Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

Ah Derails is a shop not an event! Thanks. I read your post as ...'earlier posts on Derails' (thinking this reference was to the bogie problems)  then 'who (as in who?)  tested mine thoroughly...I must be failing .....

Phil

Posts on here .Derails Models .Google the website.Run by "Little Dan".Worth further investigation.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian for confirming that the Hornby model doesn't have traction tyres.  I might well be tempted............ :)

Thanks Ian for confirming that the Hornby model doesn't have traction tyres.  I might well be tempted............ :)

Only the odd model has those now....all of them Hornby...T9,Schools,Midland 2P etc.

Just collected 30584............

Bloody sodding fantastic. So glad I waited for the Hornby Radial.

Appears much finer than the Oxford.

Top drawer Hornby.

Rob. ( pleased of Cardiff )

Bur side by side it is near impossible to tell which is which, in black even the boiler does not show, but it may be important to you. The chimney flange base on the Hornby shows just as bad as the boiler underside on the Oxford, and frankly is far more noticeable.

Hopefully Hornby will amend the chimney, and sort out some springing of the rear bogie, or the ungeared driving axle.

Don't say I am partisan, I have both makes now. If either had come out on it's own it would be award winning, and now the locos have all had the same running, the Oxford is still smoother and dead quiet.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Posts on here .Derails Models .Google the website.Run by "Little Dan".Worth further investigation.

Just done the site. Good price as well. Presumably if I phone  to purchase and ask for testing they will confirm that.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Bur side by side it is near impossible to tell which is which, in black even the boiler does not show, but it may be important to you. The chimney flange base on the Hornby shows just as bad as the boiler underside on the Oxford, and frankly is far more noticeable.

Hopefully Hornby will amend the chimney, and sort out some springing of the rear bogie, or the ungeared driving axle.

Don't say I am partisan, I have both makes now. If either had come out on it's own it would be award winning, and now the locos have all had the same running, the Oxford is still smoother and dead quiet.

Stephen.

Sorry but I have to disagree. The Hornby offering stands out over and above Oxford. The tyres on the Oxford wheels are thicker, the under boiler malarky looks awful. The Hornby radial is overall much finer. I am glad I waited and not rushed to buy the first one out. The Oxford radial is very much second best. My example is silent and smooth.

I have wanted a model of one of these ever since seeing them in various albums as a teenager. Having waited over thirty years, I am not disappointed.

*** Please note, I have no connection to Hornby other than being a very satisfied customer !!!!! ****

It is exactly what I expected and I will be buying more.

Rob.

post-14122-0-56709300-1468471756_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Having looked long and hard at samples of both Oxford and Hornby radials at the NEC last November,I decided to wait for the Hornby as did a number of us from this forum who attended.Having survived the disappointment of my first having to be retuned,I still persevered because I saw it was a beautifully finished and accurate model of its prototype and....potentially......a smooth runner.My second example bears this out and is a joy to see in all its antique elegance cruising in stately manner around my layout.I reflect that my late grandfather was just 12 years old when the prototype was constructed.If you want photographic evidence both Norman Lockett and Ivo Peters spent hours recording their final years on the Lyme Regis branch,some of it in colour...."Southern Steam in the South and West" OPC(now there's irony for you) by Mike Arlett and David Lockett.Try Amazon for cheap copies....but readily available.

Which you choose is up to you and your budget.Put the two alongside each other and decide.I did.For me,the Hornby has that extra refinement that truly appeals.

• RMweb Gold

Just done the site. Good price as well. Presumably if I phone  to purchase and ask for testing they will confirm that.

Phil

Most of (if not all) the Radials here have already been tested briefly however if you wanted an extended test as per Ian's model then just request at the time of ordering - we'll be happy to do that! :) Best to ring early as possible though so we have time to test and get it despatched today as our courier leaves at 2:30pm.

Edited by Derails Models

Received my Hornby radial in LSWR livery today. Lovely loco. Hornby have done a cracking job on this one. Now I have compared it to the OR radial which I also have in LSWR livery. Initial observations in comparing the two are that the Hornby livery is of a lighter shade. The OR loco is very slightly noisier in both directions. I also noticed that the front and rear cab windows on the Hornby loco are slightly larger than the OR loco. Not sure which is the more correct as my vernier caliper needs a new battery.

Such a shame that Hornby is not doing one in 1930's Maunsell green livery. means I will have to get the OR version when it comes out.

Cheers,

Chris

I was away out of the country when I read that the Hornby radials had arrived. Been looking forward to one of these and was worried that  I was going to miss out. However, I've just got back  and bought  a green one from Rails this morning and it's already in the post!  

Great!   More when it arrives.

As an aside, I've found a pic of  488 when preserved on the Bluebell painted in the more complicated  Drummond LSWR scheme (with the brown lining) with the Drummond chimney so there's another version for the future...

Following my review of the all new Hornby R3335 - LSWR 4-4-2T Adams Radial 415 Class, in stunning LSWR Lined Green Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a Bluebell Railway themed dinning rake.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling mixed rake of 3 Coach with ease, whilst running smoothly and silently at the same time. 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJDYx6qXQg

post-20663-0-94119400-1468743385_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Good evening everyone, well its been some time in the planning but here is my guide to the Adams Radial tank locomotive featuring the Hornby model of 488, my dad's kit built loco from the 80s and the real thing. It's been fascinating putting this together so I really hope you will enjoy the end result

• Like 5

Good evening everyone, well its been some time in the planning but here is my guide to the Adams Radial tank locomotive featuring the Hornby model of 488, my dad's kit built loco from the 80s and the real thing. It's been fascinating putting this together so I really hope you will enjoy the end result https://youtu.be/WLvwmvHLMO4

Like the video very intesting great CDI work on your layout Mike.

Like the video very intesting great CDI work on your layout Mike.

Thanks mate, I learned a great deal when I made my Southern Electric video, so put it into practice with this one using blue screen this time. Still very many hours of work but I have been delighted with the finished product.

Lovely locos and very special to me :) 

• Like 2

488 turned up yesterday from Rails, very well packed as usual, delivered by Royal mail. As I'd only ordered it Saturday morning, an excellent service.

What a cracking model!  Wheels look good.  Lots of detail, what stood out for me was  especially the cab detail, and the connecting rods, 

Up in a rather hot loft this afternoon, runs very smoothly and quietly.  Can also run very slowly, straight out of box. I did lubricate it first. 

Haven't had the problems that Ian did with the drive train, so far run half an hour or so in each direction.

Having pickups on the front bogie wheels as well as the driving wheel seems to work reliably, it didn't hesitate at all.  However, in one or two places on the track the bogie wheels could drag rather than turn, so maybe the pickups need a slight adjustment - but this could settle down with more running. 

It will undoubtedly be run again tomorrow... :-)

And it's got sprung buffers......

• Like 4

I also got round to do a small review on my one, again very nice model, well put together, nicely weighted quite a bit heavier than the Oxford version, but plenty of small details be aware of the hand rails very fragile, only small critic of the model is the amount of room for a DCC chip.... not much room at all due to how the bunker is which is pretty much the same as the real thing, where it slops downwards towards the coal door... that's only a small negative and an hour or so can be rectified.

I have also added the black outline to the wheels, which improves the look of them some what after the video was done.
Sadly with my layout on the mainland still and being far away from it, sadly haven't had the chance to photograph it at it's proper home... Anyway looking forward to the
Ex-LSWR coaches.

Thanks to De-Rails Liittle Dan, for the model as it was challenging to get it to the Isle of Wight, but super, and good to chat to :)

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 5

Mine has arrived and have been running it all morning. Wonderful model. Thanks Hornby.

I won't compare to the Oxford Rail version but I will say they look great together. You really can't go wrong with either.  I feel lucky that I have both.  Brexit is being very good to me, I'm buying quite a bit while the exchange rate is so favorable.

488 has been running again this evening, an hour and a quarter, in both directions. That makes it a bit over 2 hours now in total. The tendency I noticed yesterday for the bogie wheels to occasionally drag rather than turn seems  to have gone. Perhaps the pickups have worn in a bit. 

Does look very impressive running, imho, a rather stately progress!  As one might expect from  a William Adams design of 1882 and built in 1885.

I was looking at my Hornby M7 and T9, both of which have pickups on their bogie wheels, and run very reliably.   Those bogies  seen to have more longitudinal movement than the Radial tank.  Bertiedog's suggestion in post 351 to remove the washer above the spring to give a little more movement to the bogie therefore seems  a good idea.

[The bogie arrangement on the first batch of Hornby T9s was another story of course :-) ]

Talking of bogies, apparently Adams was a pioneer of the use of bogies for locomotives.

So a good little model of a very historic locomotive. One that has survived from  1885 to, well, the present  with few changes to its appearance  is pretty good going! Perhaps it will run again on the Bluebell sometime....

One warning, I knocked off the cylinder drain cock rods,  ok just needs a bit of superglue to fix them back but very easily done!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

Have to say your dad made a fantastic job of his model. There's a couple of times where the Hornby model lifts the inner wheel of the front bogie, but your dad's seems better balanced and doesn't do this.

Very many thanks, yes he did a great job and I have noticed the Hornby one lifting its wheels, not sure why yet.

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived and have been running it all morning. Wonderful model. Thanks Hornby.

I won't compare to the Oxford Rail version but I will say they look great together. You really can't go wrong with either.  I feel lucky that I have both.  Brexit is being very good to me, I'm buying quite a bit while the exchange rate is so favorable.

Just wait 'til after your vote has taken place. :jester:

• Like 1

More running of my 488 last night. The front bogie seem to have settled down, and the wheels don't "stick" at all, so I'm guessing the brass pickups have bedded in.

I've now tried it on a train. I added coaches (mainly Hornby Maunsells then a Bachmann Mk 1 then Mainline 57' coaches with metal wheels. [Well, they  look a bit Maunsell-ish. :-) ]

I got up to 8 coaches which the loco was quite happy with with no slipping.  9 coaches was however too much.  The layout is pretty flat and this was on 30" curves.

The loco was equally happy with this  load running both forwards and backwards.

So it can pull far more than it will need to and looks great skimming along with 2 or 3 coaches.

I also tried it running slowly, alongside a Kernow BWT on a parallel line, and it will just creep at a barely perceptible rate, 

Looks like I've got a good'un!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More running of my 488 last night. The front bogie seem to have settled down, and the wheels don't "stick" at all, so I'm guessing the brass pickups have bedded in.

I've now tried it on a train. I added coaches (mainly Hornby Maunsells then a Bachmann Mk 1 then Mainline 57' coaches with metal wheels. [Well, they  look a bit Maunsell-ish. :-) ]

I got up to 8 coaches which the loco was quite happy with with no slipping.  9 coaches was however too much.  The layout is pretty flat and this was on 30" curves.

The loco was equally happy with this  load running both forwards and backwards.

So it can pull far more than it will need to and looks great skimming along with 2 or 3 coaches.

I also tried it running slowly, alongside a Kernow BWT on a parallel line, and it will just creep at a barely perceptible rate, 

Looks like I've got a good'un!

All good stuff which suggests it should be able to handle a prototypical load on a reasonable gradient.

John