Freightliner MJA twins & HIA hopper

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't let me upload photos earlier, then had to go to work. Will try and attach photo. (Sorted)

Cheers,

Mick

dammit my previous post makes me look like a nutjob now you've edited the post above

double dammit, look like more of a crazy person now this is the first post on a new page

wibble!

Edited by big jim

dammit my previous post makes me look like a nutjob now you've edited the post above

double dammit, look like more of a crazy person now this is the first post on a new page

wibble!

You could try to recover it by pointing out he's forgotten to put the track in .................................. :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i knew there was something missing

ive just realised that with the addition of these hoppers to my stock that my wagon fleet is now mainly Dapol stuff, something i would have never imagined 5 years ago

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

Did you imagine you'd be driving engines that look like an explosion in an Opal Fruits factory ............................ :jester:

Agreed, Dapol have done some good stuff ..................... the China clay tanks, container flats and especially (IMHO) the pocket container wagons.

• Like 1

Technical question, Are these HIA wagons the same/near design to the 6955's (Fabfnoos) that run up Peak Forest and through Westbury in Nacco grey? I know they have little changes like the recessed Brake wheel and other small issues but if they are of the same design then Dapol could be on to a winner by making a few small changes and making the wagons that I've seem run at Westbury behind a Class 59 and with a proper 59 being made, Here will be a perfect chance to produce a great wagon and loco combination.

Mathew

• RMweb Premium

Technical question, Are these HIA wagons the same/near design to the 6955's (Fabfnoos) that run up Peak Forest and through Westbury in Nacco grey? I know they have little changes like the recessed Brake wheel and other small issues but if they are of the same design then Dapol could be on to a winner by making a few small changes and making the wagons that I've seem run at Westbury behind a Class 59 and with a proper 59 being made, Here will be a perfect chance to produce a great wagon and loco combination.

Mathew

Do you mean the one mentioned back in post#24?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Chopped off the errant door lock cylinders and mounting brackets - less than 5 minutes of a job.

I've also taken out the inner two upper body ribs to represent 369049 upwards. Aboout 10 minutes.

I need to experiment with some green paint.

Cruel close up.

post-408-0-73848100-1458771042_thumb.jpg

Currently trying to find interior pics for weathering purposes. They mostly look unpainted and rusty around the top inner edges. I have one pic that looks like the outer sloped section was painted originally, but now wearing off.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Mainly rusty dusty stone brown and weathering to grey metal on the insides of HIAs I have seen up at Peak in the past. Oh and big damp patches where the wagons have been through Dove Holes tunnel lol.

Cheers Paul

Chopped off the errant door lock cylinders and mounting brackets - less than 5 minutes of a job.

I've also taken out the inner two upper body ribs to represent 369049 upwards. Aboout 10 minutes.

I need to experiment with some green paint.

Cruel close up.

attachicon.gifHIA.jpg

Currently trying to find interior pics for weathering purposes. They mostly look unpainted and rusty around the top inner edges. I have one pic that looks like the outer sloped section was painted originally, but now wearing off.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi ews60002, they do at first glance look similar in the style of hopper body and the end slopes but the IIAs have an IWB (Intermediate Wheel Base) of 7743mm whilst the HIAs are shorter at 7040mm. The hopper doors look the same but the IIA ones appear longer, still a set of three clamshell doors like the HIA. The IIAs appear to have a longer gap between the bogie pivot and the end of the headstock and given that the IIAs are fitted with the TF25 style low-track force bogies with the additional dampening arm that might explain the length increase. You don't tend to get many IIAs up at Peak Forest coming from the Cemex Dove Holes quarry as DB Cargo have several rakes of HTA and HTA-E ex-coal hoppers doing virtually all of the bulk aggregates traffic except for traffic using bogie box wagons.

HTH Paul

Mathew

Purchased a rake of these.  A superb model.  The only niggle really is one or two buffer heads glued in at funny angles, but they look as thought they shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove and re-position. Other than that an absolutely superb model with a superb finish.  Happy!  :yes:

Edited by darkjunglemung

• RMweb Premium

Nearest I've got to a pic of the inside (taken Nov 2013), plus some close-up pics that may be helpful.

Cheers,

Phil.

There's only 27 white HIAs - I think that's the entire fleet in one rake.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Just having a little test of my newly arrived ones. It really is a great model, excellent detail, run flawlessly and are really heavy for a wagon (212g each). Looking forward to testing them next week on the helix on the proper layout. One things for certain the Bachmann 70 is not up to the task, it doesn't weigh nearly enough to get decent traction. Bachmann's 66 will be fine I'm sure.

Excellent work Dapol, well done. Also as Jim mentioned earlier my Dapol wagon collection is considerable now.

Just having a little test of my newly arrived ones. It really is a great model, excellent detail, run flawlessly and are really heavy for a wagon (212g each). Looking forward to testing them next week on the helix on the proper layout. One things for certain the Bachmann 70 is not up to the task, it doesn't weigh nearly enough to get decent traction. Bachmann's 66 will be fine I'm sure.

Excellent work Dapol, well done. Also as Jim mentioned earlier my Dapol wagon collection is considerable now.

The weight is pretty close to scale for a loaded wagon. I make that 93.8 tonnes. (.212kg x 76.2 x 76.2 x 76.2)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Martyn and Phil for the interior pics.

There interior of the model does have the supporting ironwork. It looks like the way forward is to paint the interior with a suitable rust finish. Getting into to airbrush it was going to be diffucult, but removal of the bogies and four screws and the shell comes apart easily to airbrush the interior. The side is held in place with a couple of clips.

post-408-0-91145400-1458867972_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-24652600-1458867974_thumb.jpg

The green numbers on the end hopper panel are my experiment to match paint with the existing finish where I've cut out the side ribs for the later build wagons. I'm leaning towards Revell matt 48 with a dash of Humbrol gloss 3.

As I've got a number to do, it'll be a few days before more pics.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that the HIA and the Fabfnoos were almost the same but alas it's not to be. I now have a rake of 18 running around the layout with a ttg 60 and they are great, The Bachmann 60 did well and the 70 did eventually pull them but it was a struggle.

Mat

Just having a little test of my newly arrived ones.

Have to agree...Dapol have certainly got a good focus on modern image wagons...

And the quality is excellent...

Edited by martin_l_jones

Closest thing I have to an interior shot - though bear in mind they were nearly new!

Some serious supporting ironwork on the inside of that body...

Thank you for that shot. Now I know exactly where the brake pipes go. Lovely wagons. Excellent job, Dapol.