society look a bit silly, they may well lose existing members and put off possible future ones. I do hope this is not a lesson in how to push a society into  a fast terminal decline. 

Anyone for contributions to a bulk buy of yellow plastic bath ducks? Then we could share them out and every time one of us passes through KX, superglue it to the base (assuming someone has removed the previous one).

Guerilla Duck Army?

Edit - previous, not precious as I wrote first time!

• RMweb Premium

I asked SWMBO (who knows nothing about trains, but has heard of Mallard) about this statue and when I told her the reasoning for a duck being put at his feet she "got" the point of it.

She thought the family's stance was just silly!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

If a everybody at RMWeb put a pound into the hat we could commission a big bronze mallard duck with HNG riding on it's back.

The duck would have a leg ring with 4468 on it. :jester:

Keith

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The usual J Vine standard.

Bricklayer is here and I asked his opinion, he had heard of HNG but could not remember why, he listened to the "debate" and said the Gresley Society need to rethink the decision. Not exactly an accurate poll result but one persons opinion who has no vested interest.

....what a load of b#####ks!!.......make the base of the statue suitable to fit the wretched duck on a removable base and then just remove the duck for 6 months of the year before refitting the darn thing for the next 6 and so on.

Is it really so difficult?

Dave

....what a load of b#####ks!!.......make the base of the statue suitable to fit the wretched duck on a removable base and then just remove the duck for 6 months of the year before refitting the darn thing for the next 6 and so on.

Is it really so difficult?

Dave

Doesn't even need that. If the mock-up is accurate as regards the statue's intended position, just put a tiled mural behind it depicting a a flight of ducks & 4468 at full chat.

P.

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't even need that. If the mock-up is accurate as regards the statue's intended position, just put a tiled mural behind it depicting a a flight of ducks & 4468 at full chat.

P.

They would have to keep it off the wall as they aren't allowed to drill into the Grade 1 listed structure, even the accompanying small plaque has to be fitted into the mortar!

Keith

Archived