New Great Western Livery

Doesn't look much like a "livery" to me. It's just a coat of paint :jester:.

I disagree. I do agree though that it looks different from most other newish liveries in that it dosn't comprise of a multitude of different colours, wavey  lines, pictures, or stripes going off at various angles. Apart from the warning panel, it is one  colour and I dont see what's wrong with that. Plenty of diesels painted that way over the years.

• RMweb Premium

I think I saw this livery when they announced new trains for the West of England . Looks pretty drab to me , with GW green for the whole train. It was ok when it was just loco that was Brunswick Green and the coaches were choc and cream, but a whole train in green with some dark green relief doesn't look that great to me

They should really go the whole hog and paint the carriages in chocolate and cream. Just one more time. The publicity value has got to be worth it. It would be a swan song until electrification anyway.

To paraphrase, "The West will rise again".

• Like 5

At least they gave a contrasting colour (grey!) for the roof. It relieves the livery a bit. I wonder whether a grey or black roof might have relieved the EWS livery a little, too, making it look a little more "traditional" in its application.

I don't mind the appearance in the OP's photo, but some of the plain green locos in BR days did look a little drab, even with grey roofs - classes 16 and 37 come to mind here, especially before the application of yellow panels. Still, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and with a simple livery like this one, there's not too much to criticise or go wrong, and it won't take too long to apply, so the locomotives and stock will spend less time out of service for repaints.

I think the loco would be improved with some gold and Black lining. I think the coaches would look smart in chocolate and cream. However it should be done in a way that it modern looking while giving a nod to the past.

I wonder what a class 91 would look like in LNER Apple green?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think there is a big difference between "GWR" green on a steam loco with its complex shapes and the same colour on a diesel "box" with its slab sides. That said, some lining out might be nice; how about three panels along the sides like the old GWR tenders?

BTW is this actually anything like GWR green?

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think there is a big difference between "GWR" green on a steam loco with its complex shapes and the same colour on a diesel "box" with its slab sides. That said, some lining out might be nice; how about three panels along the sides like the old GWR tenders?

BTW is this actually anything like GWR green?

Agree with that, plain colours work much better on complex shapes like steam locos (which have their shapes to look interesting anyway) but not so much on simpler ones, whether it's a diesel loco or an EMU or anything else. Getting a decent livery is a much harder job on, well, just about anything post-steam. It's a hard balance to get right though (and obviously very subjective).

Still, I prefer this to something garish and tacky.

Edited by Reorte

This has appeared in the Class 57 pictures thread but I can't find a stand-alone thread for it.

A new Great Western livery (with tiny "A FirstGroup Company" writing) is appearing on Night Riviera Mk3s and at least one Class 57:

https://flic.kr/p/uN86Cs

18818537041_d3a56b05d9_c.jpg57605 Derby RTC 13-6-2015 by Darren Harris, on Flickr

Well I think it looks quite lovely and I can't wait to see what a HST will look like in the new livery or even a class 150.

The only question I would add, is there going to be any kind of GW branding added and what might that look like.

Agree with that, plain colours work much better on complex shapes like steam locos (which have their shapes to look interesting anyway) but not so much on simpler ones, ...

Not sure I agree with you: the first GNER livery - all-blue - is still to my eyes the best of the privatisation liveries (certainly the best to have had the ECML franchise).

Other tastes are available.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not sure I agree with you: the first GNER livery - all-blue - is still to my eyes the best of the privatisation liveries (certainly the best to have had the ECML franchise).

Other tastes are available.

Didn't that have a red stripe, or was that a later one? It doesn't need to be a lot of variation for me, I liked the one I remember seeing (although the wrong side of the country to me so I didn't see it very often). I definitely have a preference for darker colours (except perhaps for BR's former "completely covered in grime" one).

• RMweb Premium

I assume there is a number somewhere on the body, or are we back to the 19th century with the number just on the solebar mounted plate?

And compared with the 47 in green it does look much bluer. Is this just the photo or is it really a different colour?

Jonathan

It's a new shade of green not a reuse of the classic shade. All the FGW 57s have cast plates with the number on, carried on the right hand side of the body, so just out of the shot.

The mk3s that have been done so far have a Matt green stripe on them and silver doors. I think we're a way off seeing how this livery will look, yet

jo