Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• RMweb Gold

All good stuff which suggests it should be able to handle a prototypical load on a reasonable gradient.

John

It does have a surprising ability to punch well above its weight.Picking it up,you become aware of a quite substantial "mass".

Does anyone have any advice on fitting DCC decoders to the Hornby Adams? I have tried to install a Hattons direct 8-pin decoder but the body won't go back on properly, the chip seems to foul the roof of the decoder cavity. I can't see how there is enough room to fit a Hornby wired chip either.

Agree with that, the model is surprisingly heavy. Also runs well over assorted Peco pointwork  [including my "reduced radius" modified point :-)  ]

Got the books on SR branch lines and locos out  to look at what stock was hauled on the Lyme Regis branch. 

Pictures show:

One or 2 coaches, a single coach being a Maunsell brake (a single coach has set number 101 on end). Also through coaches off trains from Waterloo, one pic shows 30584 with a 3 coach Bulleid set, # 970, in July 1959.

Also (wonderfully) heavier through trains on summer Saturdays that needed double headed radials. 30583 and 30584 on 8 August 1959, Bullied set 353 leading, but end of train not in view.

In suburban use days, 428 in Mortlake station in 1916 with what appears to be a 5 coach suburban train.

Pics of the Bluebell show 488 on 1 and 3 coach trains.

Also, the locos worked week on and week off on the Lyme Regis branch, one stabled on the branch and the others at Exmouth Junction. So each week, a radial would have run up the main line to Axminster. Light engine? Or did they put it on a stopping train? Or double headed it?  More research here I think!  Light engine movements on the layout...

Sorry if info like this has already appeared somewhere on the thread, I'm finding this very interesting.

Apart from being very well detailed and finished, the performance of the model is more than adequate for the sort of trains the radial would have pulled. Excellent!

• RMweb Gold

A summer Saturday on the SR West of England main line was a truly fascinating experience with "TC" for every branchline then in existence west of Salisbury.In the case of Lyme Regis,the 1:00 pm from Waterloo was the service that conveyed the through carriages. This portion and one for Sidmouth was detatched at Templecombe and went forward on the 3:34 pm stopper to Exeter.My source for this is "Southern Steam in The South and West". ( Norman Lockett ).Apart from which,I spent more than a few hours at Yeovil Junction,Salisbury and Exeter Central. The prolonged shrill of the whistle of Arthur 30453 as she sped through Yeovil Junction on an up Waterloo extra will ring in my ears forever.And then of course my own return trip to a spotting day at Salisbury behind airsmoothed 35003 in both directions...more audible memory.

• Like 3

It does pull very well indeed.   Very informative and entertaining video, Mike. There have been some very good videos posted on this thread.

Hornby say that 488 is their second most popular seller of the moment (after the HST 40th anniversary model).

Hey, this is actually my 1000th post on RM web!   :O

• Like 1

It does pull very well indeed.   Very informative and entertaining video, Mike. There have been some very good videos posted on this thread.

Hornby say that 488 is their second most popular seller of the moment (after the HST 40th anniversary model).

Hey, this is actually my 1000th post on RM web!   :O

First off many congratulations on your 1000th post  :sungum:

Thanks for the kind comments, I try hard lol

• RMweb Premium

30582 has arrived here.  I had promised myself I'd complete (so far as the RtR catalogues allow) the SR steam fleet for Dorset / Devon once I had seen reviews of both brands.  Whilst I only own the one I'm happy with it and to my mind it looks better than the Oxford version.  It also runs perfectly well though getting the brake rods on was a little tricky.  

I almost persuaded myself to not invest.  There will be a need to downsize the collection in the foreseeable future and the Radial has nowhere to call home.  But for now I'm glad I got one and it will have at least a few outings on the existing layout using suitable SR stock and in the company of other suitable SR steam locos.

• Like 1

Well, I got my 2 Hornby radials yesterday, which compliment 1 Oxford and 1 K's Kit build.

The K's is a long behind these and has retired!

I will get Oxford's EKR sound one too.

Despite having eventually 4 RTR radials, 3 of these are of the preserved member in various guises. One Hornby and one Oxford version are in BR colours. The two stand well togethor on the layout and you don't really notice the differences at first.

Close inspection of course does show the lack of daylight under the boiler and the front number plate being too high on the Oxford one. The Hornby is the heavier of the two. Sure the Hornby is overall better but not drastically so. For example running a 1990s A3 next to a modern A3 would show huge differences even at a glace. However these two makes of Adams can happily sit side by side on shed and not shock anyone.

They are big tank locos for a power rating of 1P.

• RMweb Gold

What coaches (other than the ex-LSWR rebuilds) would be suitable for running with a Radial? I dont think any Bulleids or Mark 1's were seen on the branch other than as through coaches, were they?

• RMweb Gold

What coaches (other than the ex-LSWR rebuilds) would be suitable for running with a Radial? I dont think any Bulleids or Mark 1's were seen on the branch other than as through coaches, were they?

o

Hornby Maunsell corridors,Bachmann BR suburban non corridor in unlined crimson.....often seen as a rake of three....two corridor and one non corridor.Even one Maunsell brake end is correct.It depended on the volume of seasonal traffic.

• RMweb Gold

In Southern Steam in the South and West by Mike Arlett & David Lockett (OPC) there is a photo, dated June 1960, showing 30584 on a 3-coach train, the maximum load permitted for a single Radial on the branch.

The branch set is a Maunsell "2-set W", a BCK plus SO, in this case formed with the van in the middle. The additional coach is a BR Standard 64' non-corridor second, coupled to the passenger end of the BCK. Train is heading towards Lyme Regis so loco chimney first then the n/c 2nd, then BCK then SO. 

These sets were formed quite late and AFAIK only ran in green livery. It's unclear from the photo whether the non-corridor coach was in crimson or green.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hi everyone

Really delighted that Trasacord granted me permission to use one of their sound tracks to make this video.

So this time you can hear a really good quality version of a Adams Radial in action.

Hope you enjoy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Agree with that, the model is surprisingly heavy. Also runs well over assorted Peco pointwork  [including my "reduced radius" modified point :-)  ]

Got the books on SR branch lines and locos out  to look at what stock was hauled on the Lyme Regis branch. 

Pictures show:

One or 2 coaches, a single coach being a Maunsell brake (a single coach has set number 101 on end). Also through coaches off trains from Waterloo, one pic shows 30584 with a 3 coach Bulleid set, # 970, in July 1959.

Also (wonderfully) heavier through trains on summer Saturdays that needed double headed radials. 30583 and 30584 on 8 August 1959, Bullied set 353 leading, but end of train not in view.

In suburban use days, 428 in Mortlake station in 1916 with what appears to be a 5 coach suburban train.

Pics of the Bluebell show 488 on 1 and 3 coach trains.

Also, the locos worked week on and week off on the Lyme Regis branch, one stabled on the branch and the others at Exmouth Junction. So each week, a radial would have run up the main line to Axminster. Light engine? Or did they put it on a stopping train? Or double headed it?  More research here I think!  Light engine movements on the layout...

Sorry if info like this has already appeared somewhere on the thread, I'm finding this very interesting.

Apart from being very well detailed and finished, the performance of the model is more than adequate for the sort of trains the radial would have pulled. Excellent!

Changeover took place on the Saturday so that two locos were available to work the through coaches to Waterloo which, in the peak season would sometimes amount to a Bulleid 5-set so the branch set would have been "parked" whilst it was being worked.

In latter years, after the Ivatt tanks took over, the changeover continued so that the loco could be given shed attention and I remember the branch coaches working an Axminster-Exeter local early on Saturday afternoons behind the returning loco.

By then, it appears the coaches got swapped over, too but I don't remember it happening when the Radials were in charge and published photos of them working light engine to/from Axminster suggest not.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling

30582 has arrived here.  I had promised myself I'd complete (so far as the RtR catalogues allow) the SR steam fleet for Dorset / Devon once I had seen reviews of both brands.  Whilst I only own the one I'm happy with it and to my mind it looks better than the Oxford version.  It also runs perfectly well though getting the brake rods on was a little tricky.  

I almost persuaded myself to not invest.  There will be a need to downsize the collection in the foreseeable future and the Radial has nowhere to call home.  But for now I'm glad I got one and it will have at least a few outings on the existing layout using suitable SR stock and in the company of other suitable SR steam locos.

Of course the big dilemma, if not modelling the Lyme Regis branch, is how to justify an Adams Radial in the model fleet? I'm sure the local shed could handle all the day-to-day repairs, perhaps even boiler washouts, but for anything heavier, a trip to Exmouth Junction shed, or Yeovil shed, or even Eastleigh Works, would occasionally be required, so there's a good excuse. Furthermore, of the three surviving locos in the 1950s/60s, were all three kept on the branch, or would the third spare be kept away at a parent shed?    

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Of course the big dilemma, if not modelling the Lyme Regis branch, is how to justify an Adams Radial in the model fleet? I'm sure the local shed could handle all the day-to-day repairs, perhaps even boiler washouts, but for anything heavier, a trip to Exmouth Junction shed, or Yeovil shed, or even Eastleigh Works, would occasionally be required, so there's a good excuse. Furthermore, of the three surviving locos in the 1950s/60s, were all three kept on the branch, or would the third spare be kept away at a parent shed?    

Cheers, Brian.

Normally, two were kept at 72A and one at Lyme Regis but they weren't necessarily just stored between stints of duty on the branch.  

There is a fairly well-known photo of two of them double-heading the weed-killing train over the Seaton Branch and there's no reason why they shouldn't have performed the same task on the lines to Sidmouth and Exmouth. The odd one was also reputed to turn up on Seaton branch passenger services occasionally - presumably covering for an unavailable M7. 

Lyme Regis "shed" was pretty basic and AFAIK didn't have any staff apart from train crew nor perform boiler wash-outs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

In Southern Steam in the South and West by Mike Arlett & David Lockett (OPC) there is a photo, dated June 1960, showing 30584 on a 3-coach train, the maximum load permitted for a single Radial on the branch.

The branch set is a Maunsell "2-set W", a BCK plus SO, in this case formed with the van in the middle. The additional coach is a BR Standard 64' non-corridor second, coupled to the passenger end of the BCK. Train is heading towards Lyme Regis so loco chimney first then the n/c 2nd, then BCK then SO. 

These sets were formed quite late and AFAIK only ran in green livery. It's unclear from the photo whether the non-corridor coach was in crimson or green.

John

Colour image taken 6th June 1960 of double headed Lyme Regis-Axminster...30583/4.running both bunker first....indicates BR Crimson.Train has Maunsell open 2nd,Maunsell brake corridor,BR 64' non corridor Crimson and Bulleid set off the down through Waterloo portion returning for re positioning at Axminster.The b&w image taken earlier on the same day of 30584 indicates that the day's regular service was handled by the three coaches mentioned above...a mixed bunch indeed....but modelling it is easy as all three are R-t-r...two,Hornby,one Bachmann.

Of course the big dilemma, if not modelling the Lyme Regis branch, is how to justify an Adams Radial in the model fleet?

That's the big advantage of pre-grouping modelling, when there were more of them, and they covered a much wider area. It's just unfortunate (or maybe in my case fortunate!) that pre-grouping versions aren't available.

• RMweb Gold

Colour image taken 6th June 1960 of double headed Lyme Regis-Axminster...30583/4.running both bunker first....indicates BR Crimson.Train has Maunsell open 2nd,Maunsell brake corridor,BR 64' non corridor Crimson and Bulleid set off the down through Waterloo portion returning for re positioning at Axminster.The b&w image taken earlier on the same day of 30584 indicates that the day's regular service was handled by the three coaches mentioned above...a mixed bunch indeed....but modelling it is easy as all three are R-t-r...two,Hornby,one Bachmann.

Thanks, Ian. I'd missed that one.

However, you'll need a Replica 64' n/c 2nd for the SR, the Bachmann one is the LMR/ER 57-foot type. A year earlier, its function was being fulfilled by an ex-SECR 'Long Ten'.

A bit off topic but I am still hunting through my books for a photo I remember seeing, taken between Tipton St John and Exmouth, of a branch service formed BR 3MT tank + Gresley BCK (Maroon) + BR n/c 2nd (probably crimson) + Stanier BSK (Crimson/cream). Prototype for everything or what?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I think I've come to the decision not to have one (for now). I was looking forward to them when they were first announced, but I didn't really know much about them, now I know what I know, one wouldn't really have a place at all on my layout, and it helps me control my spending being strict with myself on region and era. Doesn't mean I shan't own one in the future ;] 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Ian. I'd missed that one.

However, you'll need a Replica 64' n/c 2nd for the SR, the Bachmann one is the LMR/ER 57-foot type. A year earlier, its function was being fulfilled by an ex-SECR 'Long Ten'.

A bit off topic but I am still hunting through my books for a photo I remember seeing, taken between Tipton St John and Exmouth, of a branch service formed BR 3MT tank + Gresley BCK (Maroon) + BR n/c 2nd (probably crimson) + Stanier BSK (Crimson/cream). Prototype for everything or what?

John

And if I can find it.....I do have such a Replica set. Thank you for that,John.Now for a good ferret in the loft.....A purchase at Warley a few years back.The coachesI mean,not the ferret Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, but was hoping for some idea of which models to get.... ?

Well do you have any idea of which timescale you which to model ? I suggest you do some research by looking at what's been published and photographed on the Adams Radials .No one is going to make any decision for you.There's enough out there to help you,surely.At the moment the BR versions would seem to be the convenient choice as more is documented and known about them and suitable coaching stock readily available.